C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC cam timing and distributer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TDC cam timing and distributer

OK all this talk about this stuff on the forum got some of us talking and, yep, led to cornfusion

...so, here is the $64K question...you put in a new cam...line up the dots at 12 and 6 on the timing gear, put the rest of the stuff back on the engine (timing cover, waterpump etc) and go to put the distributer back in...the question is, at this point do you drop the dist in with it pointing to the number 1 or do you turn the crank to ensure you are at TDC on the compression stroke on #1 and then drop the dist in with it pointing to the #1 spark plug wire

We had several smart people talking about this but the more we talked the more fuse'in it got...
Old 08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the dots are at 6 on cam and 12 on crank (togeather), install distributor with rotor pointing to #6
Old 08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

But I one of my buddies (who is a member of this forum BTW) tell me that when he put his engine together he put the dots at 12 and 6 and dropped the dist in pointed to #1 and fired it right up.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

It's the same thing....just an extra step to rotate the crank....
Old 08-26-2005, 04:26 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it's the brand of timing chain. I put in a Clyotes(sp) and the engine builder said that 12 & 6 was # 6 (as big g said), 12 & 12 was # 1. Either way you should be pointing at the terminal on the cap...
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always prime my engines using that tool which sticks down into the distributor hole. Thus, the engine is never at the same point as it was when I installed the timing chain. Check the thread on this page on finding the TDC, and when you drop the distributor in you don't want it pointing to #1 because the distributor will turn in a clockwise direction due to the worm gear of the distributor sliding into the distributor drive gear on the cam...thus, you really want to point it to #2 when you start to drop it in...then it will spin over to #1 when it reaches the bottom.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I have never seen any timing set that was not at #6 TDC Firing Position with the crank dot at 12:00 and the cam dot at 6:00.

Rotate the engine 360 degrees from that point and you are now at #1 TDC Firing position where the cam dot and the crank dot are now both at 12:00.

BUT... I will confess that I did get that wrong once (the first time). That is how we learn these things... the hard way.

-Mark.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll
I always prime my engines using that tool which sticks down into the distributor hole. Thus, the engine is never at the same point as it was when I installed the timing chain. Check the thread on this page on finding the TDC, and when you drop the distributor in you don't want it pointing to #1 because the distributor will turn in a clockwise direction due to the worm gear of the distributor sliding into the distributor drive gear on the cam...thus, you really want to point it to #2 when you start to drop it in...then it will spin over to #1 when it reaches the bottom.
really? Ithought engine primers (shafts) only spun the oil pump and not the cam. Thats what mine did anyway, so TDC would have never moved...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

For a fact...mine was at 12 on the crank and 6 on the cam sprocket (double roller) and I pointed the cap to #1. Fired immediately with no adjustments. More confused now??? ???
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
For a fact...mine was at 12 on the crank and 6 on the cam sprocket (double roller) and I pointed the cap to #1. Fired immediately with no adjustments. More confused now??? ???
You must have one of those "Southern Hemisphere " engines....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by big_G
You must have one of those "Southern Hemisphere " engines....
maybe...but it didn't when it started and has run great since
And watch it! I resemble that remark!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

maybe...but it didn't when it started and has run great since
And watch it! I resemble that remark!
Dude...the Puke is awesome...but I just looked in another engine manual and it says the same thing everyone here AND the crane cam instruction manual says...we must have rotated your...er, you must have rotated yours...I dont see any other way.

just think how much better it will run once you rotate that bad boy!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettepilot68
Dude...the Puke is awesome...but I just looked in another engine manual and it says the same thing everyone here AND the crane cam instruction manual says...we must have rotated your...er, you must have rotated yours...I dont see any other way.

just think how much better it will run once you rotate that bad boy!
Hmm? Nope, no rotation here after intitial setup...until the motor started anyway! Does it appear to you that it's 180 out after riding in it?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:52 PM
vettepilot68
Pro

Spoiler

Old 08-27-2005, 01:19 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE
I always prime my engines using that tool which sticks down into the distributor hole. Thus, the engine is never at the same point as it was when I installed the timing chain. Check the thread on this page on finding the TDC, and when you drop the distributor in you don't want it pointing to #1 because the distributor will turn in a clockwise direction due to the worm gear of the distributor sliding into the distributor drive gear on the cam...thus, you really want to point it to #2 when you start to drop it in...then it will spin over to #1 when it reaches the bottom. QUOTE]

Every primer I ever saw, store bought or homemade made from an old distributor, only spins the oil pump.

Unless I see proof of one being capable of spinning the cam and crank (they are connected with a chain) I would say the above statement is misinformation.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glen242
[QUOTE
I always prime my engines using that tool which sticks down into the distributor hole. Thus, the engine is never at the same point as it was when I installed the timing chain. Check the thread on this page on finding the TDC, and when you drop the distributor in you don't want it pointing to #1 because the distributor will turn in a clockwise direction due to the worm gear of the distributor sliding into the distributor drive gear on the cam...thus, you really want to point it to #2 when you start to drop it in...then it will spin over to #1 when it reaches the bottom. QUOTE]

Every primer I ever saw, store bought or homemade made from an old distributor, only spins the oil pump.

Unless I see proof of one being capable of spinning the cam and crank (they are connected with a chain) I would say the above statement is misinformation.
kinda what I was thinking...
Old 08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

kinda what I was thinking...
That said, I always have nightmares about finding TDC. I try to make sure there is NO WAY the motor will turn any time I have the dist out or the timing gears off. I remove battery, mark and take pictures of all moving parts, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To TDC cam timing and distributer

Old 08-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Star79
That said, I always have nightmares about finding TDC. I try to make sure there is NO WAY the motor will turn any time I have the dist out or the timing gears off. I remove battery, mark and take pictures of all moving parts, etc.
yep
Old 08-27-2005, 05:07 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

A word of caution - you have to separate the wheat from the chaff when taking advice from forum members. If you have been here a while and followed posts on various subjects, you will learn who knows what they are talking about, and who doesn't have a clue.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glen242
A word of caution - you have to separate the wheat from the chaff when taking advice from forum members. If you have been here a while and followed posts on various subjects, you will learn who knows what they are talking about, and who doesn't have a clue.
can you show me a picture of this engine oil priming tool that turns the components of the motor at the same time? The one "you" use? Very interested...will leave your directed comments in the air for now

Quick Reply: TDC cam timing and distributer