C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Rad with dual fans – still hot!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 PM
zipp-75
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Rad with dual fans – still hot!

Okay, here is my question for all you guys out there with Dual fans and alm rads. Did you need to cut down your fan shroud in order to fill the space between that back of the radiator and the cross member?

I have sealed off everything there is to seal on the nose of the car – at least to the best of my knowledge. No magic here – she is a 75 convertible 4 speed – stock engine with some tuning done.

She does not over heat at idle – the fans cool her right down, but on the freeway she heats up more? Tacks high with stock gears – 3k. Other idea was water pump is going out, but I wanted to check in before I ordered an aml high flow.

Thanks for your time and suggestions
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you seal off the air coming in from the front of the car ?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

A Camaro I used to have started running hot on the highway but not in traffic. Turned out the timing was way off. Both retarded and advanced timing will make the engine run hot.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Did not cut my shroud down. Look at my photos. If you are not getting cooling on the highway, you are not getting air to go through the radiator.

Is the bottom of your radiator support sealed to the bodywork?
Are the sides and top of your support sealed?

Most important. Do you have the stock spoiler under the nose installed? This is critical to getting air to the radiator since our cars are "bottom breathers".
Old 06-30-2005, 06:21 PM
WayneLBurnham
Racer

Default Me too Zipp! DeWitt's with THREE Zirgos! 6500cfm!

Still running hot - EXACTLY like yours, except no runaway....up to 220-225 in hard cruise, but stable there. Too hot to cross desert or hold 140+/5K+, but nominal for now.

I ditched my shroud entirely. Tonight I will plug all the minor gaps, like I had with the shroud. I will measure to fill the space under the radiator to the crossmember with a plastic or aluminum sheet.

Mine is worse than yours. I have the 82 style nose, which is really incompatible with the 75 inner grill design from the standpoint of airflow. Since that isn't enough disadvantage, I installed an SSBC vacuum pump in the nose cone but it turned out I don't need it for this not-that-radical cam. Adding insult to injury required me turning my unused condensor into a remarkably effective tranny cooler, just to ensure my radiator ONLY sees 150+ degree air, and for more stupidity, I shoved a small oil cooler lower down in front of THAT just in case a little too much air was lining up to rush through to cool my engine sweat. (The oil cooler fitting JUST sprung the season's oil leak #17 and I simply bypassed it - only noticing about a 10 degree increase in oil temp, so THAT thing is just serving purpose on TOP of purpose!)

I also want to rig an expendable extension on my air dam to bring it about 2.5" off the ground to scoop more air. With the last radiator setup I added two bolts to the middle center to hold it down to grab air (it always pointed up for some reason, and no number of adjustments of the two big bolts and two added on leading edge connecting bolts could fix this.) The last time I was under there I also noticed a lot of air can go SIDEWAYS around the radiator arear behind the headlights to the side (wheel areas) and I'd like to do something to block that too.

Man though, ain't it great to be able to slow down, pull over and COOL DOWN now? Good luck!

Last edited by WayneLBurnham; 06-30-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: because I stupidly spilled sugared tea on my keyboard yesterday
Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Another item to look at is the lower radiator hose. Have someone rev the engine to around 3K and watch the lower radiator hose to make sure it is not collapsing.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 PM
zipp-75
Advanced

Timming is perfect - Good suggestions!

Discovered the lower rad to support seal is missing. Will install another one I have tomorrow.

All other seals are new and right.

Front spoiler is Pace Car style - should be good there.

Running about 195 on Freeway with fans running all the way. Driving me nuts really. Not sure how hot she will get if I keep going, weather was over 90 today.

I like that lower hose suggestion - I will look into that idea as well.

Nice to know I do not need to butcher my stock shroud.

Thanks for all your input, you guys rock!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

I wouldn't be too concerned if it was running 195* on the highway. I would be quite pleased with that.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things to check:

1) Verify your temp gage is accurate, mine read about 20 degrees high.

2) Duntov had the same problem with the 68 Vette. Fine at idle, overheated at highway speeds. The problem was that air was trapped by a fan. Believe it or not, propeller driven air planes use their props as brakes when throttled back, coming in on approach. Duntov had a spring loaded trap door in the shroud that would open when air stacked up infront of the fans.

Above 30-35mph, you don't need any fans or shrouds, period.

Chuck
Old 07-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things to check:

1) Verify your temp gage is accurate, mine read about 20 degrees high.

2) Duntov had the same problem with the 68 Vette. Fine at idle, overheated at highway speeds. The problem was that air was trapped by a fan. Believe it or not, propeller driven air planes use their props as brakes when throttled back, coming in on approach. Duntov had a spring loaded trap door in the shroud that would open when air stacked up infront of the fan.

Above 30-35mph, you don't need any fans or shrouds, period.

Chuck
Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

This thread is sort of a breath of fresh air to me. (no pun intended )

My engine overheated and cracked both heads in April (300+ degrees does that). Had the engine remanufactured/rebuilt to a 355. Lately I been running about 190 (somewhere under 200) or so on the freeway with the new distributor and carburetor. Glad to know I'm not really getting too hot in there.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Here is a post from a Volvo forum:

My 1989 240 DL warms up normally (temp. gauge on the mark), but after about 10 minutes of highway driving the gauge rises almost to or slightly into the hot zone. I can bring it back down to normal by turning the heater on full-blast.Coolant level is OK and not leaking, belts are tight, top radiator hose is getting hot so thermostat must be opening, the radiator hoses are soft but don't appear to be collapsing. I think it's actually overheating and not just a problem with the gauge, because the air conditioner output warms up when the gauge goes up. I guess I could just start replacing parts until it's fixed but would rather begin at the most likely source of the trouble. Where should I start?

Sounds just like what our C3's do.

I think the problem getting much worse with the a/c on is proof positive not enough air is passing through the radiator.

And just about every time, the fix is either a blocked radiator or the fan clutch.

I'm putting a new fan clutch on today; everything else is fairly new.

Last edited by PhotoVette1; 07-01-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Razorhorn
Pro

I have the same symptoms as you, and I also have a 75. Get yourself an IR gun on Ebay for $50 and measure the temperature at the thermostat housing. Temp senders are NOTORIOUS for giving a false reading at the temperature gauge. My readout at the gauge is 22.5 higher than the actual water temperature and it's because of the temp sender. A friend of mine runs 15 degrees hotter than his gauge reads (a bigger problem than mine, but at least he knows about it).
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
zipp-75
Advanced

Good point on the temp gauge. But, here is what I am seeing.

You would think with an L-48 motor, that has a Griffon rad with twin SPAL fans and a fan step controller I would not be having this issue. I am really using my AMP gauge to see how much the fans are pulling based on the sending unit they are using.

In order to test the system I also installed a 160 thromstat and they are still on at freeway speeds.

All I want is my fans not to be running all the time - no reason for it really. I agree the fans may be causing an issue if on at freeway speeds, but they have built in air diverters when at speed.

Today I will install the lower rad seal and put some water wetter in her to see how that does. If this does not do it, I am thinking I may be getting cavitation at the water pump at freeway speeds. Just maybe?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 AM
zipp-75
Advanced

Pic of current setup:

Another angle:

Note: These were install pics - seals were not in yet..
Old 07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running the same setup essentially and I have zero problems. In fact, my fans do not even come on when I am on the freeway, even on a hot day. I accidentally left the fans disconnected one day and went for a drive and noticed that it was heating up at stop lights but cooling down on the road. Made it home no problem.

I know you want an answer, but all I can offer is hope.

Good Luck,
Chris
Old 07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
zipp-75
Advanced

Originally Posted by 71roadster
I have been running the same setup essentially and I have zero problems. In fact, my fans do not even come on when I am on the freeway, even on a hot day. I accidentally left the fans disconnected one day and went for a drive and noticed that it was heating up at stop lights but cooling down on the road. Made it home no problem.

Good Luck,
Chris
I'll take hope right now! Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Rad with dual fans – still hot!

Old 07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto that 195* is not a problem, as long as it's stable.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
Ditto that 195* is not a problem, as long as it's stable.

That's not even boiling plain water, and I assume you are running some antifreeze or additive plus a pressure system of about 14lbs. That would translate to a boiling point of 260 or so. As long as the block has liquid in it, you should be getting heat transfer, so 195 is fine.

I'd check timing also (like Zwede suggested) and possibly oil level. The oil acts like a container for heat...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71roadster

Good Luck,
Chris
same here.
My 450hp 434 small block was running hot in slow traffic, fine ideling, fine at hiway speeds. It normally runs abour 200-210 so this was pretty weird.

Turns out I had the fans running backwards, so they were trying to push air against the wind

Quick Reply: Aluminum Rad with dual fans – still hot!