C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I cooked my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the heads warped or cracked? I dont see how it would be very expensive to replace the head gaskets. It isnt complicated, and the engine doesnt need to get yanked out or anything.... Seems foolish to get a completely rebuilt motor if your old one is ok.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

I have overheated the vette once, but my old firebrid overheated ALL the time.

Anyway just 1 thing i'm wondering. You didn't SMELL it? Everytime It came close to 270 degrees all I smelled was coolant
Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

To give you an idea how hot it was, the engine seized itself and stopped running because it was so hot. Look at your temperature guages and now imagine your needle being pegged all the way to the right. It didn't cool back in to the red mark (after being stopped) for almost a half hour. If it were night time it would have probably been glowing. The oil is pretty much barbeque.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvus
Anyway just 1 thing i'm wondering. You didn't SMELL it? Everytime It came close to 270 degrees all I smelled was coolant

Antifreeze stinks! And weren't there any plumes of white smoke behind the car?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I didn't see any smoke until I pulled over, which is wierd. I didn't exactly look in the rear view mirror at the time, either.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have someone else look at the engine. Small blocks are pretty tough.

My thermostat got stuck and my temp guage pegged all the way to the right, car overheated and spewed fluid from all over. Car would not turn over because I thought the engine was seized. Had it towed and the next day replaced the thermostat, changed the oil and drove it home. That was 2 years ago and it is still running fine.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small blocks are tough. I blew out a radiator hose at the race track - at the end of the 1/4 mile track. The top radiator hose blew out, spewed radiator fluid and smoke all over the drivers side. I made it past the time slip booth, reattached the radiator hose and tightened down the clamp. Filled up water from the bathroom tap, and ran down for another quarter mile pass.

Quick Reply: I think I cooked my engine