C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Engine Noise

I am not a mechanic but I have an idea what the noise is. I was driving down the road and I started hearing what I thought was an exhaust leak, well the noise became more mecanical sounding and changed as I ccelerated. I get home and it is a ticking noise coming from what sounds like underneath the right side valve cover. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Originally Posted by swtato
I am not a mechanic but I have an idea what the noise is. I was driving down the road and I started hearing what I thought was an exhaust leak, well the noise became more mecanical sounding and changed as I ccelerated. I get home and it is a ticking noise coming from what sounds like underneath the right side valve cover. Any suggestions?
Was a bad valve for me with the same symptoms. Pull the valve covers and have a close look at everything.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

what will it take to fix the noise?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds like a Bubba solution, but try pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil down the carb with the engine running. I used this stuff when I was a kid and recently tried it again on my tired SB after being reminded of its magical powers on the forum.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd check the exhaust for leaks. If all sealed nice and snug, check your engine oil level (obvious huh?)...*S. Then if all is good and you still have the tapping noise, you could have a tappet gone south. pull the offending valve cover and look for oil delivery.
Mike
Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 PM
406shark
Instructor

My brother-in-law drove his '79 Vette over this evening because it was making a similar sound. As soon as he pulled in the driveway I knew what the problem probably was.

I pulled his right valve cover off and his number 8 exhaust rocker was VERY loose. The rocker stud was tight, adjuster nut appeared to be tightened the same as the other ones. I pulled the rocker and pushrod and used a bore scope to check the lifter. It was not collapsed. When the engine was turned over you could see that the exhaust lifter didn't move anywhere near as much as the intake lifter did. I believe he has a flat lobe on his cam.

The car was left with me to pull apart and inspect for parts needed. I'm not looking forward to installing a new cam and lifters in someone elses car.

Good luck on your car...I hope for your sake, and your wallet that it's something simple.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I thought I had a valve or rocker problem too. Turned out to be a blown out header gasket. Check carefully for that.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:47 PM
406shark
Instructor

swtato...

Did you find out what your noise was?

I pulled my brother-in-laws apart and found the number 8 exhaust, number 1 & 5 intake lifters badly "cupped", pulled the cam and the lobes on those 3 lifters were wiped out.

His engine was built by a "professional" shop and was dynoed at 408hp at the flywheel. With less than 4000 miles on it over the course of 2 years you would think the cam/lifters would have lasted?

His engine is now waiting on parts that I ordered from Summit Racing today. Hopefully yours is something easier/cheaper to fix. Lucky for him I can do all the work and not charge him...well...not as much as a shop would charge.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 406shark
swtato...

Did you find out what your noise was?

Yeah, I checked the oil and it was low. I have only had the car since end of January and had the oil changed then. It has been on stands for about 4 weeks so I did not think that the miles I had put on it would use that much oil. It has a few small drips but obviously uses a bit to. So far I hope that was the problem. A rebuild is in the future one day. Thanks for asking!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM
406shark
Instructor

Yeah, I checked the oil and it was low. I have only had the car since end of January and had the oil changed then. It has been on stands for about 4 weeks so I did not think that the miles I had put on it would use that much oil. It has a few small drips but obviously uses a bit to. So far I hope that was the problem. A rebuild is in the future one day. Thanks for asking!

Good news...it will be alot cheaper to just add oil when it needs it.

Later,
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Noise

Quick Reply: Engine Noise