C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Strange clutch noise

I've just put my engine back in and I'm getting a strange noise as I release the clutch and it engages. Once engaged everything sounds and works fine. The flywheel is new, clutch is old, throwout bearing old, pilot bushing new.

Probably related, but my Lakewood scattershield has that little clutch fork pivot ball that screws in from the back. I think when I re-installed it I screwed it in a little further, toward block. When trying to first pull it out of driveway it wouldn't engage into gear. So I had to adjust the clutch pedel WAY far back (toward driver or steering wheel) for it to be able to fully disengage clutch.

The noise it makes is in the transition of fully disengaged and engaged. Hard to describe but sounds a little like dragging plastic across the ground. It doesn't sound like metal to metal, doesn't have a 'grinding' or high pitch squeel.

Any ideas?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pivot ball distance is crucial. 1/8" difference is a big deal, according to a reputable local engine builder that sold me a bellhousing. He said to measure the pivot ball distance on my old bellhousing and use my old pivot ball in the new bellhousing, making sure the distance was the same.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:48 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

I wonder if the pivot ball and the noise are related though??
Old 08-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Originally Posted by tshort
I wonder if the pivot ball and the noise are related though??
Ya well hopefully its not since that would be a bit of a pain to adjust. Maybe get a helper to push the clutch for you while you lay under the car and listen?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Woo, that'd be pretty scary. I'll have to be the clutch pusher. This new motor is pretty loud, even with full exhaust. I also have a slight fear being under the car when it's running.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Oh you mean it only makes the noise with the engine running?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:26 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Boofers
Oh you mean it only makes the noise with the engine running?
Yes.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

I wonder if I got some oil or grease on the flywheel or clutch disc and it's slipping and making the noise. Does that make sense or is it plausible?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would definately be felt as a lack of engagement on takeoff. My guess is some sort of binding due to improper geometry. Either the clutch- fork stud, z-bar bushings, pilot bushing or throwout bearing itself. Sorry to say, to determine the cause is going to require a complete do-over. I try to look at these things as opportunity to learn more, instead of focusing on what I screwed up to begin with.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everything is new, then perhaps it may just take a short while for everything to settle down. I'd give it a short while to see if it settles.

If the noise persists then you will want to make sure that the clutch fork isn't running up on the throw-out bearing and making it crooked...really hard to see in the bell housing...but one of those mirrors and light on a stick could do it...mostly used for auto tranny work, but are great to see into a bell housing.

Definitely do NOT crawl under the car while it is running...unless you have made out a will.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a thought here. After installing a new clutch,I had a noise engaging/disengaging clutch...it seems I bent dust shield tabs at top of cover...which allowed contact with flywheel.....It really had me baffled for a couple of hours...I pulled cover,hammered tabs straight, (painted it this time)and re-installed..noise went away..

Last edited by rihwoods; 08-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

We're right in the middle of moving out of our house and I drove the car to storage Friday night. The trip was about 20 miles. The noise is dissapating but it's still there. I'm positive the clutch for pivot ball isn't where it was before so I'm hoping an adjustment will be all it takes.
I'm really not sure though how I can adjust that thing w/out pulling engine forward or tranny rear-ward. Any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To Strange clutch noise

Quick Reply: Strange clutch noise