Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
enkeivette
CF Senior Member
 
enkeivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default How does a line lock work?

I realize that it locks the front brakes, but how? And how hard is it to install? Any links for me?
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
GDaina
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

 
GDaina's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: In Dreams There Is Truth Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to GDaina
Default

solenoid switch activates the front brakes...
GDaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
enkeivette
CF Senior Member
 
enkeivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

OK, cool. Here's a link I found. Now for the stupid question, can a line lock also be used as a parking brake?
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
Gordonm
CF Senior Member
 
Gordonm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Voorhees NJ
Default

No. Well sort of. The selonoid is only designed to work for a little while. If you left it on it would burn itself out. It is also not good to leave hyd pressure on for long periods of time. It will leak down some and your "parking brake" will no longer be parking but rolling. It is designed to be used for short periods of time 10 to 15 seconds.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
enkeivette
CF Senior Member
 
enkeivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonm
No. Well sort of. The selonoid is only designed to work for a little while. If you left it on it would burn itself out. It is also not good to leave hyd pressure on for long periods of time. It will leak down some and your "parking brake" will no longer be parking but rolling. It is designed to be used for short periods of time 10 to 15 seconds.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
PRNDL
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Huntersville NC
Mark Jackson @TraderJaxon
Send a message via AIM to PRNDL
Default

Main purpose is to lock front wheels while you a do a burnout at the drag strip, but it also can be used instead of your parking brake for making graceful uphill starts at a stop sign. (without any backward drift).

Here is my writeup:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show..._id=119&arch=1
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
aussiejohn
CF Senior Member

 
aussiejohn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: The only Corvettes in Highett Victoria
Default Line un-locks?????

Guys,
As a keen drag racing fan, I've seen my fair share of cars fitted with line locks, but for a long while I've been thinking that they're designed "bass ackward". Let me explain. When they are fitted as directed, you plant your foot on the brakes, locking all FOUR brakes on. You flick the switch and the solenoid closes a valve on the front brake circiut and the brake fluid does not flow from the front brakes back to the master cylinder when you take your foot off the brake. Of course, the rear brakes release and the wheels spin when you hit the gas.

Trouble is, if the car goes sideways and you need to correct, the front wheels are locked on and there is not a lot you can do but turn the wheel and hope (!!!!) it straightens up. You can release the transbrake but, as soon as you touch the brakes again, the rear wheels will slow down as well. Not ideal!

However, what if the line lock was inserted in the REAR brake system? When disengaged, all four brakes would apply when you touched the pedal, but when engaged, it would prevent fluid from reaching the rear brakes. This way you could get the tyres spinning, but you could modulate the speed of the car by using the brake pedal that operated the FRONT WHEELS ONLY. This would appear to be a far better way to use a line lock. Obviously, we're talking rear wheel drive!! Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
norvalwilhelm
CF Senior Member
 
norvalwilhelm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: Waterloo ontario Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Guys,
As a keen drag racing fan, I've seen my fair share of cars fitted with line locks, but for a long while I've been thinking that they're designed "bass ackward". Let me explain. When they are fitted as directed, you plant your foot on the brakes, locking all FOUR brakes on. You flick the switch and the solenoid closes a valve on the front brake circiut and the brake fluid does not flow from the front brakes back to the master cylinder when you take your foot off the brake. Of course, the rear brakes release and the wheels spin when you hit the gas.

Trouble is, if the car goes sideways and you need to correct, the front wheels are locked on and there is not a lot you can do but turn the wheel and hope (!!!!) it straightens up. You can release the transbrake but, as soon as you touch the brakes again, the rear wheels will slow down as well. Not ideal!

However, what if the line lock was inserted in the REAR brake system? When disengaged, all four brakes would apply when you touched the pedal, but when engaged, it would prevent fluid from reaching the rear brakes. This way you could get the tyres spinning, but you could modulate the speed of the car by using the brake pedal that operated the FRONT WHEELS ONLY. This would appear to be a far better way to use a line lock. Obviously, we're talking rear wheel drive!! Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Line locks have a safety fiture built into them. You can apply the line lock and then hit the brakes and the fluid still passes through the line lock. This is prevent the linelock from accidently being applied at the wrong time and then you go for the brakes and have no front brakes.
norvalwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
70 LS1
CF Senior Member
 
70 LS1's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Gig Harbor Wa
Default

Also, if you used the line lock on the rear, you would still need 3 feet to do a burnout in a manual car.
70 LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
WhichVette?
CF Senior Member
 
WhichVette?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Also, if you used the line lock on the rear, you would still need 3 feet to do a burnout in a manual car.
John Holmes could do it...
WhichVette? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
GrandSportC3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Secular Capitalist Lakeland, FL
Send a message via AIM to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Yahoo to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Skype™ to GrandSportC3
Default

technically, the linelock doesn't apply pressure to the front brakes.. What it does is to lock in pressure.. To activate the linelock you'll have to step on the brake first, then push the linelock button and hold it. Do the burnout and when you are done, release the button and that'll release the front brakes..
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
norvalwilhelm
CF Senior Member
 
norvalwilhelm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: Waterloo ontario Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
technically, the linelock doesn't apply pressure to the front brakes.. What it does is to lock in pressure.. To activate the linelock you'll have to step on the brake first, then push the linelock button and hold it. Do the burnout and when you are done, release the button and that'll release the front brakes..
You will find you can push the line lock and then apply pressure and it will work the same way. Pressure passes one way through the line lock and gets trapped from returning. This is a safety feature to prevent you from locking OUT your brakes.
norvalwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
GrandSportC3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Secular Capitalist Lakeland, FL
Send a message via AIM to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Yahoo to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Skype™ to GrandSportC3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
You will find you can push the line lock and then apply pressure and it will work the same way. Pressure passes one way through the line lock and gets trapped from returning. This is a safety feature to prevent you from locking OUT your brakes.
mine actually seems to lock out the front brakes when I push the button... but mine is a cheap linelock (Biondo)
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
JDRez42
CF Senior Member
 
JDRez42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Ravenna Ohio
Send a message via AIM to JDRez42
Default

For those drag racers i was thinking why couldn't you put in a brake prportioning valve that you turn by hand.. Have it pop out of carpet or whatever near the drive shaft tunnel. Pull up to burn out box turn valve closed then when you hit your brake only your front brakes receive the pressure. Do your burn out and lossen up the valve. 70% of braking is front tires and if you are on the drag strip all the time then proportioning isn't that critical or you can proportion it the way you want and count the number of turns? BAM

what do you think. I've always wondered about that and a lot cheaper than a line lock
JDRez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #15
JDRez42
CF Senior Member
 
JDRez42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Ravenna Ohio
Send a message via AIM to JDRez42
Default

no takers?
JDRez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Gordonm
CF Senior Member
 
Gordonm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Voorhees NJ
Default

That is OK for an automatic but a stick you would be doing some fancy foot work. A line Lock is not that expensive.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
JDRez42
CF Senior Member
 
JDRez42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Ravenna Ohio
Send a message via AIM to JDRez42
Default

true
JDRez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #18
0Corvette Engineering
CF Senior Member
 
Corvette Engineering's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Mounds View Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRez42
For those drag racers i was thinking why couldn't you put in a brake prportioning valve that you turn by hand.. Have it pop out of carpet or whatever near the drive shaft tunnel. Pull up to burn out box turn valve closed then when you hit your brake only your front brakes receive the pressure. Do your burn out and lossen up the valve. 70% of braking is front tires and if you are on the drag strip all the time then proportioning isn't that critical or you can proportion it the way you want and count the number of turns? BAM

what do you think. I've always wondered about that and a lot cheaper than a line lock
Proportioning valves don't shut off completely, They just reduce the pressure at a maximum of 1000psi. So you'd sill have brake drag on the rear tires.

Besides, on a Vette you should have both a line lock and a prop valve...
Corvette Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Gordonm
CF Senior Member
 
Gordonm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Voorhees NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Engineering
Proportioning valves don't shut off completely, They just reduce the pressure at a maximum of 1000psi. So you'd sill have brake drag on the rear tires.

Besides, on a Vette you should have both a line lock and a prop valve...
That is what I thought but was not sure about that. Thanks for the info
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page How does a line lock work?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
auto, bearing, burnout, cars, conversion, drag, hydro, line, linelock, lock, locks, manual, rolling, throwout, work, works


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please) Cscokd C5 Tech 1946 04-16-2014 04:57 PM
How to use Zaino SmokeyTirez Car Care Discussion 17 08-14-2004 02:00 AM
reccomend me a line lock AS84 C4 Tech/Performance 13 03-03-2004 01:56 PM
Best Line Lock for an A4 Is it worth it? 2001 Red Coupe Bandit C5 Tech 11 02-11-2004 10:56 PM
LINE LOCKS ARE COOL!!! 69 N.O.X. RATT C3 Tech/Performance 13 06-27-2003 01:18 PM
What's a line lock do for you? jeffh355 Drag Racing 21 05-24-2002 02:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2