C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing body

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
allautomotive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing body

i am restoring/rebuilding a 73 coupe.i am taking the body off and plan on repairing its issues after completing the chassis.i need the body off so i can transfer all the chassis parts to my new frame.i already have the nose off and the back is physically loose and ready to come off.the lower bidcage is completly rotten/missing.otherwise the body is fine.i was going to build a jig duplicating the body mounting points to lay the rear body on but if i do that i cant work on the part i need to rebuild (lower birdcage)because it will sit on that non-existant section.i know most of you guys wouldnt get involved in a project like this but these are the cards i was dealt.im asking if anyone knows if the body will crack if i rest it on the floor or if you have any suggestions on what to do otherwise.im going to build on to the existing bircage and perform the repairs without seperating it from the body unlike others have chosen to do.right now i just want to get the body off and get it out of the way so i can focus on the chassis for now.any help is much appreciated as i am at a standstill.
thanks
chris
Old 09-27-2005, 10:13 PM
allautomotive
Instructor

here are pics of where im at.you can see the condition of the body mounts.pics are from the last time i worked on it.got alot further today but at a standstill.thanks.
Attached Images     
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 PM
JonnHeather
Racer

You can set it on the floor no problem. I even rolled mine over and let it sit on the roof when I sprayed the bottom of the car. They are durable...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 PM
allautomotive
Instructor

how long did it take you to re-do the birdcage?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I built some bucks out of 2x4's and a couple of horses to set mine on. body-off my 73
Old 09-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the body off of a few C3's and have set them all on their floor and it works out fine. I have some chains that I bolt to the seat belt anchors and to the body mounts down by the driver and passenger foot well that X and are long enough to stick up out of the top of the car that allow me to pick a body up with my cherry picker or overhead hoist so that I can work on the bottom. You can tip them over too (although I do that pretty carefully) and set them on their top or side to allow easy access to the bottom.

-Justin
Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnHeather
You can set it on the floor no problem. I even rolled mine over and let it sit on the roof when I sprayed the bottom of the car. They are durable...
Are you telling me that my dad and I baught an adjustable sub-frame and rotisserie for nothing??
Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Calm Screamer2
Racer

Originally Posted by SuprJames
Are you telling me that my dad and I baught an adjustable sub-frame and rotisserie for nothing??
aaahh...noooooo...I'll give ya 5 bucks for it
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 PM
allautomotive
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuprJames
when i was looking at those kits i thought wtf will this do for me?believe me if i thought it would help i would have already bought it.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:00 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure allautomotive, go ahead and set it down, roll it over, have it play dead. These cars are tough, you just have to watch the rocker monting tabs on the front and rear of the cab section or you will break them off and have to reglass them bacl on later. You can fit a 4x6 inside the channel to hold the glass up off the floor as well.
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by allautomotive
when i was looking at those kits i thought wtf will this do for me?believe me if i thought it would help i would have already bought it.
Actually, we baught it for my dad's '37 Chevy Coupe so not a total waste. I don't need it for the birdcage, I was just going to set it on there for some of the bodywork and peeling off all the undercoating underneath. I'm also keeping the front on the car and I'm pretty sure you can't just roll it over with the front on it.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
collectskulls
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETTEVIC
Sure allautomotive, go ahead and set it down, roll it over, have it play dead. These cars are tough, you just have to watch the rocker monting tabs on the front and rear of the cab section or you will break them off and have to reglass them bacl on later. You can fit a 4x6 inside the channel to hold the glass up off the floor as well.
What product did you use to paint the underside of your car if I may ask?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:25 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

por15 grey. New floor pans, and fabbed cage parts

vic
Old 09-28-2005, 06:35 PM
collectskulls
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

tks
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a pic. of the frame i made to set my body on. I had to repair the rear birdcage #3 mount. and with the removeable legs on the body rack it work out fine.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

I've got a 68 vert that needs some bird cage repair too. Problem is, I really haven't the slightest idea how to go about it! The parts that need fix'in are the door pillar behind the driver, and both rocker channels.

The door piller took a hit from an accident and is bowed about 2 inches towards the center of the car. The bottom of it has completely rusted out.

I also have some frame rot in front of both rear wheels. I was told Zip has these sections. Has anyone used them before? The rest of the frame is in great shape.

I recently removed both trailing arms and plan to drop them off at Van Steel. The frame is almost completely stripped now, just have the motor and front suspension left.

Are there any good books on how to repair the bird cage. I'm figuring I'll have to remove some fiberglass, but not sure where I should cut. The harder part will be putting it back on - No idea how. I already have the body off the frame, and I plan to remove the nose section from the rest of the body too.

There's a corvette junk yard ( Sunshine ) not too far from where I live. I'm going to take a ride over and see if they have replacement parts for what's needed.

The car's a real basket case, but I love it!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 PM
allautomotive
Instructor

Originally Posted by cannonfl
I've got a 68 vert that needs some bird cage repair too. Problem is, I really haven't the slightest idea how to go about it! The parts that need fix'in are the door pillar behind the driver, and both rocker channels.

The door piller took a hit from an accident and is bowed about 2 inches towards the center of the car. The bottom of it has completely rusted out.

I also have some frame rot in front of both rear wheels. I was told Zip has these sections. Has anyone used them before? The rest of the frame is in great shape.

I recently removed both trailing arms and plan to drop them off at Van Steel. The frame is almost completely stripped now, just have the motor and front suspension left.

Are there any good books on how to repair the bird cage. I'm figuring I'll have to remove some fiberglass, but not sure where I should cut. The harder part will be putting it back on - No idea how. I already have the body off the frame, and I plan to remove the nose section from the rest of the body too.

There's a corvette junk yard ( Sunshine ) not too far from where I live. I'm going to take a ride over and see if they have replacement parts for what's needed.

The car's a real basket case, but I love it!
all the books i bought were crap.this website will give you more infomation than any of them,just post your questions toreassure yourself.i found a couple of places that sell all these parts.as far as the frame i could also have replaced a section but it was less hassle to get another frame and start from scratch.replacing sections will cost more money than sourcing one out,even if it needs minor work.

Get notified of new replies

To removing body

Old 09-29-2005, 07:18 AM
cannonfl
Instructor

You're right about this website. Someone should take the best post and compile them into a book.

I've got a friend who welds, so I'm going to go that route first.

I visited Vette Products, and they have all the frame sections I need. I didn't see any bird cage parts listed on there site, but maybe I was looking in the wrong section. Could you post the websites you've found that carry bird cage parts?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:36 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Also try Yogi Bairs ( www.bairs.com ) for bird cage sections and other stuff. As with every thing else, some places are cheaper on some things and more expensive on others. Gather good list of parts you need and find each part in more than one place. Chances are you will have a couple of things from each supplier cheaper than the others then make smaller orders to each one. Keep in mind that some charge shipping based on price, others on weight, and some discount it for more money spent.

Vic
Old 09-30-2005, 01:01 AM
henny496
Instructor

Default Body jig

Hello
I made something that may be of help to you. I call it an Octo Jig and you can roll the car upside down, so the top of the car take s the weight. It is easy to make
I don't know how to post a pic, but if you look at my sig, it should show a photo bucket site. On it you will see a picture of it
If you cannot get to it e-mail me and will send you pics if you are interested
Take care
Tom

Quick Reply: removing body