C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
H2O-V
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions

I’m sure this is not the first time, but I couldn’t seem to find enough archived threads to satisfy my dilemma, so..

I know the technical info on poly versus rubber, but I guess I’m looking for real personal experience factors, to help me in decision for my own specifics. No, I’m not planning on racing, but sure, I’ll rev it up and take that 20 mph freeway on ramp as fast as I can… is poly going to make that much diff? Of course I want the most responsive setup, but I installed poly in my 240Z and it sure seemed to stiffen things up over those railroad tracks, and this is a daily driver. Of course, I would not be looking forward to replacing those trailing arm bushings more than once in a lifetime… but will I need to… although I do drive the car for business, around 2000 miles a month. Also, someone posted recently how their experience with poly proved that they don’t always fit the best, and I can do the work, but is it really worth it?

Ok, let’s hear it…
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 PM
kona
Drifting

I'll start things off I prefer Rubber. Next...
Old 02-13-2006, 06:04 PM
H2O-V
Advanced

thanx kona, any particular reasons why... experiences?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM
lordmatt
Instructor

I have to go for rubber, although I haven't done it in the vette yet, I've put rubber in all my other vehicles (esp lifted trucks) and it sure makes a big difference in the stiffness value! I'll be putting rubber in the vette asap.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had to do it again I would use rubber everywhere with the exception of the trailing arms and differential carrier bushing. The poly transmits all the vibration throughout the car and it gets annoying.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:47 PM
63vert
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished the front suspension on my 74 last year, everyone I spoke with had me sold on poly. One thing I found out was on the control arm bushings, when you go with poly some if not most of the manufacturer's use an inner sleeve that doesn't have the teeth which allows the bolts on the upper control arm cross shaft to loosen up. I went with oem rubber rather than carry a torc wrench when I drove the car. I did use poly everywhere else I could, just remember to use the lube to avoid the squeeks. Poly lasts quite a bit longer but isn't as forgiving as rubber, talk to the boys at VBP. They helped me put together a package for the way I wanted the car to handle (like its on rails) and I'm very happy with what I got.

]I’m sure this is not the first time, but I couldn’t seem to find enough archived threads to satisfy my dilemma, so..

I know the technical info on poly versus rubber, but I guess I’m looking for real personal experience factors, to help me in decision for my own specifics. No, I’m not planning on racing, but sure, I’ll rev it up and take that 20 mph freeway on ramp as fast as I can… is poly going to make that much diff? Of course I want the most responsive setup, but I installed poly in my 240Z and it sure seemed to stiffen things up over those railroad tracks, and this is a daily driver. Of course, I would not be looking forward to replacing those trailing arm bushings more than once in a lifetime… but will I need to… although I do drive the car for business, around 2000 miles a month. Also, someone posted recently how their experience with poly proved that they don’t always fit the best, and I can do the work, but is it really worth it?

Ok, let’s hear it… [/QUOTE]
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
carhound
Instructor

I went with the rubber. The guys at the Ktown vette expo convinced me to go with rubber because of the ride stiffness
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 698 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I went with rubber components (all Moog) in the front end rebuild on mine this winter. Some of the comments about vibration/harshness is what steered me from the poly. I did use poly on the stablizer end links though as they take quite a beating.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
H2O-V
Advanced

this is what i was looking for..
thanx all... so far.

i really like the idea of connecting with VBP with my specific needs, thanx safire74.

(funny, no one posting posative for poly, that surprised me, most likely due to the driving needs i specified... not racing)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'll cast my vote in favor of poly. If for no other reason than the fact that poly will last longer than rubber. I don't want to have to redo my suspension every 5 years if I can keep from it.

Last edited by LS-Five; 02-13-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Sort of shocked...I would have thought poly hands down.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta say poly, though I'm building a hotrod not a touring sedan...

1) sometime in the car's history the front end was rebuilt with poly and they're still good.

2) motor mounts and trans mounts were rubber and were shot. Replaced with poly and am very pleased.

3) the back end is rubber and was worn out. I replaced the differential mount and spring rubbers last year and they are already cracking. I bought poly at the same time. I will be replacing all of the rubber this spring when I put in the new diff, trailing arms, and strut rods (6 link)

4) I am replacing the suspension links with rod ends and seals to hold grease, I will rifle drill the trailing arm bolts and install grease fittings.

With a big block, no side windows, and sidepipes who can hear the suspension anyway?

Last edited by 84rzv500r; 02-13-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: there, their, and they're
Old 02-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I put poly on mine everywhere so far except the motor mounts and tranny mounts. I am happy with mine so far.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

poly here too
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is 100% poly from the engine mounts to the suspension bushings, no rubber in mine at all. my car will sit alot and rubber will deteriorate
over time.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Used rubber and not sorry. It is all I need for a street car but I have never used poly. I would recommend using known quality parts. I am learning there is a definite differance in the quality of parts in general from differant suppliers.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
bickel
Instructor

have a full set of polly for my car will install soon. installed in my old camaro world of diffreance sunday driving is nice but now and then you have to stomp in dat azz and I want the car to stick to the road! performance screams polly

Get notified of new replies

To I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions

Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Rubber is fine and will theoretically give a smoother ride. Most who tout how much better the car is with poly were replacing worn out rubber so it's hard to make a true comparison. I've never seen anyone post that they installed all new rubber and then pulled it out to try poly. That would be a fair comparison.

But, I went with poly with both my garage queens. Neither is a daily driver and I can take the occasional shock from the poly. But in reality, it's not that bad. In fact, I don't notice the difference in ride harshness in either car. In both cars, the rubber was in very good shape. I can't say that the handling improvement is at all noticeable. Maybe it would show up on a timed circuit, but it doesn't feel any different on the street.

No doubt, the poly will hold up better but how long is that on most of our cars?

The Vette does squeek when I go over a very high speed bump slowly, but never on anything else.

Poly is a lot easier for the average guy to install as a DIY project. Rubber will take some expertise since the bushings have to be pressed in and you need a brace for the control arms.

So, from my perspective, it's pretty much a wash.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Basically polyurethane lasts longer, which is the main reason people use it. That's why I went to poly.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kona
I'll start things off I prefer Rubber. Next...

I replaced mine with factory rubber...replaced the solid body mounts with 73 rubber as well...had enough of bone jarring rides and cringe when approaching bumps....rubber gives a nice ride, and no loss in handling.

Quick Reply: I’m opening the door on poly versus rubber… this is an invite for all opinions