C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Vette, 1st problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 AM
jaycjackson21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vette, 1st problem!

Car has been running great for 3 weeks (a '75 L48) with little or no visible exhaust. This morning there was heavy gray exhaust pouring out of the pipes after I started her up (continued until I began driving 2-3 minutes later, not sure if it was still like that while I was driving to work). Not sure why something like this would happen all of a sudden - any input would be great! There were no changes in performance. Here are the only things I can think of:

1. Car was covered, but maybe some springtime pollen or other tree stuff is clogging something?

2. This is the first time the gas tank has been completely full - thought I read something somewhere on these forums about this being a problem with some C3's.

3. Just a side-effect of sitting for a few days?

No idea. Again, thanks for any help.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:27 AM
c3-4me
Instructor

Sounds like moisture to me. Was the gray cloud smoke-like or steam-like? Was there a lot of dew or humidity that morning? I would probably say it was just moisture burning off. If the cloud is more like smoke, then you could have other issues. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM
jaycjackson21
Instructor

I sure hope that's what it is - could certainly be. Looked a little thick and gray to be steam, but I'm an idiot, so who knows. I suppose we'll know whether that was the case when I head out to lunch this afternoon.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be just a little leak past the Valve Guide Seals . No big deal lets a little oil in the cylinders and it burns off as soon as it runs a little bit.

Get notified of new replies

To New Vette, 1st problem!

Quick Reply: New Vette, 1st problem!