C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Guys With Richmond 6s....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
singedfur
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You Guys With Richmond 6s....

Did you shorten the yoke? The directions for installing in C3s from Richmond recommends shortening the yoke to 3" from the original approximately 3.5". Nobody's mentioned doing that, and strangely the longer 3.5" yoke seems to safely slip full-length into the tranny without contacting anything, so I'm wondering if it's necessary to shorten it.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Originally Posted by singedfur
Did you shorten the yoke? The directions for installing in C3s from Richmond recommends shortening the yoke to 3" from the original approximately 3.5". Nobody's mentioned doing that, and strangely the longer 3.5" yoke seems to safely slip full-length into the tranny without contacting anything, so I'm wondering if it's necessary to shorten it.
I used the yoke from the Super T-10 four speed with no problem...

What yoke are you talking about?

Bob
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I thought I was going to have to do this also. Interesting.

I bought the TH-400 one (short one with caps) and was going to cut mine as per their instructions. I haven't slipped it in yet and recently thought I saw that Richmond is now selling one (yoke) specifically tailored for our application (shortened). I was going to put the stock GM one in the other car and just buy that one they have if it had caps. I had a special HD (Heavy Duty) ROD built and their tech people were very knowledgable. A simple call to them should square things. I am not looking at the tranny as I type this, but I think that something simple like the speedo plastic gear thing was the problem (interference). I will look at the instructions when I get home. Those instructions were detailed as to why you had to cut the yoke and if it was the speedo gear, then without it- the yoke without cutting could be installed. Also the shifter handle for me that came with it is ridiculously "long". I was planning to buy the short straight one that they have from Summit.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used a TH 400 with no mods to it or the shaft.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
singedfur
Instructor

They say to usea TH-400 yoke (shortened). I have the stock GM '75 BW 4-speed yoke: I believe that's the same as a TH-400 yoke?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Yoke 3930827

I have the yoke with the above number. I initially installed as it is built. Since I have this annoying noise in neutral at idle; I went ahead and trimmed about 1/2" off it.....didn't make any difference. I also took the tranny out and tore it apart to take a look inside before I changed that yoke.

The length of the yoke doesn't seem to matter; I couldn't see that it had done any damage whatsoever.

And I still have that annoying noise ....
Old 05-21-2005, 10:05 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by singedfur
Nope. Used a TH400 yoke. The R.O.D. has been installed- along with the 502- for 5 years- no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:50 PM
singedfur
Instructor

And just to verify...

I have the yoke out of the old Borg Warner 4-speed ('75). Is that a TH400 yoke? It slips into the 6-speed just fine (26 splines).

Get notified of new replies

To You Guys With Richmond 6s....

Quick Reply: You Guys With Richmond 6s....