C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:23 PM
evalu8r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sold. That is exactly what I want. Thanks Tom.

Chris
Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by tersian
Tom,

Can I wire this into the old supplied sender and I see you need an additional relay to control a second fan, I am assuming I can re-use the relay I currently have from your original setup?
You can (actually must) use the relay harness with the controller for dual fans. When you use a controller with dual fans you should wire one fan (primary) with the controller, and the second fan (secondary) with the relay harness. The control will ramp the primary fan speed up until it gets to full speed, then it kicks the relay harness on and the second fan goes on full. The primary fan drops down and begins the ramping again as required.

I don't know what type of sender you have but the 195 & 185 switches that we used to supply with the harnesses will not work with the controller. These were "switches" which are on/off devices. The controller works with an analog device that varies the signal (ohms). If you have this type of device, it should work ok. The controller comes with a standard GM type oval (two prong) connector. If your's is a single prong, simply cut the plug off, and use the green wire only to your sender.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
You can (actually must) use the relay harness with the controller for dual fans. When you use a controller with dual fans you should wire one fan (primary) with the controller, and the second fan (secondary) with the relay harness. The control will ramp the primary fan speed up until it gets to full speed, then it kicks the relay harness on and the second fan goes on full. The primary fan drops down and begins the ramping again as required.

I don't know what type of sender you have but the 195 & 185 switches that we used to supply with the harnesses will not work with the controller. These were "switches" which are on/off devices. The controller works with an analog device that varies the signal (ohms). If you have this type of device, it should work ok. The controller comes with a standard GM type oval (two prong) connector. If your's is a single prong, simply cut the plug off, and use the green wire only to your sender.
I installed one of these controllers in my 69 (Dual Spal's and Dewitt Alum. Rad) last spring and it has been fabulous. There is a previous thread in which I provided information on the Temp Sensor that I added to the passenger head specifically for the controller. Rock solid installation and temperature control.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flex-a-lite has a similar product available at summit p/n FLX-31165.
*soft start ramp-up eliminates sudden start-up shock to electrical system
*adjustable on/off settings
*30 second run after engine shut-off
*30 amp rated
*under $80.00
*you don't need an extra relay
*no I don't work for summit or flex-a-lite

I have this on my car driving Becool's dual 11" set-up (spal fans), works great.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Boofers
Drifting

If you have a lot of time on your hands (like me) you could just make your own PWM fan driver circuit.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:37 AM
tersian
Pro

I have the old type on/off sender with the threaded nut on the top. I replaced my standard GM temp sender with it and now I can't find it. So now I have to buy a standard GM sender from you(or GM) to replace the one I bought from you to run the PWM unit I'm going to buy from you. I think I see a trend here

Thanks for the info Tom.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:05 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The temp sender is Borg/Warner #WT3000 Available any parts house under $20.00
Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 AM
rastadr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

i havent really investigated how its wired, but mine come on with the ignition key. i never really questioned this as in miami, we almost always run the ac and for the most part, ambient air is above 80.. were in the coldest part of the year now and it was still 76 by 3pm . can there be any problem with this? running them always?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Puller fans are like vacuum cleaners, sucking air through the radiator core. Spal lists a range of air flow/amperage for different restrictions in front of the fan. The thicker the radiator or density of fin, the higher the restriction. The higher the restriction, the higher the amp draw. Just like when you put your hand over the vacuum hose, you can hear that motor scream. In most cases, you can use the middle of the range to estimate your air flow/amperage unless of course you're doing something really special.
Well I said that makes perfect sense but after a second thought I don't think the vacuum cleaners motor is screaming because of a greater load, it's screaming because of the lack of load; it has no air to pump and is freewheeling. And if that is true the amperage draw should go down.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Originally Posted by shafrs3
Well I said that makes perfect sense but after a second thought I don't think the vacuum cleaners motor is screaming because of a greater load, it's screaming because of the lack of load; it has no air to pump and is freewheeling. And if that is true the amperage draw should go down.
The term load implies opposing force. The more restriction to airflow, the higher the load.

Apply Voltage to an electric motor, put an ammeter in series with it and squeeze the shaft with your fingers as it spins. You will see that the current reading will rise. Your fingers squeezing the shaft increases the load on the motor.

In its most basic form: Power = Voltage * Current. By squeezing the rotating shaft you are demanding more power from the motor. Voltage stays constant so Current must rise in order for Power to rise.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boofers
The term load implies opposing force. The more restriction to airflow, the higher the load.

Apply Voltage to an electric motor, put an ammeter in series with it and squeeze the shaft with your fingers as it spins. You will see that the current reading will rise. Your fingers squeezing the shaft increases the load on the motor.

In its most basic form: Power = Voltage * Current. By squeezing the rotating shaft you are demanding more power from the motor. Voltage stays constant so Current must rise in order for Power to rise.

The fans are pumps trying to move air, or the load. The restriction is on the suction side of the pump.
If you loose some suction, you'll loose some of the load, if you loose all suction you'll loose all load. Your right, squeezing the shaft would increase load.

Last edited by shafrs3; 01-16-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

We have now changed to standardize on the SPWM (controller) for our fan controls. The older relay package and switch is still available but I think Spal will eventually drop it because the controller does so much more. The SPWM controls one fan by itself and for dual fans you need to buy the extra relay harness (SPFRH). You never want to wire the fans together or in series. Each fan should be individually fused and protected so you loose a fuse, not a fan.
The SPWM will ramp the fan speed as needed instead of running full blast. It is also capable of using the stock temp (gauge) sending units so you do not have to install anything into the engine, simply tap off the gauge sender. The controller has a two-prong plug for the sender and a lot of the older ones are single. This can still work by using the green wire only. But just to make sure that you are not going to have trouble, we now include a two prong switch with each controller. When you run two fans (duals) the controller works in conjunction with a relay harness. You then have a primary and secondary system. The controller ramps up the primary fan and if it gets to full speed, then it kicks on the seconday fan and starts ramping the primary again. It has auto AC accuation if you have that feature. Direct link
Purchased mine from Tom this past summer and LOVE IT! Much more quite when hitting the Starbucks' Drive Thru!

Quick Reply: Spal Wiring