C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Firing order when distributor is 180* out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Firing order when distributor is 180* out?

When I was cleaning my engine I noticed my spark plugs wires were all in the wrong places. As in they were hooked up to one number on the distributor and plug into the wrong cylinder. So I decided to put them in the correct places and now it wont start!?!? I guess when I got my car tuned the guy did some funky stuff without telling me and now I dont know what to do. My dad isnt home to help me sort it out cause he is out with the mom, so I am turning to the forum. The distributor is in correctly and the number one on the distributor is facing forward in the right position. I need to figure this out tonight cause I have school in the mornning. HELP!

Edit: I think I remember that the number 7 spot on the distributor was hooked up to the number 2 cylinder if that helps any.

Last edited by CrossedFlags77; 02-14-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Firing Order

1974 - 82 HEI systems

1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

Rotation Direction Clockwise

ref: Chiltons

Hope this helps

If you have a Chiltons book Chapt 3 Page 3-17 at least in mine...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the distributor was installed incorrectly and they moved the wires over to compensate. Simple fix is to put the wires back where they were. Correct fix is to reinstall the distributor correctly.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

I would put them back where they were but I dont know where they were. I guess I should have written it down before I took them off.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:49 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
I would put them back where they were but I dont know where they were. I guess I should have written it down before I took them off.
Uhhhh.....yeah...but if you really can't remember....

Now's a good time to fix it....correctly.....

If not, enjoy the bus ride

I did the same stuff when I was young....

BTW, if you try to fix this you'll need a timing light, etc.

Good Luck !
Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PortDawg
1974 - 82 HEI systems

1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

Rotation Direction Clockwise

ref: Chiltons

Hope this helps

If you have a Chiltons book Chapt 3 Page 3-17 at least in mine...
Actually that firing order began w/the 1955 chevy 265 V-8
Old 02-14-2005, 08:59 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

No not the bus. There has to be a logical way to figure this out but my logic isnt working right now.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:00 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Actually that firing order began w/the 1955 chevy 265 V-8
Well thanks...I didn't know that bit of historical info... Just took the quote out of the book....as written...

Haven't had a 55 chevy.... Maybe..... someday...

P.S. 77 - Don't panic...take your time and do it right...
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05
Default By the Way-

Let us know how if you get it running....

Again...good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Ok so I have drawn myself some diagrams to fire and figure this out. The way I see it is the firing order is sort of reversed. I remembered that the number 7 on the dist. went to the number 2 cylinder, which are far diagonals from eachother on the motor. So instead of the number 2 cylinder firing last now it is firing 2nd to the last. So I figured since it was reversed then the number 7 cylinder would fire the last. Therefore the number 8 cylinder would fire first, number 1 second and so on. Confused yet? This makes sense to me in my head and I have included the diagrams I used, crude but they helped me if this actually works. Someone go over my idea to make sure I am not going totally crazy. I dont have time to pull the distributor tonight.

Correct firing order

Revised firing order?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Ok so I have drawn myself some diagrams to fire and figure this out. The way I see it is the firing order is sort of reversed. I remembered that the number 7 on the dist. went to the number 2 cylinder, which are far diagonals from eachother on the motor. So instead of the number 2 cylinder firing last now it is firing 2nd to the last. So I figured since it was reversed then the number 7 cylinder would fire the last. Therefore the number 8 cylinder would fire first, number 1 second and so on. Confused yet? This makes sense to me in my head and I have included the diagrams I used, crude but they helped me if this actually works. Someone go over my idea to make sure I am not going totally crazy. I dont have time to pull the distributor tonight.

Correct firing order

Revised firing order?
If you're not 100% SURE, & you don't want to re-install the distributor, pull the cap...line up the marks on the balancer to 0 deg. (TDC) on the compression stroke (finger on the #1 spark plug hole, feel the air pressure when turning the engine)....see the rotor , use THAT point as your #1, & follow the correct sequence order.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:55 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Well I tried my ''revised'' order, and it ran like crap. SO that must not be the way it was. I also retried putting the wires how they are suppose to be run. Won't even fire. Looks like I will pull the cap and find the compression stroke of #1. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Ok I just did the compression stroke test and the distributor is pointing at number 1 on the compression stroke of number 1. So it looks like everything is in order. I am greatly confused.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello,
You cannot reverse the ignition order like you have in your drawing. The timing sequence will only work in one direction. What you can do is move the spark plug wire location by one post. That is, put the #1 wire in the #2 post and continue. You will rotate all wires counter clockwise by one post, and still retain the correct firing order. But the DISTRIBUTOR cap reference will change. The order of 8-4-3-6-5-7-2-1 will be how it looks on the cap. Only the reference position of the rotor to the plug wire will change, not the firing order.

If that does not work, try to move them by 1 oringinal unit clockwise. So the distributor cap will look like 2-1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. This also keeps the firing order the same, only the reference position to the distributor is different.

Paul67 gave me this advice when I was having problems with my 73 due to the mechanical tach drive cable bending at a 90 degree angle. He sent me a Chevrolet Service Bulletin that showed an alternate distributor position to relax the cable stress. The service bulletin explained that after moving the distributor to the new position, all the spark plug wires needed to be moved one post clockwise so that the #2 wire was in the #1 position.

Try that method, it is not as far fetched as it sounds, especially when Chevy posted a bulletin on it for mechanical tach drive distributors.

kdf
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok I just did the compression stroke test and the distributor is pointing at number 1 on the compression stroke of number 1. So it looks like everything is in order. I am greatly confused.

You are going to be confused until you bite the bullet and install the distributor correctly. You will need to locate #1 cylinder on the compression stroke as previously described. You need to line up the "0" on the timing tab with the mark on the balancer. This is Top Dead Center (TDC). From there, follow the spark plug numbering in a clockwise direction. Before starting, rotate the distributor a half inck=h or so to counterclockwise to get some advance. That should be close enough for it to start. Then the timing needs to be set with a light.

You need to get a manual such as the factory manual , or Chiltons, which is basically a reprint, and follow the directions for distributor installation with a "disturbed engine". That basically means that you are starting completely from scratch.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM
i885744
Pro

The firing order is exactly as you show in your top drawing. Take your distributor out and rotate the crank by hand until #1 is at top dead center, use your balancer and get it right on. You want to line the distributor's rotor up exactly like you have it in the drawing with the rotor more or less pointing at cylinder #7 with the distributor all the way seated in its hole. If the distributor won't slide into place at that location its because of your oil pump, take the longest flat head screwdriver you've got and stick it down the hole and turn the oil pump clockwise a bit and try the distributor again. Ok, now put on your holddown clamp, make it pretty tight so that you can still turn the dist. but it won't flop around. Put your distributor cap back on and start running the wires one by one. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 The motor should fire right up, but might be running a little rough, of course your'e going to have to time it. I usually set mine to 36degrees @ 2500rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected. If you don't have a degreed balancer or a degree light you can set it to about 8 degrees btdc at idle with the vacuum disconnected. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

KDF WINS THE GENIUS OF THE NIGHT AWARD!

Yes it worked. Once I started putting on the plug wires the way you said to it hit me that this was the way it was originally before I took them off. Thank you so much kdf, this is why I love the forum. Thanks again.

Edit: So since this is not how the distributor is intended to be hooked up to the plugs what must be done to right this problem?

Ryan

Last edited by CrossedFlags77; 02-14-2005 at 10:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP! Firing order when distributor is 180* out?

Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

It is possible to have the balancer mark at 0 and still be 180-degrees out! Make sure that not only does the mark line up to zero but both rocker arms on #1 cylinder are loose, that is TDC for #1 on the firing stroke.

Edit: Too late, it's running. Note for the future though.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Bob in Dallas
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Your problem is easy. The plug wires are one position off. #7 and #2 are adjacent on the cap. Plug #2 wire into the into #7 cap position and go forward (clockwise) from #7 position putting each wire in the firing order one position back on the cap.

# 2 wire to #7 position
#1 wire to #2 position
#8 wire to #1 position
#4 wire to #8 position
#3 wire to # 4 position
#5 wire to #3 position
#6 wire to #5 position
#7 wire to #6 position

This puts it back where it was. After you get it running again, you can then carefully find #1 TDC and put the distributor in the correct position by pulling it up and installing where #1 is in the correct position on the cap. Then wire from the normal firing diagram

Good Luck

Last edited by Bob in Dallas; 02-14-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Thank you to everyone that posted and helped me out. It is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Firing order when distributor is 180* out?