C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger door won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 06:40 PM
The Edge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default passenger door won't unlock

The passenger door will not open. The key will turn as if it is unlocking, as it turns the **** on the side as well, but it's not releasing the door. I lowered the window and the rod from the inside pull is moving the mechanism at the rear of the door as far as I can tell. Help!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll need to remove the doorpanel to be sure, but my guess is that you have some rods hanging loose. Could also be your doorhandle which needs to be replaced: mine turned out to be broken where it connects to the rod.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
cmac72
Instructor

When you unlock it can you open it from the inside and not open it when it is locked? If so, then I agree it is the door handle - perhaps the link connecting the door handle itself came loose. I lost the small retaining clip somewhere in the dark recesses of the bottom of the door and ended out making one out of bailing wire since the shipping on just one little clip would cost more than the clip itself. If it operates from the inside, take the panel off and look at the connection to the door handle.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Default Deja Vu

I had this happen to me today on the drivers door. It was locked and the inside **** wouldn't turn hardly at all, as well as the key lock barely turned. I spent two hours getting it unlocked. Since the door was closed, I could only spring the door panel off of the top edge and could see the lever that was supposed to be moving. After hosing it down with PB Blaster (like WD40, but foamy), and giggling the heck out of it, if finally unlocked. Lesson learned: must lube all window and lock mechs immediately! Good luck with yours
Old 11-20-2005, 09:38 AM
The Edge
Instructor

Cruise-In III Veteran

I can't get it to open period.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
The Edge
Instructor

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for all the replies. I hosed it down with PB Blaster and worked the lock and open mechanisms for a few minutes until things returned to normal operation. All works as good as new now.

Get notified of new replies

To passenger door won't unlock

Quick Reply: passenger door won't unlock