C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

single wire alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

undefined
Originally Posted by rjkehoe
After several attempts at getting a 3 wire alternator to work on my 77 I broke down and installed a single wire 10 SI alternator. 10g wire from bat terminal to positive battery lead and it didn't work. Any tricks or suggestions???
After quite a few attemps 0n mt 70 for same problem (three wire alternator)I traced it to the fuse box.There were 2 yellow wires that came down out of wiring harness below drivers side windshield post.One of these wires were disconnected.test the conecter on alt.one has power all the time and one has power with ignition switch on.Mine had no power with switch on.Anyway when i hooked this wire up to fuse box terminal that says ignition,checked connector again with
tester it now had power.Pluged it back up and works fine.Now my three wire alt. works great.Ithink this yellow wire goes to starter or maybe the ignition switch.Forget what the diagram said.Good luck
Ron
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After several attempts at getting a 3 wire alternator to work on my 77 I broke down and installed a single wire 10 SI alternator. 10g wire from bat terminal to positive battery lead and it didn't work. Any tricks or suggestions???
Exactly where is the "positive battery lead" you are connecting to?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

UPDATE:

When replacing a 3 wire with a Powermster 1 wire, the ignition wire (brown factory wire) to the 2 post terminal will serve to excite the alternator to charge at idle. Even though the other post (regulator) does nothing on the Powermaster. It may be beneficial to install the Powermaster 1 wire as a three wire to take advantage of this feature and have the option of using a 3 wire alternator in an emergency.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

All that being said, I still want my idiot light. Gimme a real 3-wire.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Lots of opinions here...good arguments for the 3 wire indeed! I too have a 77.

I have the summit branded 100 amp variety alternator.... I took both red wires from the 3 wire setup (they should connect downstream anyhow) and ditched the third wire. There is one 10g wire from the alternator to a distribution point on my fender well. This feeds my electric fan setup and the factory wiring. I've added no additional loads to the factory wiring. The only time I have an issue is if the car is not running and the ignition is on the ON position. This will backfeed from the car's system into the fan. Easily resolved with a diode to block the backfeed.

If I had to do it again.. I'd stick with a 3 wire high output alternator. Hook one additional 8 or 10 gauge wire to the alternator output to a distribution point for any add-on accessories like fans, fuel pump etc. Just don't add anything to the factory electrical system and make sure it's in good shape...that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

-Matt
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
All that being said, I still want my idiot light. Gimme a real 3-wire.
I'm not really defending one or three wire, just trying to share information. The one wire (Powermaster) will run the idiot light if hooked up like a three wire or with the brown wire connected to the spade closest to the battery terminal.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:28 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

If God intended alternators to have only one wire, they would have been made that way.

Last edited by shafrs3; 12-12-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I am real confused now. I got a 100 amp chrome Powerwhatsit from Summit and connnected it three wire like the catalogue said I could. Sometimes the idiot light would be on and sometimes it wouldn't. The alt. would always show it was outputting. Thinking it was bad I sent it back ($58 so it would get there fast) last Friday. When I called Sum.... I told them to replace it with a 140 amp model....an extra 80-90 $ . Called Sum.... today and they say it is a three wire. Their cat. says It is easily converted to a one wire. Now I have no idea what I will be getting.

Quick Reply: single wire alternator problems