C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

positraction problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Default positraction problem?

I have the rear end out, sitting on the floor with the back cover off. I can grab both side yokes and turn them in opposite directions, not easily, but I can do it. Should I be able to do this?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:48 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. There is a specification for the force that should be necessary to slip the clutches. Remember it is not really positraction, but limited slip. There are clutches in there that allow for slippage around turns etc, but when the heavy force of acceleration is applied, the spider gears try to separate and apply pressure to the clutches, which tightens up the rear.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks! Any idea where I could find the force spec?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Check your GM manual, The break away force is 40+ ft/lbs while the other wheel is locked up. This is a rather wide range in my opinion as soem break away at 20 and work fine others don't. Do you still have the 4 springs in there? Do you have the posi apart? There's a lot to this but if you do a search on my name you should find a lot info and pictures. If you can't find it or have questions PM me and I'll help you out.
Here is a good start for you.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...684&forum_id=3
Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
PureSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Check your GM manual, The break away force is 40+ ft/lbs while the other wheel is locked up. This is a rather wide range in my opinion as soem break away at 20 and work fine others don't. Do you still have the 4 springs in there? Do you have the posi apart? There's a lot to this but if you do a search on my name you should find a lot info and pictures. If you can't find it or have questions PM me and I'll help you out.
Here is a good start for you.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...684&forum_id=3

gtr1999 is THE GURU when it comes to these. His info made it real easy for me to do this work. Thanks again, Gary!

Get notified of new replies

To positraction problem?

Quick Reply: positraction problem?