C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
WRH
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joints

Cannot find a source for Spicer u-joints. Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

Van Steel carries them I think. Supporting vendor too.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely check with Dan at Van Steel. Although I think I remember a recent post regarding u-joints where Dan said they are recommending a different brand now because Spicer is using some plastic parts that tend to crack on installation.

The only thing worse than my short-term memory is my long-term memory, so call Dan to get the straight scoop.

Rick B.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:03 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I have Spicers and can install them if you want. I'll PM you.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr1999
I have Spicers and can install them if you want. I'll PM you.
Gary is a top notch A #1 guy. One of the best around here...
Eddie
Old 12-16-2005, 08:07 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

Default I know GTR1999 does great work

If you don't go with him, Look up Local Driveshaft Service in Yellow Pages,Call them an get a price on the joints Spicer Life forged and installations. I learned about this too late and paid $10 each too much. Corvette vendors want 28-32 each, my local shop only wanted 19 for the half-shaft u-joints spicer life and 16 for the drive-shaft. Charged $7.50 per u-joint to install. I wish I had done this to begin with and avoided bending my half-shaft flanges on the press I spent $99 on.

Yes the Spicer life do have an issue with the plastic dust boot seal cracking during installation, the driveshaft shop showed me a half-box full of them, they are okay once you get them installed, and the local shop should have the boots in stock. I asked the local shop which were best the Spicer Life or the Neabco? and they said the spicers were stronger. This shop builds a lot of custom driveshafts for drag cars 8-9 second ETA and says the spicer lifes have never come back.

These joints are used on a lot of 4 x 4 too, replaced them on my 100+k Explorer the other day while I had the tranny out for a clutch replacement. There were still useable but I went ahead and did it while the shafts were out.

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by b71vette
If you don't go with him, Look up Local Driveshaft Service in Yellow Pages,Call them an get a price on the joints Spicer Life forged and installations. I learned about this too late and paid $10 each too much. Corvette vendors want 28-32 each, my local shop only wanted 19 for the half-shaft u-joints spicer life and 16 for the drive-shaft. Charged $7.50 per u-joint to install. I wish I had done this to begin with and avoided bending my half-shaft flanges on the press I spent $99 on.

Yes the Spicer life do have an issue with the plastic dust boot seal cracking during installation, the driveshaft shop showed me a half-box full of them, they are okay once you get them installed, and the local shop should have the boots in stock. I asked the local shop which were best the Spicer Life or the Neabco? and they said the spicers were stronger. This shop builds a lot of custom driveshafts for drag cars 8-9 second ETA and says the spicer lifes have never come back. These joints are used on a lot of 4 x 4 too, replaced them on my 100+k Explorer the other day while I had the tranny out for a clutch replacement. There were still useable but I went ahead and did it while the shafts were out.Good Luck
Go to a nearby driveshaft shop. If you can't locate one easily ... go to a HEAVY truck repair garage ... ask there ... they'll know. You'll find ujoint & labor prices at driveline shop are reasonable ... PLUS ... if they bend a yoke ... they'll fix it on their dime. If you try and do it yourself you may not have good luck. BTW ... it's spelled Neapco ... a driveline shop'll have spicer & neapco ... DO specify you want ujoints with NO grease/zerk holes.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 PM
rastadr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default why?

dont you want grease fittings so you can grease them periodically?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:13 PM
New
Intermediate

Hi!

Do you have u-joints Spicer life serie (1350) with no grease/zerk holes?? Or what do you recommend?

Get notified of new replies

To U-joints

Quick Reply: U-joints