C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley tuning kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley tuning kits?

Can anyone recommend a source for a grab bag of holley tune-in parts? I have a 670 street avenger (electric choke, vacuum secondaries...no laughing, you big carb guys!). I'm using it as setup by the factory with the exception of a lighter vacuum secondary spring, and I want to run through Lars' tuneup procedure for maximum performance. That means I'll need a variety of jets, accelerator pump cams/nozzles, power valves, etc. Rather than guessing what I might need and ordering a pile of individual parts, I was hoping to get a box of goodies that includes the most common sizes of everything to experiment with. I'll never learn this stuff until I start doing it, and it's time to stop shying away from the carb...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grinchia
a 670 street avenger .... maximum performance.
You're busted for use of an oxymoron in a public place...

Brett
Old 05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a vacuum gauge. Cruise around with it taped to your windshield. Use a power valve 2" lower than the lowest observed vacuum.

More than likely, you will not move more than 2-3 jet sizes from base setting. So just buy those jets.

As for accelerator pump stuff, 9 times out of 10 the base setup will be just fine.

No sense buying a lot of parts you won't use. The best expenditure will be your time....learning about carbs and learning why the changes you make do what they do. Get a book. If I remember correctly, you have a bb. You should have at least a 750 on it, and a DP at that.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...84089283&itm=4

Brett
Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holley fast kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&N=400178
Joe
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by Brettmc
Get a vacuum gauge. Cruise around with it taped to your windshield. Use a power valve 2" lower than the lowest observed vacuum.

More than likely, you will not move more than 2-3 jet sizes from base setting. So just buy those jets.

As for accelerator pump stuff, 9 times out of 10 the base setup will be just fine.

No sense buying a lot of parts you won't use. The best expenditure will be your time....learning about carbs and learning why the changes you make do what they do. Get a book. If I remember correctly, you have a bb. You should have at least a 750 on it, and a DP at that.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...84089283&itm=4

Brett
Thanks, I have a couple of Holley books, I just need to start putting some of the theory to the test. I'm aiming for a bigger carb, in fact 750 is my target, but wheather or not i need mechanical secondaries for the street I haven't decided. I want to use my current carb for hands on experimenting with variables. I got some questionable advice a year and a half ago when I bought this carb ...despite that, the car will really move. I just need to cure a little off idle stumble, and check on a possible lean situation that has arisen since I installed my JCL spiral inserts (seems to be running hot and way to clean, with backfiring on deceleration at times.)
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by joe73vette

perfect, thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
carl a
Safety Car

i have the same carb on my 383 in my 73 coupe, lars dialed it in friday at the tuning for beer tour in chicagi,,he changed the jets from 65 primary and 68 sec(stock),,to 67 primary and 74 sec, changed the spring to the white lighter one,,and he adjusted the butterflys to open correctly(were not correct stock),,also put in lighter springs for the advance in the msd distrib,,and set the timing to 35 deg at 4000 rpm,,car preforms 10 times better.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by carl a
i have the same carb on my 383 in my 73 coupe, lars dialed it in friday at the tuning for beer tour in chicagi,,he changed the jets from 65 primary and 68 sec(stock),,to 67 primary and 74 sec, changed the spring to the white lighter one,,and he adjusted the butterflys to open correctly(were not correct stock),,also put in lighter springs for the advance in the msd distrib,,and set the timing to 35 deg at 4000 rpm,,car preforms 10 times better.
...Exactly what I hope to accomplish (although I'll have to settle for Lars' previously published instructions, rather than bask in the glory of the icon himself ).
Old 05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
carl a
Safety Car

what about sending lars your carb?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by carl a
what about sending lars your carb?
once the engine is rebuilt to it's final specs (or replaced...) I'll have my FINAL carb drop shipped to Lars for the pampering it needs

Get notified of new replies

To Holley tuning kits?

Quick Reply: Holley tuning kits?