C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight opening adjusment??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:49 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Headlight opening adjusment??

On my '81, the right headlight does not go up high enough...the bulb adjusters are at their max and still the light beams hit the ground...it needs to go up a bit more. Is there an adjustment for this? Where? I found the closing adjustment...but can I adjust how far it opens? There is no actuator on this side at this time..so I know that is not what limits it.

Thanks,
LannyL81
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should get yourself a GM Service manual or an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for detail on this and many other service proceedures.

The upward motion of the bezel is usually controlled by the actuator rod. You need to remove the springs and the cotter pin from the actuator rod and then turn or unscrew the actuator rod until it is at the proper level. There is a switch that activates a warning light if the headlamp is not fully opened. You need to make sure that it opens fully and closes the switch after you make the actuator adjustments.

It looks and sounds much simplier if you have the AIM diagrams.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two "L" shaped brackets. One on each side. When the lights go up the hit the framing stopping the light at a certain height. Loosen them up. Lift your light to the height you want and tighten them again.

Jim
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Two "L" shaped brackets. One on each side. When the lights go up the hit the framing stopping the light at a certain height. Loosen them up. Lift your light to the height you want and tighten them again.

Jim
Jim,
I saw the two "L" shaped brackets...but they are not hitting the frame when the light is up on either side. The lifting arm locks before they hit. Its this lifting arm that needs to be adjusted so that it raises higher before it locks. This is what I have not figured out how to adjust.

Buggys1970,
I have the Assembly Manual for my '81, not very clear. And like I wrote, I have the actuator removed, so that is not what is limiting the height. Also the warning light switch was removed in the design by '81.

Thanks,
LannyL81
Old 02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Try this link

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...oor+adjustment
Old 02-07-2006, 03:11 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LannyL81
On my '81, the right headlight does not go up high enough...the bulb adjusters are at their max and still the light beams hit the ground...it needs to go up a bit more. Is there an adjustment for this? Where? I found the closing adjustment...but can I adjust how far it opens? There is no actuator on this side at this time..so I know that is not what limits it.

Thanks,
LannyL81
There is a bracket on each side held in place with three screws. The headlight door has a pin on each side that inserts into these brackets.Its a up or down pivit motion. On the pin is a stop with an alan key screw. These stops control the left and right adjustment. Sometimes the alan key screws hit the body when the door is raised preventing it form going up completely. Check yours. Sometimes people replace the alan key screw with a bolt...this will definitely jam up.

I've done this adjustment but it was way back in 2004. My cars in storage so I can't even look to refresh my memory.

Jim
Old 02-07-2006, 10:46 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Default Done!!

Got it. There are three bolts that hold a bracket for the raising arm and the ends of two springs which has slots. I simply loosened the bolts, had to unhook the two springs...and then slid it to the other end of the slots. This gave me almost 1/4" higher...which is probably more than I need. Very easy to do, once I found the third bolt that is hidden in the center of the bracket....can't see it...but was able to feel it.

Thanks for all the help.

LannyL81
Old 02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BUGGSY1970
...then turn or unscrew the actuator rod until it is at the proper level. ...
not to be critical, but in the way of a better explanation, the actuator rod is NOT adjustable. it doesn't screw in or unscrew out. it is the clevis that is adjustable. this is the device with the hole in it that goes through the lift mechanism and is secured with the rod and held in place by the load springs. you will do serious damage to the actuator if you try to turn the rod

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight opening adjusment??

Quick Reply: Headlight opening adjusment??