C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know where to have stuff CNC machined?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default anyone know where to have stuff CNC machined?

I think there was some kind of online machine shop but I can't find it...from what I remember it was Desertdawg that had the link to it since he wanted a quote for the heatch brackets for 82 CE's

I don't like my steel caliper brackets so I want to have some milled from 6061-T6, I have a solidworks drawing of them ...anyone know a company that would be able to use that and mill a pair? BTW, anyone know how to export something in solidworks that can be used as a program in a CNC machine??? I'm new to this stuff...I've never used this before, only autocad which sucks.

Here's my solidworks model
Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
jah1226
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RE: anyone know where to have stuff CNC machined

Any machine shop with a small cnc lathe should be able to do the job. Since this is a relatively small part, and not that complex, so you should be able to give them a fully dimensioned 2-d drawing and have it done quickly. If you have access to Autocad, you should be able to import the solidworks drawing, then export the mass properties to the media of your choice, then take it to the machinist. In autocad this command is massprop, and then you can write the data to file. Nice drawing though.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:40 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

A way I do any piece. Make out of balsa wood and then duplicates in the material of choice.Make me a model and I can duplicate in alum exactly.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

How are you going to replicate a wooden model? Isn't a design drawing much easier to do and more accurate?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:32 PM
0Corvette Engineering
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
How are you going to replicate a wooden model? Isn't a design drawing much easier to do and more accurate?
Marck,
Just look in the phone book for a local machine shop, give em a call, ask if they are interested, if so go talk to them personally. Show them the 3d drawing above and have 2d isometric drawings also. Ask for a quote on 1 or 2 sets ( or whatever you want).

If they are not interested move on, lots of machine shops around, there's got to be a few within driving distance of you. Don't do the internet thing, you really need to see these people face to face.

They probably want a 2D isometric drawing to do the quote, but may want an export file for the real thing. Autocad is popular on this side of the pond.

Keith
Old 12-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I called some local machine shops and was given a referal to a local cnc machine shop. He is milling my wheels adapters right now.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Local machine shops won't touch this stuff, no one wants to take the job...things work differently than in the US here, as in most companies are not very helpful at all when it comes to helping out the little guy..or they must be able to make a good amount of money.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:21 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local machine shops won't touch this stuff, no one wants to take the job...things work differently than in the US here, as in most companies are not very helpful at all when it comes to helping out the little guy..or they must be able to make a good amount of money.
that sucks
Old 12-24-2005, 02:40 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Why does it have to be CNC'd ? Any tool maker should be able to layout the piece of aluminum and then make it on a manual mill, this is how things were done before the advent of CNC's. CNC's are good for production pieces, but a manual mill is just as capable in the right hands You may be able to just take your steel pieces and ask if the shop can replicate them in aluminum, then they can take the direct dimensions off the stock pieces
Old 12-24-2005, 03:06 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

tt,

http://www.emachineshop.com/

or you could do like i did and use the search function to find out everybody who bought one of Corvette Engineerings original brackets and bug the shi+ out of them until they sell you theirs. Don't know if the offset will be right for the massive calipers you are boltiing on though.

Kieth,

looks a lot like your original brackets. I've been abusing them for almost a year now and they are holding up great. You da man.

Last edited by turtlevette; 12-24-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

The machine I have acess to will put your piece in it and trace a copy of it, record all measurements and then make it.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Mike (big632)OH damn..that's neat..can't it load a cad drawing of some sort and work from there?

Other Mike (smokedtires) yes, a hand mill will work also..but i have neither and since CNC is faster than hand operation it may in fact be cheaper to have them done that way instead of the whole manual route.

turtle, my brackets ar for 5,25" GT mounts, not the 3,5" ones.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:30 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

Marck It can Im sure but I dont know how to get them drawings to them.If you can send them I can forward to them for making.A piece in hand is easy. I just hand it to them and bang its made exactly like the original.Right now I just gave them- are inside door handles to make out of billet alum ,bolt on and way nicer. Will be available in jan.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:32 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

turtle, my brackets ar for 5,25" GT mounts, not the 3,5" ones.
We've been through this umpteen times. Mine are 5.25. I just don't know if the offset is correct for calipers larger than the dynalite.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Oh, I thought you said yours were 5,25" ...but my calipers are probably different as the mounting ears are quite long and the caliper has a lot of offset on the ears, as much as 20mm.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

send me your brackets turtle I will try them LOL
Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

If you find someone that can do the CNC work for you, they will probably ask for your .STL or .IGS file (options under "File, Save As").

Otherwise, you'll need some program to generate G-code from an .STL file such as BobCAD (www.bobcad.com).

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To anyone know where to have stuff CNC machined?

Old 12-24-2005, 09:28 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2 friends that have NC mills. One is new, the same one that Jessy James uses on the tv show. I have seen some fantastic work comming out of it.
The problem is they would want about $50 per hour and it is strictly a material and time thing so the price will get pricy.
You are giving me an idea if I run out of work this winter.
While I don't have a NC machine I could still use the manual mill and use the digital readout for laying out the holes. The rest is eyeball but you cut it out first on a band saw and then clean it up.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:14 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The stuff we've designed in the Motorsports program is exported through at least two programs to get it in the format that the CNC operator wants it in. I would find out what the place you use is accustomed to. It might be as simple as save-as or might take some more effort. I would consider a manual mill for this relatively simple part although I understand the urge for the cool-factor and compter-controlled-perfection of CNC. Up to you.

Those models look great, how're you liking the learning curve? The graphic interface makes it mostly childsplay. Oh and if you can pattern in those fins I'm sure you can pattern some holes into that rotor

-Chris

btw, what are those two studs floating around in space in the third picture?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Chris, those studs are the mounting points on the spindle, I was too lame to model the spindle...this was quicker The middle one is the centerline/axis

The program itself is pretty simply, found it very easy to get accustomed to.

Norval, I never understood why you reworked those stockers when you have a digital readout mill...I would make my own from billet if I had your equipment.

Quick Reply: anyone know where to have stuff CNC machined?