C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am so darn frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Kara
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am so darn frustrated

I have had my 76 vette on ebay twice. Each time someone bought it. Well the first time, the guy was like, oh I cant afford it. Well this next time the COP comes, he is hte one who bought it this round. He had his flashlight and I MEAN HE PICKED the car APART. for 6K what do you expect, it is not PERFECT. He tried to get the car for nothing. He was like you have my number if you want to go lower for the car. I was like NO. I am so upset. He insulted me and my car so bad. I felt 2 inches tall. I am so sick of dealing with people. I mean he literally expected a 100 percent restored perfect car for 6 thousand dollars!! I am so upset right now
BTW this car is a number matching original car! Runs great! Had rear end problems. He didnt like the paintjob I had on the car! He said it looked crappy. Man he was a monster
Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

forget about them....i have sold lots of cars....it takes a tough hide sometimes .....they are just trying to get the best deal and don't care how they get it....Once i had one couple come and beat the snot out of my car and did not make an offer...two years later they came back to look at another one of my cars and they didn't realize i recognized them...when they asked to test drive it i said no that i remembered who they were and if they wanted to make an offer they could...they sheepishly walked away...Hang tough.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 320 Likes on 271 Posts

Sorry you had such a bad experience selling the car. EBay seems to be a good way to get a lot of exposure but a tough way to sell. You hear a lot of stories like yours. If you read the qualifiers and riders at the bottom of most auctions, you get the impresion that lots of folks have the same thing happen.

You could file with EBay for non paying bidder so at least you won't have to pay their charges.

Don't let the jacka$$ get to you.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

this one should be good for about 10 pages.

you wanna show us the e-bay link so we can give you an opinion on whether the car was over represented?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like you had better just sit on it... That cop shoulda been kicked in the ding ding!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Sarge81
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you give a lousy feedback. Call 'em a deadbeat bidder.

BTW, how's Sheppard AFB doing? I miss going to get the beef jerky out off of Seymore Hwy.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge81
Make sure you give a lousy feedback. Call 'em a deadbeat bidder.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

That cop should have inspected the car before the auction, he bought it, it is too bad for him if he is that stupid. Have someone with you for backup next time some an idiot comes to look at it
Old 03-19-2005, 11:00 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
That cop should have inspected the car before the auction, he bought it, it is too bad for him if he is that stupid. Have someone with you for backup next time some an idiot comes to look at it
Typical of those who do not know what they are buying,or want something for nothing. Next time,tell them the price just went up.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Dont take it personal, he wanted to buy the car right? Im in sales and I laugh every time someone points out how bad something is, but yet they still want it. I call them cheap bastards. You should have said to him...... Here is my number, when you can find the cash,... call otherwise stop wasting my time.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:22 PM
bkerlee
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

I saw the car on e-bay. It wasn't misrepresented...but I've heard E-Bay is a brutal way to try to sell a car. It doesn't matter that a bid is supposed to be binding - people just feel like they can do what they want, regardless of how rude it is to the seller...

Hang tough - it'll sell.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:36 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by rihwoods
..... Next time,tell them the price just went up.
i did once... i was selling a house and i got a low ball offer like 20% less then i was asking...i was steammed....their real estate person asked me if i wanted to make a counter offer i said sure and added 20% to my asking price! and walked out. after that my real estate person didn't bring me any more low ball offers....
Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i did once... i was selling a house and i got a low ball offer like 20% less then i was asking...i was steammed....their real estate person asked me if i wanted to make a counter offer i said sure and added 20% to my asking price! and walked out. after that my real estate person didn't bring me any more low ball offers....

I did the same thing! House was $225k, they offered $190k! I counter-offered @ $235k. They got the message and forked over the $225k.

People are going to play hard-ball when trying to get a good deal. You just gotta play 'em right back.

Now, on the other hand...I'm trying to find a good deal on a Viper. I've been beating up the sellers with low-ball offers. They've all been dealer's, however...I don't feel so bad for them.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Last edited by 74FLCONV; 03-20-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:43 AM
feb18blacksunday
Race Director

Location: Boone NC home of 3peat National Champs ASU Mountaineers
St. Jude Contributor

have you tried selling it here on the forum?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 AM
achalfin
Intermediate

I bought my vette from an ad on www.cctol.com (collector car trader online). This is a classified service ($20 until sold I believe).

I also looked at a few (before settling one the one I saw on cctol.com) from www.usedcorvettesforsale.com (also $20 until sold).

I seem to recall the seller posted on usedcorvettesforsale.com and craigslist and didn't get much of a response, but got tons from cctol....

That was before I knew of corvetteforum.com of course....

(a friend bought a car through ebay, and while he got what he wanted, it came at a pretty large hastle, what seemed above any beyond classified ad hastle, so I decided to skip ebay, for better for worse, during my search).

Alex
Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 808 Posts

Include something like this in the auction listing -

"Car is available for inspection at any time before the auction ends. After the auction is over, the winning bidder will wire transfer a $300 non-refundable deposit within 4 days from the end of auction or the car will be offered to the next highest bidder. This is to discourage deadbeat bidders and to offset the cost of the extra Ebay fees they cause sellers to incur. I want this to be a good transaction for both of us. If you personaly inspect the car but decide you do not want to purchase it, you are not obligated to buy it but you will forfeit your deposit".

If the "buyer" realy is a buyer, they will do it. Just a little something to keep the low ballers away.

-Mark.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:40 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

[QUOTE=74FLCONV.

Now, on the other hand...I'm trying to find a good deal on a Viper. I've been beating up the sellers with low-ball offers. They've all been dealer's, however...I don't feel so bad for them.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA[/QUOTE]

low ball offers are ok....it can be done with out ripping apart the vehicle...just inspect the vehicle and make an offer....all you have to say is thhis is the offer i would like to make.

Get notified of new replies

To I am so darn frustrated

Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Brad9338
5th Gear

I remember when I bought mine, I looked at 20 cars, it wasnt a problem looking at cars under 8,000 they were represented as advertised. But the one that killed me was driving 300 miles to look at a 1981 with a new paint job for 11,500. Turned out o be a Earl shives paint job. It was so nasty I just had to say something to the guy about ruining a buetiful ride for 800 dollars. Im sure your car is worth the money. Most people do want something for nothing, and usually are not Mechanically inclined just cruiser types. Just hang in there everyday its worth more and more, and they will pay the price or drive a toyota the rest of there lives.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car off e-bay. $5500.00. The seller was very nice. It was in Fla. and we live in Md. There were no bids on the car until the final minute of the 7 day auctuon, mine. That made me a little nervous about the car. I contacted the owner prior to the auctions end. He sent us picks of all the problem areas and told us what had and had not been replaced. Which wasn't very much btw. When we recieved the car, it was just as described. No suprises. Since than it has undergone quite a fer changes and overhauls. There is still much to be done. I got lucky with an honest seller. I feel we paid a decent price for the car considering what was, and still is needed. just be patient, it will work out for you.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:55 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Well at least u didn't get ripped off.

Yes, u should have shown him the door ASAP. The dealing was done on ebay. The faster a salesman talks the faster i try to get away. Sounds like u could have used back-up.
Well laugh it off and enjoy giving him a nice write up on ebay. Make some adjustments to ur sales description and where-else needed. I c u have more corvettes to sell someday and now when u want to sell ur favorite for big $$$ u know better.
$6k is 'bout as low as a running C3 can be found. I think u can still donate to charity and save more than $6k on taxes with that car even though the donation laws have somewhat changed - check it out. Hope u feel better and i think that '76 would make a nice project car for a C3 enthusiest that can get in the game for only $6k. cardo0

Quick Reply: I am so darn frustrated