C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idler c-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 AM
Randy2red
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Idler c-3

Hi, I have an 80 l-82 auto stock with origional carb.When I first start it up i have to let it idle a while before putting into gear or it will stall. After warm up & choke is disengauged she still idels @ 1500 rpm & idle screw is backed out all the way. I hate to retard timing just to get idle down. Anyone have any ideas. I have not played with the carb air adjusters as yet.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:31 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

There is also a screw on the fast idle cam. Make sure that screw is not resting on the cam with the choke off. You'll also want to check your throttle cable adjustment. It could be holding off the throttle. Remove the cable from the carb and see if the throttle completely closes.

If those appear fine, you'll need to start looking for a vacuum leak, which is probably where your problem is. The reason I write that is that a vacuum leak will cause the engine to faulter when it's cold since it will be running too lean to sustain a cold idle. That and the high hot idle. But, again, check the first items.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Calm Screamer2
Racer

Yeah...A vacuum leak is the most likely culprit. For a 20 year old car, replace all the vacuum hoses and check associated valves...why not, it's cheap and it eliminates any suspicions.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Randy2red
Intermediate

Thank you I will check it out & post reply
Old 09-19-2005, 07:52 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy2red
...I hate to retard timing just to get idle down. Anyone have any ideas. I have not played with the carb air adjusters as yet.
I agree with with not retarding timing to get the idle down. BUT.....I had a much too fast idle on my 82 (I know, different beast), both closed and open loop. Lower when warmed up but still too high. It was supposidly timed properly. I checked for vacuum leaks, etc. (Do that for sure!), and couldn't find any. Then I checked the timing. Supposed to be 6BTDC and was at almost 12. No wonder it pinged a bit on premium when it should be able to use regular! Anyway - reset to 6BTDC and it's a whole new vehicle. idle at spec cold or hot, and much more docile when slipping into drive or reverse (auto). Much nicer cruiser now - since that is what this one was designed to be. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

if thats a computer controlled carb, there are also two electrical connections. and the one closest to the passenger side will cause a high idle if it is loose or if the little snap thingy cracks and lets it back out a little

Get notified of new replies

To High Idler c-3

Quick Reply: High Idler c-3