C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[CA'80,'81,'82] Need help w/ O2 sensor & headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [CA'80,'81,'82] Need help w/ O2 sensor & headers

Put headers on my '81's Summit crate motor. Significant improvement over the too-small stock tubular exhaust manifolds. Problem is with the oxygen sensor that the computer uses to control the carb.

I'm using a header collector that has the O2 sensor bung welded into it. That places the sensor way farther downstream than it was in the stock manifolds. So now I'm getting a "check engine" light whenever the car idles for more than about a minute. The trouble code is 44, "lean O2 sensor condition", which basically means the sensor is not functioning.

The problem goes away and the system resumes normal function as soon as the engine rpm is increased for about 30 seconds. I'm convinced that the core problem is that the sensor does not stay hot enough to function in this location at idle. The shop manual says it has to be 600*F to work.

Have any of you had this problem? What did you do about it? I'm thinking a heated O2 sensor might be the way to go. If I'm looking for one of those, what do I ask for? Do I have to splice it into the stock sensor's wiring, or does it come with the 2-wire connector plus another one for the heater, or what?

All ideas welcome!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:39 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make absolutely sure that you have no exhaust leaks anywhere. O2 sensor systems are very sensitive to air leaks in the exhaust. A heated sensor is ok if you have no exhaust leaks.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

you can get a heated 02 sensor . they have these at most auto stores .this was talked about two weeks ago ,try a search it will tell you the best places to connect the hot wire . twin turbo helped on that one .

Get notified of new replies

To [CA'80,'81,'82] Need help w/ O2 sensor & headers

Quick Reply: [CA'80,'81,'82] Need help w/ O2 sensor & headers