C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flaring rear ta bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:02 AM
art-corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flaring rear ta bushing

not sure if this is acceptable or not.... i flared my rear t-arm bushing but on one side that outer retainer was not "catched" when flaring the sleeve...i squeezed both bushing together as much as possible ( on the inside of t-arm the both rubbers are pushed against eachother and within that inner and outer shell on each side, rubber was squeezed. to my idea it is not possible to squeeze them more .

on the other trailing are the flare did just catch the retainer enough to keep it stick.

my question is , although the bushing itself is flared can i live without the retainer being flared within and just include the retainer when assembling T-arm on frame ?

tia

art-corvette
Old 08-27-2005, 09:20 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I really can't speak to the safety aspect of leaving it as is, but one thing you should consider is the noise that will be made by that retainer not being snug. It'll rattle every time you hit any bump. That alone would make me start over and try to get it seated properly.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
art-corvette
Intermediate

the noise i am not concerned about, when using poly bushings the retainer isn't snug either and beside that the retainer can't move at all cause it sits tight between the shims and bushing.

just wondering if that retainer being ""catched" within the flared part has any functionality/ safety reasons.

art-corvette
Old 08-27-2005, 12:46 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

It needs to be flared much more and the bushing has to be compressed. Here's how I did mine:

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/zwed...ailingarm2.htm

And here's a pic how it ended up after flaring:

Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Zwede said. You need to compress the rubber and flare it more. I have a special tool for this but it is beyond most people. I wonder if there is a corvette shop in your area that would do it for you??? Don't use it like it is.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:37 PM
art-corvette
Intermediate

ok guys.. i am convinced i better redo it......although i have compresed it as hard as i could....made a kind of flaring tool and also tried a bench-vice......maybe it is now a good reason to change to the poly bushings, i already have a set but it was without the shells so i got a rubber set afterall.

thankz

art-corvette

Last edited by art-corvette; 08-27-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To flaring rear ta bushing

Quick Reply: flaring rear ta bushing