C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 383 Engine Swap Post With Pictures [Dialup B-Ware]

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a Edelbrock RPM intake maifold???
Sure does look good in there I
bet it's gonna sound BAD ***
Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's a Comp Cams clone RPM intake. We should have ignition on Wed. barring any complications.

CORRECTION: It is a clone Performer EPS intake. Sorry.

Last edited by tersian; 08-18-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 AM
tersian
Pro

Okay, no fire on Sunday, we fire tomorrow. I didn't realize the rear two ports on a Performer EPS were in the water jacket. That doesn't work for the brake booster

Here's another image to keep you wanting more:

Old 08-25-2005, 11:08 PM
82MDVette
Drifting

What happened during this past week? I just bought a ZZ4 crate motor and would like to see many detailed photos of the install to assist with my upcoming project. Whatever you could provide would be helpful...
Love the post!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 AM
tapio
Racer

Ttt
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Unforgiven1
Instructor

Originally Posted by tersian
Okay, no fire on Sunday, we fire tomorrow. I didn't realize the rear two ports on a Performer EPS were in the water jacket. That doesn't work for the brake booster
Don't feel bad about that. I've seen people do that around two dozen times. We even had one $80K plus street rod roll into our shop with the booster hooked up like that. The owner wanted us to figure out why it was so hard to stop.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM
ThereIsNoSpoon
Pro

This is a great thread. Thank you very much for taking the time to post all of the detail that you did. Your work is very much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
tersian
Pro

Hey everbooby!

Okay, wow.. well, there really are no pictures of the install because it was basically the reverse of the uninstall. Read the thread backwards and that's the install procedure

Seriously tho, I've moved 2400 miles away and my vette is back on the East coast. We had what we thought was a float problem on the Speed Demon but it was a fuel capacity problem in the fuel tank. There was plenty of capacity but I didn't have any fuel in it. So, when I left it was running(open headers) and was going to be scheduled to get into the exhaust shop to mate up the existing aftermarket exhaust with the new engine and headers. After that, I've assigned a good buddy and mechanic that I trust to run it around and get it dialed in before it is shipped to Arizona where I now reside.

There are some lingering issues that we need to deal with, one being the radiator hose. Since we placed the SPAL sensor in the front top water jacket hole I had to get a swivel 45deg water neck. Well, that doesn't fit the stock hose too well, we are going to have to do something with a custom or one of the Spectre hoses.

The heater blower fan comes on when the engine starts. I don't know why, we can't locate any shorts that would have caused that. Electrical gremlin.

When I wasn't looking, the header flange on install headbutted the blower housing and made a nice hole. That will need to be glassed in and painted flat black.

Final timing needs to be set at 34-36 total at 3000RPM, but that will be done as it is being dialed in.

I have no photos or video, but I will once the car is back with me.

Stay tuned!

I can also answer any questions in the meantime!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
tersian
Pro

One more thing, with the Performer EPS and all the manifold vacuum connections you need, if you are using a Holley or Demon, you will need a low profile 90deg fitting that goes into the firewall side vacuum port. A regular fitting is too tall and will hit the bowl. You could also use a carb spacer but I wanted to keep all the clearance I could towards the hood. If you need the part number for that fitting, let me know, it's made by Edelbrock.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymaniac
looks good!
Yep. But BTW, that one you have labelled as 'OIL SENSOR' is your coolant temp sensor for the dash gauge.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:10 AM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Excellent post. Can't wait until you get it all fired up and tuned in. Thanks for all of the info.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
tersian
Pro

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Yep. But BTW, that one you have labelled as 'OIL SENSOR' is your coolant temp sensor for the dash gauge.

Thanks, I figured that out after I broke off that sensor in the old block trying to get it out. I think the stealership charged me $60 for it.

Good eye!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
tersian
Pro

A little update, my cousin Joe is doing all the final dialing in back on the east coast for me, he is also getting the final exhaust work done. He called me yesterday to let me know that the exhaust is done but the floats are set way too high, so he was going to tinker with that last night. He also had to outsmart the local law enforcement because they were hunting him down for starting up that beautiful 383 at 6:30am so he could get it to the exhaust shop and get over to work. Now the car is somewhat legal(needs PA inspection, but I am bringing it out to AZ so it won't need it really.) I am keeping it registered in PA so I don't have to do AZ emissions with it, but they don't have an inspection out here, and I'd like to see one of these county mounties pull me over and question me about PA inspections. yeah right.

Anyway, I am hoping to have it out here by October.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:41 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tersian
Anyway, I am hoping to have it out here by October.

Its gonna be lots of fun!!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:09 PM
tersian
Pro

UPDATE: 200 Miles on the new engine(thanks to my cousin back home driving it around) , one new problem, the heater core went. A little glycol on the rug was the only damage. Will need to find dwarf to replace it when it gets out here. Exhaust is connected, will probably re-do the exhaust with different mufflers since the flowmaster 40's aren't deep enough with the new engine. Going to bypass the heater for now, just going loopback the coolant hose on the intake.

Cousin JJ reports: "It sounds awesome, a real head turner. Sets off car alarms all over town. Plenty of power, must be real careful, tires will break loose real easy. Need to dial the timing in perfect, not quite there yet.[which means "I want to drive it some more"].

I'll get pics and video when it gets out here or if I go home before it is shipped out.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

I'll get pics and video when it gets out here or if I go home before it is shipped out
that would be nice
Old 11-03-2005, 04:17 PM
tersian
Pro

Okay, I am flying back to PA in a week, I am going to get pix and hopefully video before I ship her out to the west coast. This weekend I will fix all the pictures in this thread, I moved the site that had all the links, so I will need to replace them. No biggie, they'll be back in a few days.

I also want to do some more posts about installing the SPAL fans and wiring etc.

BTW Tom D. they work great, stays plenty cool. Now, moving the bad boy out to the desert will be the real test

-b
Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 PM
tersian
Pro

Okay, my life is real behind schedule, but is hopefully catching up. Here's the latest:

Went home, only to find that the engine would diesel real bad. Backed the timing off a bit and took the idle down, not sure if the damn choke is even setup right. Not going to mess with it until it gets out here, setting the choke up in PA winter is useless when trying to set a car up for AZ. So, we got it running well, I drove it and well, all I can say is WOW, what a difference.

I brought it back to the house and noticed oil leaking pretty good out of the bottom of the engine, of course, being the pessimist I am, I start thinking rear main and cursing AR. Well, turns out it was just one of the oil pan bolts that were only finger tight. That's scary, I hope they tightened everything else well. Now that it's tight, there's no oil and she runs like a champ. She'll be shipped out west here in a few days, and I can really get some pix/vids for everyone(yeah, I know I've been promising, but things keep not going well.)

My father heard the car for the first time and he says to me, "why is it so loud, do you have mufflers on that damn thing?" Hhahahaha.

Okay, well, just wanted to give an update, I saw some 81 guy asking about what to put in his car, figured this would help him out a bit.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:02 AM
tersian
Pro

All the images are back online again, enjoy!

Quick Reply: 81 383 Engine Swap Post With Pictures [Dialup B-Ware]