Sponsored by:

keep, sell or throw away

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 01:51 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Interesting take on originality on BaT: "arkbuildernoah (The Seller) This author's likes: 493We did this project for a customer, so we don’t own the Corvette and I told him we would sell the engine off when we were done.

That being said, the days of lots and lots of people doing high-end, all original Corvette restoration are unfortunately over.

They are still being done, and that is a cool thing. It is just not the way it once was.

I can certainly appreciate an all original car, especially one that is totally unmolested and has never been restored or messed with. In fact, after doing restorations here for almost 20 years, that is one of the things I think is the coolest in this hobby.

That being said, the people that appreciate all the original cars from the 50s 60s and even 70s 70s are dwindling. Unless you were fortunate enough to have parents who would’ve bought you one of these cars when you were 16, the original owners of these cars are no longer with us.

Restomods are quite simply a reflection of the current market. People like the old styling, but, are spoiled by modern conveniences. It’s a best of both worlds approach and it’s probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

As with other Corvette chassis and engines, we’ve pulled out of cars, they’ve gone on to live inside other vehicles and most are on the road today.

This engine and fuel injected unit are selling at no reserve. Hopefully they end up in something cool. "

Doesn't make it any easier to put a price on things however!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...engine-engine/

Last edited by ignatz; 04-07-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:28 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Ignition shielding. All here I think. The distributor box and cover are repros, and would be seperately sold.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:10 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A plausible (but not perfect for reasons in the previous text) L46 top end. I am just gauging whether this heavy heavy configuration might be of interest to someone with a short block!

Old 04-09-2024, 05:17 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

The parts are definitely usable to someone attempting to put together a correctly dated numbers engine. The heads maybe a bit more than the intake as the double hump 186
heads are getting harder to find.
The carb is useful also, but it is a service replacement, so does not help with numbers, but still a viable carb. I have a service dated carb on my 1969 L46. I would think there
are way more service dated carbs in use on these old cars than original factory born with carbs.
Yes, this stuff is heavy, so shipping is definitely an issue, especially these days.

Joe
Old 04-10-2024, 05:21 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Copper Jimmy
I’m interested in the reconditioned seatbelts if they are black. Please let me know. I’m located in Martinez and can pick up. Thanks
Hi Jimmy - sent you a PM - have a look!
Old 04-15-2024, 07:13 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I suspect these are "throw-aways". I know the repros look really good and I put a full set on my car.

Thes should be original but does it even matter? The backup lenses have slight cracks. If anybody wants these they are free plus the shipping for a USPS medium flat rate box.

The white spot on the upper right lens is just a reflection.

Last edited by ignatz; 04-15-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:16 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

This should be an original distributor. It has a Delco Remey aluminum band with some numbers and a 331 casting number. Turns fine and the points open and close. I might have a tach cable if called upon to check that operation.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:24 PM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I suspect these are "throw-aways". I know the repros look really good and I put a full set on my car.

Thes should be original but does it even matter? The backup lenses have slight cracks. If anybody wants these they are free plus the shipping for a USPS medium flat rate box.

The white spot on the upper right lens is just a reflection.

Cliff,
I'd love to have those tailight lenses.

Thanks

joe
Old 04-15-2024, 08:39 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,954 Posts

Hey Cliff,
I see this thread has been running a while but I just noticed it.
If there are items that you don’t sell, there is the Pay-it-Forward sticky that comes open every year around the holidays.
I’ve given away many parts from my 73 there.
When I have parts I no longer need or want, I sell them at a super low price that basically covers my cost to package the part and my driving expense to and from the UPS depot.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
BarrelCurve (04-15-2024), ignatz (04-15-2024), Tuna Joe (04-16-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 12:52 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Another "treasure" from the attic. I pulled this seven-bladed fan out and discovered it has a 3955182 part number and was used on 350/350 AC cars, which mine wasn't and I think on big blocks. eBay sellers want big money for just the fan, some of which seems a bit outrageous. Anyway I have a complete assembly with the clutch. It's clean and seems somewhat rare and I am trying to figure out how to value it and who the right buyers are. Not looking to get rich here but I have to respect the market.

I don't know what the other numbers mean. Anybody?

Got my question coincidentally answered in the tech section

Last edited by ignatz; 04-24-2024 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: keep, sell or throw away