C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

What are these parts called, what do they do and are they worth repairing? Who sells them new? Thanks!

Bry
Old 04-10-2005, 04:51 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 760 Likes on 529 Posts

Nose header bar for 68-72 (may be different for the variors years but definetly for chrome bumper cars). The thicker one is the headlight mounting bar.
I don't know if they are worth much but both can be bought new. I replaced my header bar a few years ago. Can't remember what I paid for it.

Last edited by theandies; 04-10-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thick one is the header bar, the other one the nose bar.

The nose bar is the front reinforcement of the front clip and the mounting pount for the front bumper, the bumper has steel inserts w/ studs that go through the holes. The nose bar is riveted to the front clip on the mating surface of the nose, you will see the extra holes for the rivets. The header bar is the mounting point for the ehadlights and some other stuff but also the reinforcement for the proper shape of the front clip and it ties into the support structure in the wheel well (the one that supprots the rad & the hood gines and those triangular supports in the corners)

Zip, Ecklers...most have them new. Prices will probably vary.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Thanks. I'm actually converting to an 80-82' front end (I have a '77). Are they different?

Bry
Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Are you getting the retrofit 80-82 bumper or a real one? The bumper from an 80-82 will not work on an earlier front clip as the earlier bumper is only the "bumper" section itself, the 80-82 one is also part of the front quarter panels (where the sidemarkers are installed). I personally don't like the retrofit ones, even though they resemble the 80-82 bumper the sides are sloped inward on the sides and IMO it looks silly, like sticking a big set of fish lips on the front. If I were to do it I'd get a real 80-82 bumper and a set of front quarters and mold those in.

If you are swapping the entire front clip, the header bars are about the same, the only difference I can think of is the mount for the 80-82 vac. reservoir but I think they're the same.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Ok that was dumb because I looked it up and they're sold as 68-82 for the header bars and 75-82 for the nose so that answers my question. Worth replacing? My header bar is pretty rotted and is scuffed up. Do you think this will affect headlight alignment? Thanks

Bry
Old 04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I would replace both, cheap insurance and you won't have any problems w/ nut plates coming off. I installed new ones also and the factory paint was...well...less than satisfactory. I repainted both with some epoxy paint to protect them against rust, when installing just use some epoxy adhesive on the bonding surfaces, rough up the glass, remove the paint from the header bar and roughen up the metal. It works best when you use some micro balloons in your epoxy adhesive to thicken it to a sort of peanut butter like consistency, that way it will not run and you can lay down a nice bead, clamp the whole deal down and not worry about it for decades to come.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Well I dont plan on reinstalling the bumpers and I plan to take an actual 80-82 front end and make it work. I haven't checked into it (although I should as the tiem is drawing near) but Ive been set on it because a contact I met did that to his 77. Also I'm converting to electric assist headlights.

Bry
Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

el. headlights are nice, what are you going to use? the killer lights? It's too bad we never got an update from the guy using the spal linear actuators, I liked that much better than the killer lights setup, that thing..even though it works very good, remoinds me of a locomotive piston/wheel assembly
Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Ahh You're too fast for my internet connection

Thanks for the recommendation. I can get it sandblasted and epoxyed through my neighbor, or would that not get it gritty enough?
Bry
Old 04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Bryan8412_2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
el. headlights are nice, what are you going to use? the killer lights? It's too bad we never got an update from the guy using the spal linear actuators, I liked that much better than the killer lights setup, that thing..even though it works very good, remoinds me of a locomotive piston/wheel assembly
Hahaha yeah I'm using the killer lights. I got the actuators pretty cheap from gmpartsdirect along with the other parts needed. Hopefully it works pretty nice. So you think the 80-82 front end conversion will work? If its not easy I'll have to make it work because I love the look so much better (also converting the rear section to 80 as well). How is your project going? I love keeping up with it, its going to be a monster

Bry

Get notified of new replies

To What is this?

Quick Reply: What is this?