C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet / Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:50 AM
mox 77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet / Seat Belts

My install of new interior is finally coming together. Despite trying to note how the old materials were installed...I am now stumped. How does the lower seat belt pass through the new carpeting? I cannot remember. I would hate to just cut a hole. There is a rolled edge on the (plastic?) seat belt cover in the floor but I do not know how to mate with the carpet.
Does any of this make sense?
A photo or any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did was make a slice from the back of the carpet up to seat belt location in the floor.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
mox 77
Instructor

Paul:
Thanks for the input. Cutting from the back of the carpet is a good idea and probably would not be as visible as cutting from the side near the sill plate.
Bill
Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The seat belt comes out the side by the sill. You place the plastic cover over the seat belt retractor and there is a metal bracket that bolts to the sill. The seat belt passes through this wire bracket. The new carpet then lays over the plastic cover the passes right next to the sill plate through a missing piece of carpet, the rest of the edge is attached to the side of the sill. The actual sill plate just fits over the edge of the carpet. NO need to cut the carpet for the seat belt.
I just did my new carpet a month ago and it easily passed between the edge of the carpet and the sill plate.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
The new carpet then lays over the plastic cover .
Interesting Norval. I have recarpeted two original cars (72 & 77) and both retractor covers were OVER the carpet. I wonder if original installation was different at some point.
Eddie
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
mox 77
Instructor

That's it!! The cover was over the carpet. Concerning the metal brackets / guides...my car does not have them, and looks as if they were never installed. Checked the AIM and it certainly shows the devices.
Thanks, again
Bill
Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvr77
Interesting Norval. I have recarpeted two original cars (72 & 77) and both retractor covers were OVER the carpet. I wonder if original installation was different at some point.
Eddie
There was a post on this earilier in the year , someone asking about cutting the carpet to install the covers overtop of the carpet. My car was bought new, never had the original interior out and it had the carpet over the covers and most agreed this is how it was done.
You can do it any way you want but the appearance to me is better if the covers are hidden under the capet.
I installed new carpets a month or two ago and it worked out , no cutting of the carpet required and put the covers under the carpet, the side brackets on the sill and the belt fit between the new carpet and the sill plate.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet / Seat Belts

Quick Reply: Carpet / Seat Belts