Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Mounting Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alternator Mounting Bracket

Have a GMPP ZZ383 for my 1971 roadster project. Bought the car as a basket case, proceeded to restore frame and prepping new motor now, for install. Car was only partially complete, missing a ton of parts when I dove in. I am not a mechanic, and this is my first attempt(and last) at a car restoration. I have come up with a crankshaft pulley(GM#3858533) and a waterpump pulley (GM # 3991423). My car is set up for power steering. My question is, if I retain the original power steering pump and brackets, can I move up to a newer or updated set of alternator brackets. I do not have any that came with the roadster, and from what I can tell from my AIM and different catalogs, the 68-71 brackets look to be a bit cumbersome, as compared to the bracket used on the 72-82 small blocks. Will the 72-82 design work on my engine and allow me to retain the stock power steering set-up. If so could anyone supply me with the correct GM part numbers I need to find the brackets. Thank you in advance, I would never have been able to get to where I am with this project without this site and the help and advice it has provided me.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

When I put headers on my '71, I was faced with using one of the crummy "adjustable" alternator brackets sold at various auto parts stores. I was happy to find that the lower '72 bracket coupled with the upper curved arm was all I needed to mount it successfully. The part number on mine is 3951337. I see them often on eBay and every now and then here. Easy, simple change

Here's one on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...Q5fAccessories

And another - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by BSiegPaint; 01-10-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Brad Maynard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 71 style alternator bracket really does not have anything to do with the power steering pump, but just the change in design of the left exhaust manifold.

You should be able to use 72 style brackets fine provided that you do not have a 71 left manifold on the car and that you have heads with the accessory bolt holes (because the 72 bracket mounts to head).

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Mounting Bracket

Quick Reply: Alternator Mounting Bracket