C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the stock Hydramatic 350 take 400 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM
steves_77vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the stock Hydramatic 350 take 400 hp?

I know the safe thing to do would be to move up to something like the 700r4 but that would blow my budget out of the water. So, can the stock tranny take this kind of power? What should I do in rebuilding it to make sure I don't have a "weak link" in there that will melt the tranny if I decide to lay down some rubber?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
mean8t
Racer

A 700r4 is pretty similar inside to a THM 350, as far as the amount of power they can handle. Do you have to rebuild it now, ie is it bad? If so put in a performance rebuild kit from TCI or whoever with more clutches, etc. Also and most importantly just put a really good external tranny cooler on and go to town. On the other hand if it is not bad then roll with it and the tranny cooler and save your money for a 700r4.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:01 PM
audiec
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just like any other part of the car, if you service and take care of it, it will work fine...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:50 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

A 700R4 shouldn't take any more power than the TH350. And the TH350 should be fine behind 400 hp, I know mine is so far!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
American Boy
Pro

Originally Posted by steves_77vette
I know the safe thing to do would be to move up to something like the 700r4 but that would blow my budget out of the water. So, can the stock tranny take this kind of power? What should I do in rebuilding it to make sure I don't have a "weak link" in there that will melt the tranny if I decide to lay down some rubber?
When I installed my 350 of 380hp in the car, I had a TH-350. That transmission had run around 15000 miles since the rebuilt. In good shape. I ran it with no modification for a year, 8000 miles but didn't go to the track. The shifts were not firm anymore and slipped. The second year, I installed a shiftkit and it was a lot better. And then I got to the track a couple of times and the third time after 7 runs with burn-outs, the transmission burned the 3rd gear and 2nd gear. I had to get home in first gear (around 15 miles).

With all that said, install a shiftkit (B&M or others) and hope for the best. You should be OK for a while.

Stephan
Old 02-17-2005, 10:20 PM
steves_77vette
Racer

Thanks for the tips. I've got the Ron Sessions book on rebuilding and maintaing the THM 350. Good book by the way but man, there's a lot more info in there than I bargained for! The tranny was doing just fine before I started the frame off. I'm going through everything with a fine tooth comb now that it's easily accessible. The last thing I want is to do is get the drive train together and melt it the first time I decide to stretch it's legs.

Since this is all new to me, could you all be kind to provide some links to products you have referred to?

Get notified of new replies

To Can the stock Hydramatic 350 take 400 hp?

Quick Reply: Can the stock Hydramatic 350 take 400 hp?