Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB Seat Tracks - Rough Shape Okay

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default WTB Seat Tracks - Rough Shape Okay

After cleaning and touching up a couple of sets of seat tracks I decided to see if I could locate a set that I could take apart and see what makes them tick. Then I will clean the interior, blast and paint the outside, and reassemble the rivet to put them back together. I sold the last pair for $50 plus shipping so I don't want to put a lot of money into a pair for me to dig into them. If you have a rough pair and are willing to have me take them apart, clean, prime, paint and re-assemble then give me a picture and a price to ship to my home at 18045 and let me see what I can do. I will document the process as well and post it all here on the forum.
Any takers???
David
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not selling my extra Tracks, But wouldn't it help to tell people what Year you want them to fit??? Have a great day. Gene
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by doctorgene
I'm not selling my extra Tracks, But wouldn't it help to tell people what Year you want them to fit??? Have a great day. Gene
I really don't care what year they are for as long as they are for a C3. I am not going to clean them up for me, I am cleaning them up and documenting the cleaning to learn. Be glad to try any in the 69-82 time frame. Thanks for asking Gene.
David
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Rough Shape Seat Tracks

David, I'd like to further your project!!!

I have a rough set that I'd be willing for you to experiment on and I'll pay shipping both ways.

Once I know if there is the charge for your "process", I'll send you photos.

TI
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TeaEye
David, I'd like to further your project!!!

I have a rough set that I'd be willing for you to experiment on and I'll pay shipping both ways.

Once I know if there is the charge for your "process", I'll send you photos.

TI
No charge for my "process" at all. If you send them to me I will disassemble, clean them, media blast them, prime them, paint them, reassemble them with grease, re-install the rivet, and send them back to you. This way I can learn more and you can benefit from it as well, so to me this is a win-win. Send me a photo by PM if you wish and I can look at the general condition of them and make sure I can help you with them within my skill level.
Thanks TI,
David
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Default Seat Rail Challenge

David,

Here are the photos -- Surely a measureable challenge for you. Let me know if you can do something with them.

TI

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

David,

Here are the photos -- Surely a measureable challenge for you. Let me know if you can do something with them.

TI

TI,
My first set was worse than those having sat in water for some 14 years so yes, I believe I can turn those around for you. I will PM you my home address information and look forward to documenting the turn around for you as well. Should be fun.
Thanks for letting me clean these up for you.
David
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

These will look brand new when you get them back. David can't wait to fire up that new blast cabinet.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
TeaEye
Pro

Originally Posted by Gordonm
These will look brand new when you get them back. David can't wait to fire up that new blast cabinet.
I know, I saw some of his previous work -- Looks Great! I wonder what type of paint he is using?

Parts Shipped -- Trk # provided.

Last edited by TeaEye; 04-07-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Shipping Update
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I know, I saw some of his previous work -- Looks Great! I wonder what type of paint he is using?

Parts Shipped -- Trk # provided.

No mystery here. I use two types of blast media, first is pretty course to get the rust off, then I use a glass bead media to smooth the surface. I use rust-oleum automotive primer on the bare metal when it is clean and clear of rust, dirt, grime, grease, etc. I use rust-oleum flat automotive paint for the outer paint surface. I can use matte, semi-gloss, or I can use gloss if you prefer. I like the look of the matte finish but you can pick what you want, works for me. I will also determine how pitted the interior surfaces are, clean them, check the ball bearings, replace them if needed, grease the tracks up and then reassemble them. Will take pictures and post all along the way, this way as I learn you can learn with me.
David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 04-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Have Tracks Now, Thank You

I managed to purchase a few tracks from one of the forum members, those are on their way to me now, and I am going to rebuild a set for another forum member trusting me with his set. I will use the purchased sets to pick parts if needed for the repair of the refurbishing set. Again, I will publish the results and status of the repair and hopefully we can all learn what it takes to bring the tracks back to life after 30-40 years of service. I look forward to it and thank you for your participation. Stay tuned.
David Howard
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

David,

TI

The back bracket on three out of four of these are from a 1975-1977 corvette. The forth one is either a different year or the bracket is broken and removed. I will know more when I can get a closer look at them but that would make the LH bracket a 362981, and the right one 362982. The front brackets are 355383 and I will look for the markings and date codes to see if there are any other distinguishing notations and or codes. Looking forward to their arrival.
David
Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Second Batch of Seat Tracks Coming

Thanks to a great deal from a forum member I have the following parts coming to me this week for my seat track learning project.
Name:  A Seat Track Lot (2).jpg
Views: 400
Size:  206.3 KB
There appear to be a few differnt types and years here and I will look them over very well and document what I find in my thread as I attempt to restore these. I'll begin in the near future on this so stay tuned and thanks for any and all support.
David
Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 AM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck David. I'm anxious to see what's involved in the rebuild.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-1-of-3-a.html

I wanted to let anyone following this thread to know that I have initiated another thread on the inner workings of tracks and I will be working on this set of four tracks soon and will post in that location. I will post this thread over there too so people can see where this started. I will not likely post much more here in the WTB or for sale area but rather over in the general section.

I hope you can join me over there and stay tuned, these tracks are already being worked on.

David
Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Still Looking for Seat Tracks

I am working on a set of seat tracks for another forum member and having a great time learning and getting these tracks back into great condition. They all move freely now, have all been bead blasted, have had two rear brackets replaced with new brackets, and are now at the primer stage. I like to let the primer cure up a couple of days before applying any paint so painting will be this weekend and then next week these will be heading back to the owner. Here they are now, more soon.

Name:  May 12 TeaEye Track Update 1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  May 12 TeaEye Track Update 2.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  May 12 TeaEye Track Update 3.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  46.9 KB

Won't be long now and learned some new things with this set so my appreciation once again for TeaEye and his support of my efforts.

Thanks for watching and if you have some tracks, lets talk.

David Howard
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Carl914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it too late to get in on this super great offer? I have a pair of very rusty '81 seat rails that are in sad condition.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB Seat Tracks - Rough Shape Okay

Quick Reply: WTB Seat Tracks - Rough Shape Okay