C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting detent cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:30 PM
81vettelover1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting detent cable

81 350, Car will not down shift. I put a new modulator on trans, vacuum off manifold, and adjusted cable. When adjusting cable I pushed the button in and pushed the slide all the way in. Hooked it back to the carb and got in car and depressed gas pedal. It slid out about one click and seems to be very tight. So tight that the bracket flexs. The modulator that I put on is adjustable but I did not turn it. It dosnt seem to be down shifting at all when you gas on it. Up shifts fine other from that.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

When I hooked mine back up, I didn't adjust anything, and it works fine. Maybe lucky, I guess.......look for other problems......OH, by the way, mines not tight....
Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Not sure if I understand how you did yours but when I installed mine I pulled the button out on the cable with it hooked to accelerator, moved accelerator to WOT and pushed the button back in at that point. These were the instruction on the box. Mine downshifts all the way to first gear now when I nail it. Not sure if it should go to first or just to second but it does get up and move then.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
c3-4me
Instructor

Have you changed you carb/bracket set-up? I had this problem when I changed mine, and it turned out the throttle cable wasn't adjusted right. It wasn't opening up the carb all the way. Just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting detent cable

Quick Reply: Adjusting detent cable