Sponsored by:

Choke coil year?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 10:46 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Choke coil year?

Found this in a box of “extra” parts from when we 1st purchased the 68 years ago.

Is this to the original 68 427 carb?

@lars

Old 04-07-2024, 07:44 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,332 Posts

From the cover i think it's a 68-69 427 3x2 choke. The slot for the rod is on the opposite side of the cover for 3x2 verse all single 4 bbl covers and chokes.

I'm traveling this weekend and don't have any reference material available, but I'm pretty sure the 3x2 choke and cover have the rod and slot on the left and 4 bbl's have it on the right.

There are so many different rods that it's hard to tell which rod it is without having another rod or picture to compare it too, but if it's a 3x2 choke it's probably a 3x2 rod. I don't know if I have any 3x2 rods or chokes in stock, but I'll try to look when I get in tomorrow.

There's no doubt it's a 69 or older choke because the 70-74 cover looks completely different. The 70 up cover is taller and rounder on top.

The following users liked this post:
c1nicole (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:35 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,932 Posts

That's the one-year-only '68 Q-Jet Vette choke coil. It is opposite all other Q-Jet choke coils. It will only work with a real '68 Vette Q-Jet that has the choke coil rod forward of the choke lever rotation shaft.

Here is the only Q-Jet carb that coil will work with - this is the "duckbill" '68 427 390 horse carb with opposite choke rotation and choke rod attach hole located forward of the rotation point for the choke shaft:

Lars
c1nicole (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 02:38 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lars
That's the one-year-only '68 Q-Jet Vette choke coil. It is opposite all other Q-Jet choke coils. It will only work with a real '68 Vette Q-Jet that has the choke coil rod forward of the choke lever rotation shaft.

Here is the only Q-Jet carb that coil will work with - this is the "duckbill" '68 427 390 horse carb with opposite choke rotation and choke rod attach hole located forward of the rotation point for the choke shaft:

Lars

Thank you @lars

Old 04-10-2024, 12:00 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,932 Posts

I retract my statement - I looked at that wrong. The choke coil shown is obviously cold, and it has the rod retracted DOWN all the way to where the surface of the intake manifold would be. That's a 1969+ choke coil or a 327 1968 choke. It is not a 1968 Corvette 427 choke.

This info is outlined in detail in the 1968 Service manual in the "Fuel" section.

Here is the standard 327 & 350 small block choke coil. As stated in the Service Manual:

"The passenger car automatic choke assemblies are shown in their relative installed position when the choke is in the fully applied (choke ON --choke rod hitting stop) position. The arrows show the direction the coils and rods move when closing the choke valve."

Note that the small block choke coil pulls downwards to pull the choke closed when the engine is cold:

The passenger car big blocks (396 & 427) use the same system as the small blocks, pulling the choke rod downwards when cold. When the choke coil is cold, the "loop" that the choke rod slips into is at the bottom for the coil stroke, as shown in the photos the OP posted above:

Here is the 1968 Corvette-only 427 Q-Jet choke coil. When it is cold, it pushes upwards, and the coil's rod loop is at the TOP of the stroke, enabling the choke coil to pull DOWNWARDS when the engine heats up. This choke coil only works with the '68 427 Vette Q-Jet utilizing the "duckbill" choke lever (shown in my photos above) or with the Tripower system:

Here are photos of coils being sold by vendors. The photos show the coils upside-down, which tells you how much the vendors know about the products they're selling.

This is a correct '68 Q-Jet and Tripower choke coil. Knowing that the part is shown upside-down, you can see that the coil's rod loop is at the TOP of its stroke, and on the left, bottom (as shown in the photo) is a small tang that is the "UP-STOP" for the choke rod when it is inserted into the coil. Some vendors show this coil as the choke coil for 1968 & 1969 427. This is not correct. The '69 427 used the conventional-rotation coil. This choke coil can only be used on the '68 "duckbill" Q-Jet or Tripower:

This is the small block choke coil being sold by all vendors, with some vendors claiming this to also be the '68-'69 427 coil. This coil is correct for all applications, except '68 427 Vette Q-Jet and 427 Tripower. Note that the coil is shown upside down, so with that in mind, you can see that the coil is at the BOTTOM of its stroke, pulling downwards on the choke rod when the engine is hot. The coil has an "L" shaped tang visible on the right side which provides a DOWNSTOP for the choke rod instead of an UPSTOP as shown on the 427 coil:

Lars

Last edited by lars; 04-10-2024 at 12:08 AM.
c1nicole (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:25 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

@lars

Thank you for taking the time to specify.

Your knowledge never ceases to impress me.

I know I sent you a video, but for others that may have interest in the fiasco I am currently working with you to correct:

Will post pictures of, and perhaps start a new thread to track the set up of my new carb @lars has rebuilt for me.

This is my current set up that is not running correctly.

Aware that the rod is not attached as that was part of the problem it was having. It “drove” from the trailer to the garage so it’s “running”. 😬

Get notified of new replies

To Choke coil year?

Quick Reply: Choke coil year?