C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery? Starter? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
jaycjackson21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery? Starter? Help!

A couple of days ago the 75 started turning over slowly and weakly and making an awful squeal when it was cranked up (it ran fine other than that) - learned that this was likely a problem with the starter.

Went out this afternoon and it is not even turning over (silence). Is the starter definitely fried? I will try jumping the battery this afternoon - something I've had to do a couple of times lately (both times in the middle of a hot day). Is it possible that it's the battery and not the starter? Would that explain the slow/weak turnover problem (i.e. the battery isnt getting enough juice to the starter)?

Thanks for the help guys!
JCJ
Old 06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
jaycjackson21
Instructor

OK - just went down and jumped it and she started right up. Let it ride a minute, shut down, and then cranked again. She turned over but didnt start.

Could it be the alternator? If it's the battery, is it possible that there's nothing wrong with the starter (even though it has not been starting cleanly lately?)

THANKS!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is the battery? Mine went after two years because of non use. I also have a cutoff switch on my negative terminal because of a slow drain even after the keyswitch is off. I am no expert but when the engine is running the amp meter should be charging at around 14 volts.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Go to a local Radio Shack and invest in a cheap (less than $15) Digital Multimeter. Set it to the 20V DC scale and put the Red lead to the Positive Terminal (Goes to the starter) and the black lead on the ground terminal (Goes to the engine block or head) Meter should read battery voltage of about 12.85 Volts for a charged battery. A discharged battery will read lower by up to 2 Volts, depending on state of discharge. While monitoring Voltmeter, have an assistant turn on the headlights. If the Voltmeter drops over 1 Volt, the battery is discharged or actually bad.

Start the car with a Jumper Cable. Monitor the same points on the battery for from 13.5V to 14.8V. If the voltage is lower or doesn't increase at all, the Alternator is faulty.

If you suspect the battery or alternator, any reputable auto shop can quickly determine which is bad and correct the problem.

Good Luck with your problem
Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Silver76'
Heel & Toe

hey make sure you check the bat cables for corrosion, had the same problem and it was and internally corroded neg bat cable, good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Battery? Starter? Help!

Quick Reply: Battery? Starter? Help!