C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Brake Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yellow 73: How much will that cost?

Rick
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with Baer is they use the same calipers as the C5's. The pistons are too small and they need a different master cylinder.

The C3 brakes actually have quite large pistons and are a good 4 piston design. The only down side of the system is they are so damn heavy and prone to leaks.

Hydraboost is only a way to reduce pedal feel. You could do the same thing by changing your pedal ratio.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow73sb
i plan on using 2 peice rotors and maybe switching to superlites
Vette brakes does make a decent aluminum hub that takes a bolt on rotor.
13" ( or even bigger ) rotors can be custom made by Coleman.

I have brackets that will fit3.5" mount calipers to the 13" rotor. Thats what I'm running.
The 13" rotor and aluminum hub is the same weight as the stock hub and rotor.

If you have them drilled they'd be even lighter

Not the cheapest solution, but a whole lot cheaper than buying a kit for any other car.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Taijutsu

Rick
probally around 1k for the calipers. around 200 for the rotors only for the front though because those get the most wear.
427v8 pics?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

I've been fighting brake problems on my '69 doe 29 years. I had muliple master cylinders and calipers. I even bought a complete new set of brakes from GM in '77 in hopes of curing the leak and pedal problems.

I am now running SSBC aluminum brake calipers. They provide an excellent pedal and feel. I have had a couple of small leaks on one caliper, but at least they have fixed it both times at no cost, and they seem to be holding up well now.

NEVER ever consider Zero Tolerance O-ring brake pistons - they cost me a year and I never got them to work - when the brake pedal was released, the brake pistons in the calipers retracted so I could not get a pedal.

The brake system is CLEARLY the WEAKEST link in the C3 Corvette!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 427V8
Vette brakes does make a decent aluminum hub that takes a bolt on rotor.
13" ( or even bigger ) rotors can be custom made by Coleman.

I have brackets that will fit3.5" mount calipers to the 13" rotor. Thats what I'm running.
The 13" rotor and aluminum hub is the same weight as the stock hub and rotor.

If you have them drilled they'd be even lighter

Not the cheapest solution, but a whole lot cheaper than buying a kit for any other car.
Im getting scalloped rotors (wavy rotors) and drilled and the supposed to be really light. also can you put 2 peice rotors in the rear?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I'm thinking in getting the Aerospace front brake kit.. Takes 50 lbs off the front end
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
I'm thinking in getting the Aerospace front brake kit.. Takes 50 lbs off the front end
isnt that for drag racing? its the one piston one right?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Planning on going with the Wilwood system; just doing wheels/tiers first.

427V8, got any photos?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:20 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBigBlock
Planning on going with the Wilwood system; just doing wheels/tiers first.

427V8, got any photos?
Yea Sorry for the delay, the wife met me at the door in a miniskirt and forced me to go to happy hour with her It's a rough life

Don't worry about the double lines coming off of the caliper. the top line is used for brake fluid recirculators. Basically it bleeds your brakes everytime you press on the pedal,

Normally the calipers have two upper bleed screws just like the stock calipers.

These are the 4 piston superlite calipers.

This is what they look like on the stock rotors. It's a superlite 6 which I don't recommend. Not enough piston area for the Vette Brake system. the Superlite 4's look almost exactly the same.

Last edited by 427V8; 07-01-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:42 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu

Rick
I did all the work myself and the 14 inch rotors rough cast were $512 or something like that for the pair plus hours of machining.
The centers or hats cost me $100 per piece of rough stock and again hours of machining.
You could buy all this from Coleman in 12 inch much cheaper.
This is the stock rotor beside the new 14 inch.
couldn't believe the difference 2 inches makes in size.
The edges are lined up in this shot
That is a stock rotor on the right

Last edited by norvalwilhelm; 07-01-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 427V8
Yea Sorry for the delay, the wife met me at the door in a miniskirt and forced me to go to happy hour with her It's a rough life

Don't worry about the double lines coming off of the caliper. the top line is used for brake fluid recirculators. Basically it bleeds your brakes everytime you press on the pedal,

Normally the calipers have two upper bleed screws just like the stock calipers.

These are the 4 piston superlite calipers.

This is what they look like on the stock rotors. It's a superlite 6 which I don't recommend. Not enough piston area for the Vette Brake system. the Superlite 4's look almost exactly the same.
how wide are the rotors on stock rotors?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:34 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Stock rotors are 11.75" x 1.25"
Old 07-01-2005, 11:44 PM
hermit
Burning Brakes

I can't figure out why nobody makes a bigger brake setup for c2 and c3 corvettes thats plug and play. If you want a Baer kit for an 82 malibu, no problem. Got a pickup? Hey we got you covered. I'm sure there are a lot of people autocrossing those. I'm interested mostly in the aesthetics of the larger rotors and would like slotted/cross drilled because of the look. The stock system works pretty good but when you add larger diameter wheels they look pretty puny in there. Also there is the advantage of the greater leverage larger rotors provide. It lets you modulate the braking with greater precision. As for the hydraboost they are just adapting it from one automotive use to another so the pressure they produce shouldn't be a factor. If it works on a one model of car it should be ok on another. I've never heard of any pressure related problems if the system is in good condition. When you want to use tall valve covers on a big block car with power brakes your options become limited and that system gives you one more option.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hermit
I can't figure out why nobody makes a bigger brake setup for c2 and c3 corvettes thats plug and play.
The reason is because the stock system uses such large pistons in the calipers. The only upgrade would be to use even larger pistons (larger than most aftermarket applications) or use a smaller master cylinder, or alter the pedal ratio.

Designing a system with these limitations costs a lot in R&D and the big companies just don't see the benefit for a relatively small market. The reason there are kits for 82 malibu's is the malibu's use the same components as most other GM cars making the system cheap to manufacture.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:14 AM
hermit
Burning Brakes

A kit that would use the stock style calipers and bigger rotors would even be ok. Or you could go to the force 10's. If you saw the episode of overhaulin where they did the C2 they used what they called a prototype setup from Baer. If they had a system engineered already that fit that car how much could it cost to get it to the production stage? I would think that companies like ssbc and vette brakes have shown that there is a good size market for C2-C3 upgrades.

Quick Reply: C3 Brake Upgrades?