C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't hit passing gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 AM
nickc377
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't hit passing gear

I have a '73 auto and I am having trouble when flooring it. It doesn't run the best and won't hit pasing gear. The rest of the rang is running pretty smoothly, has a little trouble idling sometimes. The timing is right on, new plugs and wires. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Nick
Old 09-15-2005, 10:30 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TH400 transmissions have an electric passing gear kick-down. The switch is activated by the gas pedal. The wiring goes to a connector on the drivers side of the transmission. Make sure it is plugged in. Make sure the fuse is good. Sometimes the gas pedal lever bends, and it won't activate the switch. G/L
Old 09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW That switch also opens the cowl induction
Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
71stockray
Instructor

Default 71 also

I sometimes have this same problem on my 71 and I do not have a electric kickdown switch. What is causing my TH 400 to do this?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
... Sometimes the gas pedal lever bends, and it won't activate the switch.
I had to put electric tape on the switch to make sure it was depressed completely....a common problem if you ask me.

Here's how to check:
Disconnet the cowl switch (under the hood). With key in ignition, car not running, press the gas pedel all the way down. You should hear a very low click in the tranny (hard to hear if area is noisy). If the click is not there, the kick-down is not working. Either bend the pedal till it does, or compansate by putting tape on the switch....

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2005, 01:26 PM
71stockray
Instructor

It has become clear that at some time my TH 400 kickdown assy has been removed from my 71. Any suggestions on a replacement system? I belive it was removed with the idle control soilnoid system years ago.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 71stockray
I sometimes have this same problem on my 71 and I do not have a electric kickdown switch. What is causing my TH 400 to do this?
If you have a THM 400, you should have the electric kick down switch. That's the only way you can engage "passing gear" when you floor it. Chuck
Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
71stockray
Instructor

What I am sayin is that there is a connection on the TH, but there is no switch on, or connected to the gas pedal or the accel cable linkage. Upon flooring the car it will ramp up in RPM and wind out unless I wait a second or let off the pedal than it will upshift.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Calm Screamer2
Racer

What I am sayin is that there is a connection on the TH, but there is no switch on, or connected to the gas pedal or the accel cable linkage. Upon flooring the car it will ramp up in RPM and wind out unless I wait a second or let off the pedal than it will upshift.
I have the exact problem with the '82...I just assumed it was because I was too lazy to adjust the TV cable after the rebuild...I very rarely "punch it" at high speed, so I don't see any adverse effects.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has become clear that at some time my TH 400 kickdown assy has been removed from my 71. Any suggestions on a replacement system? I belive it was removed with the idle control soilnoid system years ago.
Believe member Matt Gruber hooked a switch to his carb somehow, think the switch he used was off a VCR

Here is his homepage, look under th400, no pics so you might have to e-mail him.

http://community-2.webtv.net/MATTGRU/

Last edited by Fevre; 09-15-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by desi
I had to put electric tape on the switch to make sure it was depressed completely....a common problem if you ask me.

Here's how to check:
Disconnet the cowl switch (under the hood). With key in ignition, car not running, press the gas pedel all the way down. You should hear a very low click in the tranny (hard to hear if area is noisy). If the click is not there, the kick-down is not working. Either bend the pedal till it does, or compansate by putting tape on the switch....

Good Luck
I agree with the post above. If you do not hear a click by pressing on the gas pedal with the key on but engine not running, then you might want to reach up to the switch and pull the lever of the switch back towards the rear of the car manually. If you hear a click, then you should be in good shape and at least you know things are working, and that the trouble lie in the engagement of the switch. By the way when you do this the cowl vent in the hood should also open. I had success in bending the pedal slightly and removing the switch and placing a piece of rubber hose over the rod piece of the switch.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

i am having the same problem the guys that built my motor put in a 3000 stall tc and said that i did not need a kick down switch. this thing does nothing when i punch it but just high rev.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't hit passing gear

Quick Reply: Can't hit passing gear