C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start, turn key power, but no starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 03:13 PM
grybdn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car won't start, turn key power, but no starter

I just took my car for an hour ride, and parked in the drive way. Had some lunch, went outside to put it away. Noda, zip zero. The radio cme on, the amp gage moved, but no starter. Opend the hood, did not touch anything, went in side to get a drink and a smoke. Figured I'd tryi int agin, started right up. I figured the starter got to hot and needed to cool down a little more. This is the first time it has happend to me.

Is my assumption correct, or should I start racking my brain trying to figure it out.

BTW 71 w/350
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter heat soak. Very common. I replaced the solenoid with a new AC Delco unit, and got a shorter spring (can't remember the part number) that goes inside it (replacing the one that comes with the solenoid). Problem solved -- going on 3 years!
Old 05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
Starter heat soak. Very common. I replaced the solenoid with a new AC Delco unit, and got a shorter spring (can't remember the part number) that goes inside it (replacing the one that comes with the solenoid). Problem solved -- going on 3 years!
Solenoid starting to go, or perhaps check batt. connections for corrosion.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Old 05-29-2005, 07:11 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

A remote solenoid cures hot-start issues well.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:57 PM
mean8t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a heat shield?

What is the p/n for thenew GM solenoid?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Next time it happens put a voltmeter on the small wire at the solenoid and turn the key. If you have around 12 volts - the starter and/or solenoid is the problem. If you have less than 11.5 volts check the wiring, keyswitch, clutch switch, etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:07 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Had same thing happen some years ago...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:31 AM
1pfieffer1
Advanced

Same thing happened to the wife on Friday. Long run on the interstate, stopped for coffee, and bingo, nothing. Waited about 15 min and started right up. Would wrapping the starter with heat shielding material and or wapping the exhaust right there work? How about a high torque mini starter? How hard is it to replace a solenoid on a starter? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Deputy_Dogg
4th Gear

A remote solenoid or a gear-reduction aftermarket starter is the way to go. Or you can keep a bottle of water under the seat.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:58 AM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pfieffer1
Same thing happened to the wife on Friday. Long run on the interstate, stopped for coffee, and bingo, nothing. Waited about 15 min and started right up. Would wrapping the starter with heat shielding material and or wapping the exhaust right there work? How about a high torque mini starter? How hard is it to replace a solenoid on a starter? Thanks for the help.
I put a heat wrap on mind and it help a little bit. Just this past weekend I put one of those high torque starters on.

Here is the one I installed:
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/product2263.html
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM
RussellMc
Instructor

I had the same problem that got worse over time. I decided to buy a new starter at autozone ($40?) - haven't had a problem since. Oh, I would have done it sooner; but, the starter on the car checked good. Go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To car won't start, turn key power, but no starter

Quick Reply: car won't start, turn key power, but no starter