C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Patience
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rust in gas tank

I've got an interesting scenario where the bottom of my gas tank has a bunch of free-floating rust particles, but all the surfaces of the tank are clean and rust-free. (I've looked at all the walls with an inspection mirror inserted through the gas cap hole.) I'm wondering if it was left empty for awhile, developed some rust, and then was kept full of gas the rest of the time. (The walls really are super clean.) Should I just siphon this stuff out? I'm clogging my fuel filter fairly often.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:33 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be in your lines as well...get it out of your tank..the rest will filter out...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:24 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, make sure the filter on the end of the pick-up is not torn or clogged.
f
Old 09-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your gas tank itself is rust free on the inside chances are the rust is coming from the filler assembly, I have seen some really rusty ones, probably from using an acidic RTV when reinstalling, this will make the flange and the filler rust and flakes will come off and drop in your tank
Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a rust problem with my C2 recently. Only the larger rust particles will be trapped by even the best filter. I had double filters.... one in-line and the standard Holley sintered bronze... and the fine rust sediment got past both filters and settled in the fuel bowls. When it sloshed on hard acceleration, the sediment plugged up the jets and the car ran rough & stalled. I had to rebuild the carb as a result. So don't rely on filters to catch the rust. Identify the source & eliminate it. In my case, it was the tank itself.... so I bought a new tank.

Also... the pickup tube gets rusty from sitting in a pool of water at the bottom of the tank. It can generate rust sediment.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:49 PM
73'454folendore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may just need to replace the sending unit in the gas tank. That took care of my problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust in gas tank

Quick Reply: Rust in gas tank