C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped threads on rear spindle

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:23 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stripped threads on rear spindle

What would happen if you had a couple stripped threads on the rear spindle so that the castle nut won't completely tighten? What is involved with replacing the rear spindle? No, I don't have any of the special tools, and No, Im not going to buy them. Can it be done by the more than apt do it yourselfer? Can it be done without those special pullers and presses? Hell the front spindle don't need special tools, so why does the rear?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, Why not just use a die to clean up the goobered threads? That way nothing needs to be taken apart except for the flange. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Now THERE is a thought. I'll look into this route. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:09 AM
FLEXUSMARK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that it is not a standard thread size. So it will be a special die. After recently measuring my spindles I came up with a 3/4-20 thread.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:18 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

You might get by using a thread file if the threads aren't rolled.Check the nut too to see if that's the problem area.
Replacing the spindle requires setting up new bearings as the old ones will be destroyed in the process. Follow the recent posts on rebuilding rear bearings.
Gary
Old 03-29-2005, 09:00 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Went to a mom/pop parts store, found a replacement castlenut and ordered a new die to match as I didn't have that size. Supposed to be in this afternoon While I was there I picked up a little jar filled with cotter pins for good measure. Hope it does the trick :fingers crossed:
Old 03-29-2005, 09:28 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One suggestion that may also help. If the threads are good towards the end of the spindle, try to use them by using a washer(s) in front of them. There should be a several threads that originaly stuck out. Use enough washers so the nut is at the end of the spindle. I believe the nut being an 1/8" or 1/4" further out will not interfere with the flange. The castlenut is torque to 100 ft/lbs.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Hi, Why not just use a die to clean up the goobered threads? That way nothing needs to be taken apart except for the flange. Peace,,,Moosie
If the threads a stripped there is also a good chance there is no material left to clean up. By stripping the raised part of any thread is pulled out, gone. What is there to clean up??? It requires a special die, I believe 3/4 x 20 and a holder, a special holder to get in there.
Since the axle is already destroyed it can be beaten out with a hammer but to set up the new bearings and spacer requires some tools and the knowledge of how to do it. For someone with experience it is simple but not for the novice.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
If the threads a stripped there is also a good chance there is no material left to clean up. By stripping the raised part of any thread is pulled out, gone. What is there to clean up??? It requires a special die, I believe 3/4 x 20 and a holder, a special holder to get in there.
Since the axle is already destroyed it can be beaten out with a hammer but to set up the new bearings and spacer requires some tools and the knowledge of how to do it. For someone with experience it is simple but not for the novice.
Precisely what I was thinking.

However, can this be heli-coiled ... or threaded to a smaller (maybe metric) size ?

Old 03-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

there are numerous bubba fixes that will get it back on the road, but for how long?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
there are numerous bubba fixes that will get it back on the road, but for how long?
Just long enough to get him to a car show this weekend. Thats all he wants to do.

you guys are harsh.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
Hi,,Just offering a suggestion, no need to get yer giddy-up Peace,,, Moosie
Old 03-29-2005, 11:56 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ruby76
No, I don't have any of the special tools, and No, Im not going to buy them.

Sure you have the correct tool...it`s called a "checkbook"
...redvetracr
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Hi,,Just offering a suggestion, no need to get yer giddy-up Peace,,, Moosie
Sorry guy. Guess I should read everyone elses reply before I answer. I often just read the question and skip to my anwser without checking what ever anyone else said first.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ruby76
What would happen if you had a couple stripped threads on the rear spindle so that the castle nut won't completely tighten? What is involved with replacing the rear spindle? No, I don't have any of the special tools, and No, Im not going to buy them. Can it be done by the more than apt do it yourselfer? Can it be done without those special pullers and presses? Hell the front spindle don't need special tools, so why does the rear?
if only 2 are bad on the spindle, and the nut wont tighten, u need a new grade 8 nut. go easy on the torque 60%
Old 03-29-2005, 07:13 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i think there are two ways to approach this... one is to use another nut to help push it done while tighttening it... this way you have double hte threads to help pull...or u could build up with a washer or two if you don't have enough room to put a secong castle nut on.........if u use two castle nuts, make sure once they are tight against the bearing that u tight the outer nut to jamnut the other..

b
Old 03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Default re-threaded

I re-threaded the spindle last night, and installed my new castlenut, and a new cotter pin, went for a 10 mile test ride. Came back to the garage and jacked it up, checked for play. Still nice and tight. So out again for another 10 mile test ride, this time a little more aggressive. I had a little bit of a ticking noise. I got home and noticed the trim ring on one of the ralley's was loose and the cause of the noise. Jacked it up again and checked it out, still nice and tight.

The outer U-joint on this side is greasable, when teh suspension hangs, the little boss were the zert screws into hits the end of the spindle slightly. Guess this could be a cause of that slight ticking sound, but it looks like it doesn't touch when the weight of the car is on the suspension. Looks like the U=joint should have been installed with the zert on the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To stripped threads on rear spindle

Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Cool,

I'm glad you can make your car show now. Good job on the temp repair.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So, a new nut did it ? ... and it torqued to 100 ft-lbs ?
Or did you install this temporarily without full torque ?
Even so, it should be fine for the short-term.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:53 PM
ruby76
Drifting

I rethreaded the spindle and got a new nut. And no, it isn't torqued to a full 100lbs, I pulled pretty hard on it, but didn't "hang" on it. I didn't use my torque wrench but i figure i got a good 70-80 lbs or so. I was afraid I'd strip the threads I just cleaned up. I am ordering a new spindle, this was just for temp. (the show was in the works for a year)

Quick Reply: stripped threads on rear spindle