C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Bearings

Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Bearings

Dam got in here the bearings look better than the ones I bought .
Has anyone just repacked and replaced there wheel bearings????
Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what is your method for inspecting the bearings? the rear bearings are press-fit to the spindle; in order to gain access to the outer bearing to pack it, you would have to press or hammer the spindle out of the housing, which ruins your inner bearing.

I have heard of people drilling and tapping the middle of the housing for a grease fitting (or two), but I wouldn't do it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the folks who service and rebuild these units for a living will tell you that the only way they can be properly lubed is by disassembly of the unit...you don't want to take a shortcut here
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by Rally68
what is your method for inspecting the bearings? the rear bearings are press-fit to the spindle; in order to gain access to the outer bearing to pack it, you would have to press or hammer the spindle out of the housing, which ruins your inner bearing.

I have heard of people drilling and tapping the middle of the housing for a grease fitting (or two), but I wouldn't do it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the folks who service and rebuild these units for a living will tell you that the only way they can be properly lubed is by disassembly of the unit...you don't want to take a shortcut here
Yep that is what I thought pull and re-place.
Shizzle just had my rear end all apart half shafts off doing yokes and did not do the wheel bearings at the same time.Only the drivers wheel seems to have any play.the pass is tight.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

it is a big job but pretty straightforward. let me know if you are going to do it yourself, i still have a spindle knocker and the spindle setup tools, plus fixtures I made to hold the housing in a bench vice while you torque it for set up, to press on the bearings, etc. i'd sell ya that stuff cheap if you want it

Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader vette

Originally Posted by Rally68
it is a big job but pretty straightforward. let me know if you are going to do it yourself, i still have a spindle knocker and the spindle setup tools, plus fixtures I made to hold the housing in a bench vice while you torque it for set up, to press on the bearings, etc. i'd sell ya that stuff cheap if you want it

Wow I can tell by your shop and tools you know what your doing thanks for the come back. I jacked the car up tonight and shook the tire its not the wheel bearings its the trailing arm bushings. the arm moves(other than up and down) and the other side does not what do you think.
and how much is cheap?? on your tools, ill need to do the bearings at some point and next year im building a pole barn. so ill be needing tools .The tire does not move side to side just up and down.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lon Wayne
Wow I can tell by your shop and tools you know what your doing

Thanks, I wish that were true...my wife tells people I am an amatuer mechanic and a professional tool collector.

On the tools, I was thinking $100 bucks. I know Duntov used to sell them for $200 and then buy them back for $120, if they still do that it's probably a better deal for you
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Why were you even considering changing them? Just because of age? If there is no significant 'slop' in the rear bearings, I would just leave them alone. Why screw with something that is working just fine? (especially with the most difficult part of the entire C3 vehicle) Put the new bearings in storage for when you really need them.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearings