C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone run on Alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone run on Alcohol?

Just wondering if anyone is actually running alcohols on the street?
Has anyone built an engine to run alcohol?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

In the midwest they have a blend that is 85% ethanol. You need 15% regular gasoline to get it started in cold weather.

With the proper jetting changes you could run that mix. You need to jet richer.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

when your car is on fire alcohol burns clear so no one whould know its on fire.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by turtlevette
In the midwest they have a blend that is 85% ethanol. You need 15% regular gasoline to get it started in cold weather.

With the proper jetting changes you could run that mix. You need to jet richer.

That's kinda why I was asking. I was thinking of making my own but you cant blend it very well with gas without doing some extra steps to take any and all water out of the alcohol. So I'd like to run 100% alcohol.

From what I've read, there is a consern of the alcohol getting past the rings and into the oil, ruining it. That's also why I asked if anyone built engines specifically for alcohol.

Obviously, you would need to make sure your entire fuel system is alcohol friendly!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by yellow73sb
when your car is on fire alcohol burns clear so no one whould know its on fire.

I think methanol burns clear as you said, but ethanol burns blue. Just light your favorite 150 proof drink on fire! (Ethanol is the same thing...)
Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldburn
No, man. After enough alcohol I can barely stagger, never mind run. Usually a case of 12 just about does it. Thanks though.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Eric R
Instructor

Yep, running methanol (Alcohol) here and yes, you will get some past the rings so keep your oil changed frequently. You can run a fuel scent like bubble gum, cotton candy or grape, this way you can pull the dipstick and sniff the oil to get an idea before you start it up. The scent will also take the "edge" off the exhaust fumes.

Make sure your fuel system is up to it as all bare aluminum will cause you problems.

I didn't look to see where you were from but you will want to check your state laws. Most states will not allow 100% alky and be sure to pay your road use tax as the fines are high ($1500 here)
I keep a copy of the law and my receipt from the Dept of Revenue for the tax in the car with me when I drive.

Last edited by Eric R; 10-06-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing for sure, you won't have to worry about overheating runing 100% alky.....if anything, you will have your hands full keeping the motor at normal operating temps.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

You will also run a substantionally more amount of fuel.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

E85 is available at the pump at our local Walmart. Last time I looked it was quite a lot cheaper than regular unleaded.

Eric R:
How much squeeze can you run with your setup. 12 or 13 : 1? Helps with that 'Brake Thermal Eff.'.

Last edited by 67L36Driver; 10-07-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Eric R
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Eric R:
How much squeeze can you run with your setup. 12 or 13 : 1? Helps with that 'Brake Thermal Eff.'.
I am running 10:1 at this time and plan to bump it up this winter. I have a friend at 13:1 now without any issues.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric R
Yep, running methanol (Alcohol) here and yes, you will get some past the rings so keep your oil changed frequently. You can run a fuel scent like bubble gum, cotton candy or grape, this way you can pull the dipstick and sniff the oil to get an idea before you start it up. The scent will also take the "edge" off the exhaust fumes.

Make sure your fuel system is up to it as all bare aluminum will cause you problems.

I didn't look to see where you were from but you will want to check your state laws. Most states will not allow 100% alky and be sure to pay your road use tax as the fines are high ($1500 here)
I keep a copy of the law and my receipt from the Dept of Revenue for the tax in the car with me when I drive.
Wow! Thanks!

Ok, I'm in Texas and from what I've found out so far is that I can legally make ethanol (as long it's not edible! hehe = corn squeezins ) with a simple permit. I dunno about road taxes tho, so I'll have to check into that.

FYI - There's no E85 in Texas. There's not alot of biodiesel either, which I thought was odd. I guess cuz fuel has been so cheap until these past few years..

How often are you changing your oil? I've heard you can get 'gapless' rings? They were round instead of flat I think.. Anyone know what I'm refering to?

How are you getting your methanol? What's it costing you?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric R
I am running 10:1 at this time and plan to bump it up this winter. I have a friend at 13:1 now without any issues.
I've hear you can run as much as 15:1, and alcohol likes it!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by munday
You will also run a substantionally more amount of fuel.
It's not substantial - on an untuned car, about 25% more. But even at .25 more, it's still costs less to run on alcohol than gas. Plus you can make it yourself! (my goal)

A tuned car doesn't need the extra fuel since most of the loss in an engine is heat. Alcohol helps control that. Also it burns slower and more consistantly, actually pushing the piston down for a longer duration burn. Gas just more or less 'pops' with a quick unfinished burn.

-So I'm told...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Eric R
Instructor

Wow! Thanks!

How often are you changing your oil? I've heard you can get 'gapless' rings? They were round instead of flat I think.. Anyone know what I'm refering to?

How are you getting your methanol? What's it costing you?

I change my oil about every 3 weeks depending on how much I drive it. I would rather be safe than sorry. I have since installed a ball valve so I can run the carb dry then fill the bowls with gas and run it a while to purge the alky out of the motor if it will sit for a while.

There are a number of rings available on the market, some better than others but I can't say I have seen a motor without any blowby so alky will get in the oil regardless as far as I am concerned. When you figure that the cylinder walls flex and oval to some extent and the fact that you are pumping twice the alky vs. gas, it is going to make its way to the crank case. Also, if the alky doesn't make it down there, you can bet that the condensation will. A good hard run will frost my intake.

Methanol is common around here with all the dirt tracks. My friend races down around Dallas / FW so I know it is around down there also. I pay $1.60 a gallon right now.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Eric R
Instructor

It's not substantial - on an untuned car, about 25% more. But even at .25 more, it's still costs less to run on alcohol than gas. Plus you can make it yourself! (my goal)

A tuned car doesn't need the extra fuel since most of the loss in an engine is heat. Alcohol helps control that. Also it burns slower and more consistantly, actually pushing the piston down for a longer duration burn. Gas just more or less 'pops' with a quick unfinished burn.

-So I'm told...
You will burn near twice as much Methanol as you would gas and Ethanol is close behind. It doesn't matter how well tuned you are as you still need the higher alky to air ratio for combustion. If you skimp on the alky ratio it will only cost you in repairs due to a lean condition.

It's all fun and games till someone burns up a valve or piston. A lean melt down makes for a bad day.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 AM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone built an engine to run alcohol?
I do....but I seem to fall down more!

I couldn't resist!

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone run on Alcohol?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would you want to run on alcohol. True you can get about 10% more horsepower but it is not easy to come by, especially if you take a trip. I eats the inside of some fuel pumps and you need to run it about 10-1 so gas mileage is poor.
As a fuel nothing beats gas is BTU's per gallon.
You can run really high compression ratios and it meets all smog requirements
Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
Why would you want to run on alcohol. True you can get about 10% more horsepower but it is not easy to come by, especially if you take a trip. I eats the inside of some fuel pumps and you need to run it about 10-1 so gas mileage is poor.
As a fuel nothing beats gas is BTU's per gallon.
You can run really high compression ratios and it meets all smog requirements
I'd tune my engine to run E85 if i could get it here. If nothing else than on principle. I'm sick of the USA kissing the butt of the Arab countries.

Its eventually going to be a national security issue for us.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

That's kinda why I was asking. I was thinking of making my own but you cant blend it very well with gas without doing some extra steps to take any and all water out of the alcohol. So I'd like to run 100% alcohol.
You know when you add iso heat to your car in the winter, it is nothing more then isopropyl alchol (a 3 carbon alcohol). It mixes with the water so it can be burned. FYI- methanol is a 1 carbon alcohol, and ethanol is a 2 carbon alcohol.

trw

Quick Reply: Does anyone run on Alcohol?