C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats eating my Roller Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
ferndog4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats eating my Roller Rockers?

I am uncertain if its a bad valve adjustment or something else? After I found the first one (i heard an internal squeek) I replaced all the pushrods (same length) and the damaged rocker. The other day I heard a minor squeek and found another damaged rocker and have since replaced it. Am I setting my rockers too loose? I have a solid cam and was told adj .24 int and .28 exh. was spec. by original engine builder. Should I be going a little tighter?

I just installed a MSD unit with a rev limiter. Perhaps I over rev the poor bastard with my new 4 speed? Other than that car runs great!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the cam mfg said those are the specs, then not much you can do...also check the rockers....there is a machined recess in the fulcrum, the machined recess is on top, thats for the adjusting nut to sit....it may be possible you installed the fulcrum upside down
Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GDaina
if the cam mfg said those are the specs, then not much you can do...also check the rockers....there is a machined recess in the fulcrum, the machined recess is on top, thats for the adjusting nut to sit....it may be possible you installed the fulcrum upside down
100% UNLESS YOU ARE ADJUSTING THE VALVES WRONG
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 PM
ferndog4
Instructor

...it may be possible you installed the fulcrum upside down
I am aware... however they were installed right side up. Wouldnt missadjusted valves make the engine run bad? I have plenty of power and responce.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ferndog4
I am uncertain if its a bad valve adjustment or something else? After I found the first one (i heard an internal squeek) I replaced all the pushrods (same length) and the damaged rocker. The other day I heard a minor squeek and found another damaged rocker and have since replaced it. Am I setting my rockers too loose? I have a solid cam and was told adj .24 int and .28 exh. was spec. by original engine builder. Should I be going a little tighter?
Hopefully, you meant 0.024" and 0.028"! Is your builder's recommendation "hot" or "cold" and are you running aluminum heads? Aluminum heads "grow" when hot and can open up your lash up to 0.007". . .

But it appears that your adjustment nuts are coming loose. The set screw and the retaining nut need to be turned together that last 1/4 turn to "lock" the lash setting.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Fbody, your right .028 and .024 are the correct settings. That was what I am using on the feeler guages I just miss typed. Anyways, Aluminum Heads, I wish. I am using good ol fashion hogged out Cast Iron "492's." I will take your advice and re-lock all the nuts to make sure none come loose.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:13 AM
i885744
Pro

I can't see very well from the pictures. Are those self aligning rockers or do you have guideplates?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:30 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Originally Posted by i885744
I can't see very well from the pictures. Are those self aligning rockers or do you have guideplates?
They are Harland Sharps 1.5 not self aligned type. I am using aftermarket guide plates.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:29 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like the rocker is moving all over the place probably because they are too loose. Get the part number for the cam and look up the manufacturers lash setting. Also are you setting the lash hot or cold ?
Also check that your method of adjusting the valves is correct
Old 02-23-2005, 09:03 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me thinks, as someone mentioned above, the set screws are not tightened, and the polylocks are loosening. I assume that longer rocker arm studs are used.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Me thinks, as someone mentioned above, the set screws are not tightened, and the polylocks are loosening. I assume that longer rocker arm studs are used.
How are you tightening the nuts/set screws? It is important that you do it the right way. Check the rocker studs to see if they are torqued down tight. The guideplates could be moving around causing that damage.

-Mark.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack the thread...but isn't your distributor a notch out of whack???

BTW: Solid cams are a PITA!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by ferndog4

From this picture it looks like your pushrods are too short, I do not think the stud and nuts should not be that close to the valve side of rockers, they should closer to the center. Longer pushrods will raise the rocker away from the valve spring and retainer a little. I also found that I had a problems getting enough torq on the set screws and few loosened up, I now tighten the set screw then torq the nut a little more to make sure it holds, might be a little harder for you since you have to get to a close tolerance compared to hyd lifters like I use.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:27 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

[QUOTE=page62]Not to hijack the thread...but isn't your distributor a notch out of whack???

I suppose its off a tooth but timming this thing was a pain. I really dont want to have to go through that again for some time. Any timming shortcuts to straighten it out?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Looks like the rocker is moving all over the place probably because they are too loose. Get the part number for the cam and look up the manufacturers lash setting. Also are you setting the lash hot or cold ?
Also check that your method of adjusting the valves is correct
Motorhead your right, I will try to obtain a part number for the cam.

I set the lash warm. From what I read to set the hot lash you need to do that minutes after the engine shuts down. Its too damn hot in their! Even whith Mechanix gloves. Maybe I will pay someone to burn their hands, not me. Do you think the pushrods are too short? The roller hits the center of the valve like its suppose too. I think i might just need to set the locks?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Is there any damage to the inside oval of the rockers? Is there any sign of the rockers hitting the guide plates? Also the rocker roller should be closer to the outside edge so when the rocker moves the roller will move from the outside edge to inside edge. Check to see when they are on the ones that are at full lift.

Dumb question but your setting the lash when the lifters are seated on the base circle of the cam?

Keep at you will find the problem.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the balancer and the #1 cylinder are at TDC, the rotor should point towards the #1 cylinder. You may have to pull the distributor and use a long screwdriver to turn the oil pump slot about 1/8 turn clockwise. The drop the distributor back in, but with the rotor moved over a notch clockwise as you go in.

For the rest of the procedure, download a copy of Lars timing paper at www.corvettefaq.com

Get notified of new replies

To Whats eating my Roller Rockers?

Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

IF you set it warm it should be close enough if the specs are correct. To check the valve train geometry ( to see if you have the correct pushrods)
rotate the motor by hand and watch the travel of one of the rollers over the tip of the valve, it should start at one side travel and travel about the same distance on the other, if it doesn't do this your pushrods are too long or too short.

Another thing to check is the pushhrod hitting anything, usually the head below the guide plates. Check a pushrod it should have about a .3in rubbed spot where it goes thru the guide plate and should not have any other worn spots on it. Also check the alignment of the guide plates make sure they are not unessarily deflecting the rocker one way or the other if they do they need to be adjusted.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The valve lash is only a starting point. You can tighten it up .010 without a problem. This is from Comp Cam. If you want less noise and more duration set them at .018 or even a little tighter.
I set mine cold and a little tighter then specs and never had a problem.
It looks like the rocker is comming loose and allowing the push rod to walk all over the place.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotorHead
IF you set it warm it should be close enough if the specs are correct. To check the valve train geometry ( to see if you have the correct pushrods)
rotate the motor by hand and watch the travel of one of the rollers over the tip of the valve, it should start at one side travel and travel about the same distance on the other, if it doesn't do this your pushrods are too long or too short.

Another thing to check is the pushhrod hitting anything, usually the head below the guide plates. Check a pushrod it should have about a .3in rubbed spot where it goes thru the guide plate and should not have any other worn spots on it. Also check the alignment of the guide plates make sure they are not unessarily deflecting the rocker one way or the other if they do they need to be adjusted.
When I turn the crank for movement of the valves should I pull all the spark plugs out?

Quick Reply: Whats eating my Roller Rockers?