C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age old ?, Edelbrock v. Holley (BG) help????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:17 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Age old ?, Edelbrock v. Holley (BG) help????

I have read the post recently about the 1405/06 performer, and the Demon thread. However, I have a little bit of a unique situation. I am restoring a 69. Bubba Brokenwrench owned it before me. He decided that when he took the blown 502 out, he would be kind enough to sell me the stock block. It was originally a 300/350. He added the following, 0.003 over stock, Comp Cams 292 cam, headers, and what appears to be a late 60's Z/28 manifold, with a Holley mech sec. 650 double pumper. The manifold is definetly set up for a square bore holley. It is a GM product, dual plane, high rise, and aluminium. Here is the problem. The Holley is shot. I do not have time to mess with a rebuild right now. I want something I can put on the car, and it will crank so that I can move it around as I work on it. Which carb will work the best for that. Also, will the 600 cfm Edlebrock work if I go that route. The car is several hours from my home, and I only get to work on it every few months. So until September when I bring it to its new home, it will probably on be started 2-3 times. Suggestions please.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:45 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest gripe about the Edelbrock carbs is that you can't use a drop-base air cleaner with them. If you want to use a 3 inch tall air filter, you need that drop-base air cleaner...BTW, I like the "Street Demon " for mild street engines...G/L
Old 07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

I noticed you're in Jackson...so am I. If you want, I'll rebuild the Holley and save you a few bucks. No sense in buying an Edelbrock when you already have a carb to use. As a matter of fact, I have a Holley 750 dp that I just rebuilt on my vette now that is a temporary deal until I get my 850 annularized, powdercoated and chromed. You can use the 750 in 2-3 weeks when I finish the 850 if you can wait that long. Lemme know....

Brett
Old 07-17-2005, 04:32 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brettmc
I noticed you're in Jackson...so am I. If you want, I'll rebuild the Holley and save you a few bucks. No sense in buying an Edelbrock when you already have a carb to use. As a matter of fact, I have a Holley 750 dp that I just rebuilt on my vette now that is a temporary deal until I get my 850 annularized, powdercoated and chromed. You can use the 750 in 2-3 weeks when I finish the 850 if you can wait that long. Lemme know....

Brett
Wow Brett! That's quite generous.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Us C3ers have to stick together!! Especially around here since there's so few of us.

Brett
Old 07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Brett,

That is a generous offer. I must confess, that my heart is in Jackson, but my work has carried me to St. Louis, at least for a while. My 69 is in Jackson, while I am restoring the exterior. It will be there for 2-3 more months. I have the rebuild kit for the Holley. I will be in Jackson the first or second weekend in August. The problem is, I will only be there 1 week = the surrounding weekends, and it has got to be able to get up and go when I get there. As for the air cleaner, I have a L-88 style hood thanks to BUb's, so that is not a problem.

All,
With the mild set up I have, will 600-650 cfm flow enough.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:15 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

i have an Edelbrock 600 with an electric choke I'll sell you for $125. It only has about 15,000 miles on it and has been sitting in my garage for a while. It may need new gaskets.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

No one answered your original question, I believe, and that was which is the best carb for your mild motor. Like Big G said, and I agree, the BG is the best built carb on the market at this time. There is nothing wrong with the quality and performace of the others (new) but more nice features and flexability are built into the BG currently then the others in my opinon...for what it's worth that's my two cents. The offer to rebuild is indeed very genirous, but with your need to slap a carb on and go, the used $125.00 deal is the cheapest/quick way out. If you can afford the money however, go buy a new carb and you will never have to worry about it later.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
WayneLBurnham
Racer

Default Guy, I have a drop base on mine - and it's been an AFB

Originally Posted by big_G
My biggest gripe about the Edelbrock carbs is that you can't use a drop-base air cleaner with them. If you want to use a 3 inch tall air filter, you need that drop-base air cleaner...BTW, I like the "Street Demon " for mild street engines...G/L
Now for some reason I have a modified spot on it which also modified the 3" K&N somewhat - and I can't remember why I did that for certain. I seem to recall it could only be put on clocked one or two places - maybe that modified place cleared the fuel line attachment. (It currently has a Holley on it.) I also have never used a choke on it - always just wired it open.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

79VetteMike
I may take you up on the carb. Let me think on it a minute or two. Although, this may be a bad omen, as my 69 came out of OK. Maybe, I am destined to buy every part of my car as I go along, pc by pc out of OK.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Must be warm there in Tx, like here in Fl. No need for chokes here, just water wings lately.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Wayne, did you stop by the Stadium last July when the Hot Rod Power Tour was there? If so, maybe you saw me there with my vette.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
With the mild set up I have, will 600-650 cfm flow enough.
Respectfully disagree.

The Comp Cam 292 specs out at 244/244@.050" lift and .501/.501 total lift. That is not a mild cam for a 350 (mild for a 350 is 210-22 @.050). That is a fairly radical cam with a 2500-6500 operating range according to Comp. I would expect torque peak about 4000 rpm and HP peak about 6000.

That said, you need a performance carb, not a Carter AFB clone. I would go with the 750 DP. You will be choking that engine with a 600-650 carb.

Last edited by SteveG75; 07-18-2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: My poor spelling
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I did not drive the car much before I started a while I am here project that gutted the whole thing. I did notice that the car would stumble of the line a little. I thought it may be a fuel issue, but I chalked it up to the old Holley needing a bebuild. While I do have a fairly BIG cam, I have not done any head work. Do you guys think I will see any significant performance going to the 750. Many a bubba has over carbed a car. I do not want to follow them down that old pock marked gravel road.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Steve is correct about the CFM. Good advise on the 750 CFM.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by 79VetteMike
Wow Brett! That's quite generous.
Mississippi Hospitality!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
WayneLBurnham
Racer

Default Nah...I was sure my idiot engine builder would have

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Wayne, did you stop by the Stadium last July when the Hot Rod Power Tour was there? If so, maybe you saw me there with my vette.
my engine ready in time for me to have had in in and tested by the Tour.

This actually occurred two days after Christmas, $3000 beyond original estimate - for a simple SBC.

The engine is down again, for the fourth time, after not even 5K miles...

Several of my pals went on that - one guy in a black GN from this area?

(This has NOT been one of my better years....)

Get notified of new replies

To Age old ?, Edelbrock v. Holley (BG) help????

Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Default Bad Year

Don't know if you've visited my cardomain site and read about my bad luck, but I had a small screw fall out of the base of my carb, went thru the blower, into the & thru the head and into a cyl while running. The head lifted, cyl filled with water and next stroke blew the cyl apart!! That was a $10,000.00 BBC loss. And the motor was brand new! Sorry you missed the tour. It is unbelievable. There were several GN's on the tour (I have video of one leaving Sat eve) so I'm not sure if it was your friend or not. Try and come to Fla next year and do the tour from Kississee, Fl in June 2006. It will be fun.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 PM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
No one answered your original question, I believe, and that was which is the best carb for your mild motor. Like Big G said, and I agree, the BG is the best built carb on the market at this time. There is nothing wrong with the quality and performace of the others (new) but more nice features and flexability are built into the BG currently then the others in my opinon...for what it's worth that's my two cents. The offer to rebuild is indeed very genirous, but with your need to slap a carb on and go, the used $125.00 deal is the cheapest/quick way out. If you can afford the money however, go buy a new carb and you will never have to worry about it later.

Mike if you still want to sell that carb!! I will buy it drop me a line if he does not take it.

Brian
brian.waldo@sullair.com
Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Mr. Blue
Sorry to here about the motor. My brother had a similar experience in a 400 sbc in a '55 a couple of years back. However, it just stopped the motor cold, with no damage. It is amazing what a little screw can do. About the carb for sale, go ahead and take my name out of the running for the Q-jet clone. I am glutten for punishment, and I am looking at a couple of Holley's. I know I am a dumb a#$ for doing it, but it is like drugs or something, I am going to be a lemming, and jump off the cliff with the rest of the Holley/BG crew. I am sure I will be back in a couple of months asking if anyone has a Q-jet clone for sale. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: Age old ?, Edelbrock v. Holley (BG) help????