C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Method to Crank for TDC- see Pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A point of caution: Don't look down the carb while trying to start when you don't know timing position. Causes singed eyebrows or severe skin and eye problems!!

I assume that the spark plug wires are in the proper sequence. Check.

Now let's get the timing set to a proper initial position.

The good point is that you know that you are getting spark. The bad point is that the timing is incorrect causing the backfire through the carb. since you have a HEI, you can set the timing mark to the correct spot on the crank pulley (using tissue and wrench method) and remove the #1 spark plug. Using a Vise Grip or other clampling tool, attach the spark plug to an engine ground where you can see the plug gap. Attach the #1 plug wire to the #1 plug. Looking at the rotor, rotate the distributor body until the rotor is BEFORE the #1 position. Turn on the Ignition. DO NOT TRY TO START. Replace the cap on the HEI and secure it down. While watching the gap on the spark plug, slowly turn the distributor body toward the #1 position. When the spark jumps the gap of the plug, you are at the correct initial timing point. If you miss the spark, or are unsure that you saw it, just rotate the distributor back to before #1 firing point and do it again. Once you are sure that you have found the correct firing point, secure the distributor in place so it can't move accidently.

Replace #1 plug into head, connect wire and start engine. Use a timing light to get precise timing position per spec book.

Good Luck
Old 05-21-2005, 11:31 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the tissue trick + starter bump again to get TDC and got this :
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...cat/500/page/1
Then I removed the distributor and turned it so that the rotor is pointing directly between the #1 and the #8 terminals on the Disti cap when put back on. See here:
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...cat/500/page/1
Then I put disti cap back one so that the rotor is still in the middle of #1 and #8.
Then I placed the #1 spark plug into the wire and touched the end of the electrode to the frame. I turned the key to the ON position and then slowly rotated the disti. base while looking at the spark plug. I never saw a spark....
Been going on this one all day---I think its off to dreamland for me...
Old 05-21-2005, 11:33 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

you might have the timing 180* off. with the plugs out the engine should turn rather freely. loosen the belts, make sure all plugs are out and make sure it isn't in gear .turn the crank by hand to get the timing right. setting the timing with the starter is a PITA. make sure plug wires are in the right order.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my easy to reach solution
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Engraver
Instructor

To crank the motor over slowly I put it in 4th gear and while standing over the drivers fender watching the crank, push on the top of the tire. Get the car rocking back and forth just a little and it will slowly roll forward and crank the motor over. Make sure the ignition is off! It wouldn't be good if the motor started while doing this.

Jughead, Beautiful looking motor. What alternator bracket are you using? I'm having a hard time finding one to fit on the head like you have.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:39 PM
79vetter
Drifting

"To crank the motor over slowly I put it in 4th gear and while standing over the drivers fender watching the crank, push on the top of the tire. Get the car rocking back and forth just a little and it will slowly roll forward and crank the motor over."

I did what you said above by rocking in 4th gear- this did crank the motor-- I also put my tissue into the #1 cylinder like before. I have the line on the balancer right at the 0 on the gauge of the balancer but my question is: why didnt the tissue get compressed out?
I even cranked it fully around again to make sure and the tissue is still in #1..??
Old 05-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

The tissue wasn't blown out because the compression built up slowly, and bled off through the tissue. It would really be nice to use a rubber plug, or cork or something a little more substantial than a tissue.

# 2 Cylinder fires directly before #1. The firing order is 18436572. It really sounds as if you need someone to assist you in getting the timing mark set and insuring you are truly on #1 TDC and not #6. The timing mark lines up properly on either setting, but there is compression only on #1.

The distributor rotor should be between #2 and #1 and rotate the distributor body counterclockwise to bring #1 spark plug wire to the firing position. Since the HEI has so much energy, you could use an old spark plug and open the gap up to about 0.100 to better see the spark. Might also help to do in the dark.

Since your profile gives no contact info, I can't e-mail or call you to offer more timely help.

Last edited by Bob in Dallas; 05-22-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Well I think that I got her figured out.
Yes, I had been in gear when I was trying to turn the crank and that is why I rounded it off.
I then tried Bob's method last night but I wasn't getting spark because I had the rotor positioned between #1 and #8 instead of #1 and #2.
I used one of the other suggestions by pushing the wheel forward in 4th gear- I then adjusted the rotor, got spark, fastened down the distrib. , checked timing and now its running great..
But thanks to all that contributed- I certainly learned a lot and that is what it is all about....
Old 05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Great to hear you got it going. I gave you my phone # in a reply to your IM. Give me a call.

Quick Reply: Best Method to Crank for TDC- see Pic