C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427/435 Tripower secondaries operation

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
427VET
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 427/435 Tripower secondaries operation

Hi folks, I have a 69 435/427 that I was playing with yesterday trying to see if the secondary carbs were working. I put some vacuum to the "T" for the outboards with the throttle linkage actuated wide open(engine off) for the mech. linkage slot. It wouldn't open the secondary throttle blades. So I pulled off the vacuum pods and checked them and they open with vacuum applied. But when I bolt them back to the carbs and apply vacuum to the carb fitting it doesn't work and I can hear a vacuum leak inside the carbs. Isn't it supposed pull open the secondarys just by applying vacuum to the fitting or is there an additional vacuum tap inside the outer carbs that supplements the signal from the center carb? The seal was good between the vacuum pod and the carb body.

Last edited by 427VET; 08-15-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
427VET
Intermediate

test
Old 08-15-2005, 01:19 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you have suspected, there is an internal vacuum bleed between the vacuum pod and the carb so using someting like a Mite-Vac hand pump will not work. Snapping the throttle open while in neutral will not work either since there must be some load on the engine before the secondaries will open. The easiest was I know of to see if the secondaries are opening is to put a paper clip on the rod between the butterfiles and the vacuum pod right under the vacuum pod then drive the car making sure that you drive it in a way that the secondaries should open ("drive it like you stole it"). If the secondaries are working the paper clip will be lower on the rod then before you went for a drive.

Regards,

Jay
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The Holley 2300 carbs have a internal air bleed that will probably not allow you to use a Mity-vac stlye pump to open them. These bleeds are plugged by knowledgeable Mopar Six Pack Drag racers (and I'm sure the Chevy guy's do it too.) I'm sure you know the carbs are locked closed with a mechanical linkage too that unless you open the primary carb to WOT will prevent them from opening. I went through H*LL with my old 440 Six Pack to get it into the 11 second zone before Mopar Super Stock racer Paul Rossi showed me the secret of making a Six Pack run by plugging the air bleeds during a NHRA meet at Fremont Drag Strip many years ago. You may also want to look into the new "jet plate" for the outboard carbs that allows you to put std Holley jets into the outboard carbs instead of the miserable jet plates and those PITA gaskets. The "Jet Plate" has been released in the last year or so, it would have made my life WAY EASIER in the good (?) old days.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 AM
427VET
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks very much for the info. Solid LT-1, can you tell me where the air bleeds are located and how you plugged them? It doesn't make sense to me why they would put an additional tap inside the carb- inside the venturi won't see a signal until the throttle blades crack, which won't happen without a signal to the pods. And if the tap is under the throttle blades the vacuum pods would open at idle. Must be a little more complicated like a simple mechanical vacuum switch to accomodate both taps and open the carbs. Appreciate any info on it. My 65 GTO runs in the 11's N/A with 3 rochester carbs but I have aftermarket mechanical linkage on those. It also has a 250 shot plumbed for those times when you need a little more...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:18 AM
427VET
Intermediate

Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some info that I came across a while ago that may be useful.

Regards,

Jay
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 AM
427VET
Intermediate

Thanks Jay, that is some great info. Appreciate it. -Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 427/435 Tripower secondaries operation

Quick Reply: 427/435 Tripower secondaries operation