C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Ball Joint Help

Well no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm trying to install new front coil springs (550#) and KYB shocks to get some height back on my front end.

I've been attempting to pop the lower ball joint using a pickle fork and I'll I've done is destroy a rubber boot....so I switch to the top ball joint thinking it may be easier...apparently not and now I've destroyed two rubber boots. The ball joints are original so I'm opting to go ahead and replace them but I'm still at square one trying to get either ball joint to pop. It seems like the wedge really isn't big enough on the end to cause enough spread so I'm off to Sears to see a variety of pickle forks.

If anyone has some suggestions other then purchasing an air compressor with an air hammer, I'm listening.

I sprayed some more PB and I'll let that set overnight as well.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM
chris73cpe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pickle forks work really well as long as you are replacing the ball joint anyway, maybe try a bigger hammer. What I ended up doing for my lower balljoints was drilling out the rivets on the control arm with the steering knuckle still attatched. It seems kinda bass ackwards, but once that's off the car, the lower ball joint pops out real easy with a hammer.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 PM
klwray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try autozone and borrow one of their ball joint removal tools. It looks like a big gear removal tool and fits over the steering knuckle arm and the ball joint. Use a 1/2 drive ratchet and socket and tighten the nut until the ball joint pops. I needed a helper bar to fit over the ratchet handle to increase leverage, but the joint popped eventually. Saves the boot, but also effective if you are changing the ball joints.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your ball joints are like the ones on my 79, you will find 2 bolts securing the joint to the lower control arm. One has a thick head that acts as a steering bumper. They might be so encrusted with grease and dirt that you might not have even noticed that they are there. If you unbolt those and unscrew the nut on the shaft the joint should come right out. Make sure you have a jack under the control arm before you take out any bolts, and you should be able to lower the jack and release the spring pressure. Be careful. If you aren't sure of what you are doing get someone knowlegeable to help you. You could have a very angry spring flying around if you don't take steps to restrain it.

Rick B.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Mine are still originals and there appears to be two large rivets in addition to the top nut holding the ball joint on the control arm. No issues there, I'm trying to get the knuckle assembly to drop from the lower shaft on the ball joint. I've got the nut back off about 1/4" and a jack on the lower control arm taking the tension out.

I think I'll go to Autozone for a puller or check out Sears. I think my pickle fork is just doesn't have a tall enough wedge to force them apart.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have found the same problem. There is nothing solid to wedge against, just the boot and the spindle. Get yourself one of these.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Yep, picked up a 2-arm 5 ton gear puller and a full set of pickle forks from Sears. I'm going to try the gear puller first as the forks look pretty much like the ones I got from AdvanceAuto...maybe a thicker in the wedge and certainly better quality. Hopefully the PB soaking overnight will help things a little as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Ball Joint Help

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Help