C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for T5 Experts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question for T5 Experts.

I am trying to figure out what overdrive gear ratio I have in this World Class ford T5 tranny. The tag on the tranny has the following information: FOZR-7003-AA REP-AV, 2nd line: 13-52-199 69515 H2802. Can anyone tell me the overdrive gear ratio for this tranny? Thanks in advance for your help!
Bernie
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
I am trying to figure out what overdrive gear ratio I have in this World Class ford T5 tranny. The tag on the tranny has the following information: FOZR-7003-AA REP-AV, 2nd line: 13-52-199 69515 H2802. Can anyone tell me the overdrive gear ratio for this tranny? Thanks in advance for your help!
Bernie
I don't have my tag identification at home but guessing it is .68 Unless it is a 6 cylinder transmission and you can check this by miking the pilot bearing diameter. The 6 cylinder were smaller then the 8 cylinder.
Again I am just guessing but the eight is .668 or something like that. This is off the top of my head and not sure about that diameter without looking it up.
Carguy4sure could tell you.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your trany is from a 90/91 5L stang. It is a later world class unit with a 300 torque rating. A great T5 choice and harder to find these days since the stang croud likes this model also.

The ratios are: (1)3.35 (2)1.99 (3)1.33 (4)1.00 (5)0.68

As Norval mentions, the input shaft is .668 with a length of 7.18. The six cyl units were .59..

Last edited by Retro78; 09-04-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Carguy4sure and Norval,
Thanks for the information. I have another T5 without a tag on it and was wondering which one to use. The guy I got it from thought one was .68 and the other was a .78. I will check the housing to see if I can find something to tell me what the other one might be.
Bernie
Old 09-04-2005, 08:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Bernie I can verbally help you with the adaptor plate. Carguy4sure/Doug and I will be making 2 near the end of the month. Even sooner if Doug wants and we can locate a special piece of 5/8th aluminum.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:04 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Norval & Carguy4sure,
I appreciate all the help you are giving me with this project! Even though I'm not ready for the adapter, I can work on it and have it ready for when the tranny is complete. You said 5/8s piece of aluminum; I thought it was supposed to be 1/2 inch thick? Also, what strength aluminum do I need to get. I can get our shop to get me a piece; what diameter do I need? We probably have a piece of T1 steel already if that will work. I will start looking for a bellhousing Tuesday. I know a couple guys that probably have one already, but I would rather find one with the slave already on it if I can. I can't believe I am close to getting this project off the ground!
Bernie
Old 09-04-2005, 10:00 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Norval & Carguy4sure,
I appreciate all the help you are giving me with this project! Even though I'm not ready for the adapter, I can work on it and have it ready for when the tranny is complete. You said 5/8s piece of aluminum; I thought it was supposed to be 1/2 inch thick? Also, what strength aluminum do I need to get. I can get our shop to get me a piece; what diameter do I need? We probably have a piece of T1 steel already if that will work. I will start looking for a bellhousing Tuesday. I know a couple guys that probably have one already, but I would rather find one with the slave already on it if I can. I can't believe I am close to getting this project off the ground!
Bernie
You need a 1/2 inch piece. Doug and I are doing something different. It must be aluminum. As for the dimensions I will not know until tomorrow when Doug brings an old adaptor over so we can measure it.
Other then drilling holes and makeing the outside look good you need to bore a large hole that fits the bearing retainer on the front of the transmission. I will take pictures of it tomorrow. I made a few of them, actually 3 years ago and doug has one of them.
Again 1/2 inch, any aluminum T6 or 2024 are fine. The peice is roughly 1 foot square.
Bernie I will know more soon and maybe Doug will post on it as we go.
I will take a picture tomorrow and put a ruler in it for scale.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Retro78
Drifting

Carguy4sure and Norval,
Thanks for the information. I have another T5 without a tag on it and was wondering which one to use. The guy I got it from thought one was .68 and the other was a .78. I will check the housing to see if I can find something to tell me what the other one might be.
Bernie
Bernie, without the tag it is hard to know exactly what you have, however you can do a few things to try and narrow it down.

(1)Measure the diameter and length of the input shaft.
(2)Does the front bearing cover have engraving on it...small printing. I am talking about the round cover just below the front input shaft.
(3)How many splines on the input shaft.
(4)Look for a star type symbol with a 2 digit number in the middle on the casting. It might be on the top cover. It will be fairly small.

Send me what you find and I might be able to narrow this down for you.

Last edited by Retro78; 09-05-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Good morning!
Sitting here drinking some coffee trying to catch up on what is happening on the forum. I will check the other tranny this morning and look for writing on it. This tranny has all new stuff in it except for the counter shaft. I hope it has a .68 O.D. gear since it will be the easiest to rebuild. The one with the tag needs all new internals to get it up and going again. The guy I got them from works in our shop and used to race Stangs and he said they were both world class T5's. He let me have them both for $50.00 since he doesn't race anymore and needs the garage space for his wife's car. We know about that don't we? I'm looking forward to getting the tranny adapter made and bolted to a bellhousing. I still need to find a pedal assy. since mine is an auto, but I don't think that will be hard to do. Again, thanks for your help as I do this project.
Bernie
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Carguy4sure,
I just checked the other tranny. The top cover has Basic 3, Borg Warner Automotive on it and a star pattern with the number 90 in the center; or 06, which ever way you are looking at it. The left side of the housing has Basic 2A and 13-53-065-908 on it. The tail shaft has 13-52-066-919 on it. The right side of the housing has these numbers stamped on the front of it vertically MF141412. The input shaft from the cover to the tip is 2 5/8 inches long and has 10 splines. I don't have an outside mike at home so I couldn't get the diameter. I hope this info helps.
Bernie
Old 09-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Retro78
Drifting

Carguy4sure,
I just checked the other tranny. The top cover has Basic 3, Borg Warner Automotive on it and a star pattern with the number 90 in the center; or 06, which ever way you are looking at it. The left side of the housing has Basic 2A and 13-53-065-908 on it. The tail shaft has 13-52-066-919 on it. The right side of the housing has these numbers stamped on the front of it vertically MF141412. The input shaft from the cover to the tip is 2 5/8 inches long and has 10 splines. I don't have an outside mike at home so I couldn't get the diameter. I hope this info helps.
Bernie
Glad you found the star, it has the date code. Looking good that you may have another similar to the tagged one. Please re-measure the input shaft from the face of the trans(just outside the retainer.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:42 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Carguy4sure,
From the tip of the inputshaft to the face of the tranny measured
7 1/8 inches. I used a strait edge on the input shaft and measured strait from the strait edge to the face of the tranny, again, it is a 10 spline shaft. Thanks
Bernie
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Bernie, your trans without the tag is either a 1989 or 1990 model year Ford world class T5 from a 5L V8. The date code could be for either model year. The year is significant since the 89 had a torque rating of 265 and the 1990 had 300. Chances are you have the 1990 model but I could not be 100% sure and do not know how to recognize the internal differences. Either way, IMO this is a good T5 version to use for your swap.

Last edited by Retro78; 09-05-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Sounds like I can use either transmission without any problems. I will be looking forward to hearing from you and Norval as you fab your adapter and work thru your transmission swap.
Bernie
Old 09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Sounds like I can use either transmission without any problems. I will be looking forward to hearing from you and Norval as you fab your adapter and work thru your transmission swap.
Bernie
Bernie Doug and I are going to start very soon. I also have old adapter right here. Do you want a picture? Doug was planing on posting when we make his plate.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
Bernie I can verbally help you with the adaptor plate. Carguy4sure/Doug and I will be making 2 near the end of the month. Even sooner if Doug wants and we can locate a special piece of 5/8th aluminum.
DO you think it would be possible for you to sell me one too? I would love to put a Mustang tranny in one of mine too.
Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-05-2005, 06:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sharky Guam
DO you think it would be possible for you to sell me one too? I would love to put a Mustang tranny in one of mine too.
Thanks,
Ed
Guys I don't want to start making these things. While they are really easy to make they need custom fitting. 2 of the holes are drilled after the unit is indexed off the flywheel for under .005 runout. Also I add about 3 dowels again after indexing.
Doug and I will do this since I control the installation.
The other problem is How much would I charge??? I shoe horses are night and it pays $100 per hour and no hassels. How can machining parts match this??
I work only for the fun of it, Doug and I are going to have fun, it is not about money.
Doing adapters for others is a business and will come back at me some time with problems of poor installation.
Doug did say he would somehow scan it to create a perfect pattern with all acurate dimensions.
When this one for Doug is done I will take it to a CNC company that my son's friend owns and get a rough price on copies but that is all I will do other then verbal help.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for T5 Experts.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Norval,
A scanned copy would be great to have. Our machine shop is more than capable of achieving the demensions you will provide us. The scanned copy will put us way ahead on making the adapter. I understand you do not want to make a business out of it. The fun goes away when you do, and I don't want it to stop being fun for you. The help you and carguyforsure is really appreciated as it makes the hardest part easier for me. Again, thanks for everything and looking forward to seeing the posts on yours and Doug's efforts.
Bernie
Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Bernie we will do posts on this as it progresses. Doug is looking at putting the tranny in late September but I want to make the adaptor starting now.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Norval & Doug,
I will try to find a bellhousing this week and order a piece of aluminum so I can make the adapter as you guys do. Then I will build the tranny and collect the pedals, master cyl, slave cyl, resevoir, flywheel, clutch parts and the yoke for the rear of the tranny. What did you use to mate the driveshaft to the tranny?
I helped a friend with some work on his Z3 today and I haven't had much time to be on the computor or work on my stuff.
Bernie

Quick Reply: Question for T5 Experts.