Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtb 71 lt1 oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Michael 59' corvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wtb 71 lt1 oil pan

looking for a oil pan for a 71 LT1 350.
Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

I have one.
geopar@gvtc.com
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you have a ULTRA RARE ZR-1 model with a 6qt "trap door" pan its he same as all the 350 motors in a Vette.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe I have to disagree with Mr. Solid LT-1. I have a GM manufatured (not aftermarket clone) LT-1 engine in my car and it has a 'trap door' oil pan. I didn't really think about why my engine guy was so excited about it until I read this thread and did 5 minutes of research on the subject. I believe the LT-1 engines came with this special oil pan as well as the ZR-1.

Funny thing is, I have two. One is on the car and has the bottom front edge 'fixed' to add clearance for the steering components The other one I have was also 'fixed', but it was done with a hammer...far less elegant.

The really odd part is my understanding that the 6 quart pan needed that 'fix' to clear the power steering components. My car doesn't have power steering and I don't think it ever did. I am, therefore, uncertain as to why the oil pan was modified. I'll take a picture of both when I have the chance.

To the OP: This pan also came with a windage tray that attaches to the bottom of the 4-bolt block. I don't know if the tray will fit on a 2-bolt setup, but if you get one of these pans and you have the 4-bolt block, you'd do well to see if you could get the windage tray also.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I believe I have to disagree with Mr. Solid LT-1. I have a GM manufatured (not aftermarket clone) LT-1 engine in my car and it has a 'trap door' oil pan. I didn't really think about why my engine guy was so excited about it until I read this thread and did 5 minutes of research on the subject. I believe the LT-1 engines came with this special oil pan as well as the ZR-1.

Funny thing is, I have two. One is on the car and has the bottom front edge 'fixed' to add clearance for the steering components The other one I have was also 'fixed', but it was done with a hammer...far less elegant.

The really odd part is my understanding that the 6 quart pan needed that 'fix' to clear the power steering components. My car doesn't have power steering and I don't think it ever did. I am, therefore, uncertain as to why the oil pan was modified. I'll take a picture of both when I have the chance.

To the OP: This pan also came with a windage tray that attaches to the bottom of the 4-bolt block. I don't know if the tray will fit on a 2-bolt setup, but if you get one of these pans and you have the 4-bolt block, you'd do well to see if you could get the windage tray also.
Guy said it was a 71 LT-1 my wife's 70 LT-1 has 6 quart "trap door" oil pan as have most of the 70 LT-1's I have observed. There is argument that in late 1970 model year you could get power steering on a LT-1 if true, then oil pan would have to be a standard 5QT small block pan as the PS ram won't clear a 6QT pan. I believe that with the offering of PS on the LT-1 in 71 most motors were fitted with 5QT oil pans.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I would also second that. My original 1972 LT1 has a 5 qt oil pan from the factory.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

The early to mid 1970 LT-1'S had a 6 QT oil pan so PS was NOT a option because it would not clear the pan. Late 1970 & 71& 2'S had 5 QT. pans & PS could be ordered unless it was a ZR-1

Get notified of new replies

To Wtb 71 lt1 oil pan

Quick Reply: Wtb 71 lt1 oil pan