Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS - Complete 383 with T5 trans and accessories in MD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FS - Complete 383 with T5 trans and accessories in MD

Less than 500 miles on everything, engine and trans are still in my '84 so you can see them run. I won't pull it until it's sold and paid for. Specs on the engine:

2-piece rear main seal, 2-bolt main vette block. Block is only .010" over (I believe this technically makes it a 377 motor)
Eagle forged steel stroker crank, 3.75" stroke, external balance
Stock vette rods, 'fluxed, small ends honed for full-floating wrist pins, new bolts
Speedpro hypereutectic pistons, coated skirts
Entire rotating assembly was balanced to a custom small-diameter harmonic balancer and a forged steel flywheel
Cam is a custom grind int/exh 224/234 @ .050 and .465/.488 lift with 1.5 rockers
Heads are GM 462 ironheads, mild bowl and port work, larger exhausts (1.94 intakes/1.60 exhausts)
Intake is a Weiand Stealth tall d/p with a Holley StreetAvenger 670 carb vac secondaries and elec choke
Summit HEI distributor

The engine is an excellent street engine. The 76cc heads with a couple thou off and flat-top pistons make 9.8:1 static compression. Engine runs on 87 octane just fine without knocking. Strong idle, plenty of vacuum for power brakes. Needs a little more tuning to get out a flat-spot off idle (I think it needs the next bump up accelerator pump nozzle). In a 3500# car with a 3.07 rear and it has no trouble breaking the tires free in 1st and 2nd. With a steeper rear end ratio this would be a very fast setup that's still well-mannered enough to drive every day. Engine has not been dyno'd and the car has not been to the track, so I don't know what the hp/tq is. The trans is a 80's camaro T5, non "world-class", that was just rebuilt in town at a respectable shop. Shifts great. The clutch is a Ram 3700# pressure plate with an organic disc, setup with a vette hydraulic clutch slave. I'm looking to sell the engine/trans as a complete package. Including the accessories and serpentine setup (brand new water pump, power steering pump with remote reservoir, CS144 alternator). Would make a great drop-in drivetrain for a hotrod or whatever you happen to be building. Price for the running package from aircleaner to tailshaft is $3250. Buy this setup and be ready to run for spring. As I said at the beginning, though, the engine must be paid for before I will remove it from the car. Only pics I have are the engine in the car:

Quick Reply: FS - Complete 383 with T5 trans and accessories in MD