C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body twisting when car is on jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:51 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine up like this for several month, and have no issues
with the tops, doors, or TRUNK opening or closing

Old 02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You probably have a nice solid frame.
But, what about that neon-looking stop sign that appears
to be stolen city property ???
J/K - I have the same sign in my garage. Conveniently, I forgot where it came from.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
rick1500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
Interesting.
My 69 barely flexes at all. I've put it on jackstands and one is not touching due to a not flat garage floor. a 1/4" thick piece of plywood is too thick as it just makes another jackstand not touch. I have to be within about 1/8" too get all four jackstands supporting weight.

I wonder if it's because 69's have solid body mounts?
Same with my 70 coupe. One of my jackstands is loose since the garage floor isn't completely flat (I'm assuming). Doors & hood open and close same as when it's on the ground. Hmmm...
Old 02-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I really think the verts just have less structural strength and there is a bit of give in the frame body. My frame is solid (I cleaned and painted about every inch of it) the birdcage has no rust but I still have some flex when I've had it on just four jackstands. In my sig pic you can see about where the 3rd set of jackstands are. I just happened to be in Auto Zone the day before taking my car off the road and the SUV jackstands were on sale.. You will need them to support the front frame where I mentioned or some cribbing to make up the difference of normal jackstands.. Dave..
Old 02-05-2005, 01:10 AM
R 73 454
Racer

Thought I was an isolated case! My frame is rock solid, however if I have just one set of jack stands just behind the doors, then the front fender / door gap opens up at the top. Very disturbing!!!! 454 w/AC probably doesn't help.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
BTRNSEX
Drifting

It's normal....my C5 does it also.......and as you were told......Crack doors, t-top, and hood just to play it safe...they all flex.

Originally Posted by 81' Corvette Guy
When I was putting tires on my couple years ago..guys at tire place told my how they have instructions from management..for c3 cars that hood, doors and t tops my be adjar before jacking..was told this by the manager. Said they had a couple claims for t tops being broken as the glass would not flex when the frame jacked up and started twisting..just passing on the info..enjoy. Joe..
Old 02-05-2005, 01:04 PM
camaroneil
Racer

guys,
i have a 77 and can jack it at any corner and both the doors open and close fine,
this was mentioned a while ago and i thought it was a good point,

when driving along the road and you go over a bump or pothole do you quickly open the door and then close it again????
if you go over a curb - do you again open and close the door????

i agree there is some flex, but if it stops you opening a door i think ya got problems somewhere,

just my 2 cents,

neil
Old 02-05-2005, 01:17 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.
Better start open those doors for every speed bump!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MEGLADON
I have had mine up like this for several month, and have no issues
with the tops, doors, or TRUNK opening or closing

i did the exact same thing, many times. noticed some flex but can open and close all doors, hood. ive always thought my frame was extremelly stiff? guess not by listening to this thread.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

I've never had any frame flex problem on any C3 that I've owned. 1968,1969, and 1970.

I usually jack the car up from the rear differential spring bracket or in the front from the front crossover member that the front bumpers attach to. I sometiimes jack the car up from frame rail half way between the front and rear wheel.

Someone suggested using a hockey puck on the floor jack support arm. I've been doing that and it's a great idea. My floor jack doesn't scar the paint on the frame and I think the hockey puck makes a good solid attachment; less concern with something slipping. The hockey puck costs $1.49. I'm going to go buy two more. Somehow or another picking up the end of a car weighing 1500s does stress the hockey puck!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

Default I welded up the gaps between stitche welds....

on my 68.
I did the area between the wheels a few years ago. The car feels tighter and doesn't seem to shudder (of course, this is all subjective).

Then 2 years ago I closed up the stitches in the engine compartment while I had the engine out. I only did this because I had time and the engine was out. I couldn't tell much from this, but I'm glad I did it...I suspect it helps. I also rewelded any suspicious looking welds in this area since I had the engine out.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 AM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

Can't say I've had any flex with my 71 coupe... I didn't even know this sort of thing was a problem - I've been jacking with my doors closed and T-tops on!

- Michael

Quick Reply: Body twisting when car is on jack stands