C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 1 year items will I find I need on a 68??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 08:23 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DudePa
I saw this ad on Craigslist the other day... I too live in AZ, and have a 68 roadster project as well, so the ad caught my attention.
I have a spare aftermarket L88 long hood (wiper door delete) that would fit this car. It is a bit rough and needs some work, but I would part with it real cheap.
Well that may help the deal........does yours have any hardware attached? And feel free to send me a pic to my email.

rls196906@yahoo.com

Thanks, Rob
Old 03-31-2024, 08:58 PM
DudePa
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No hardware attached. I will email you some pictures.

Thanks, Lonnie
The following users liked this post:
azmusclecar (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:25 PM
Chagjr
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Based on the uniqueness of the 1968 Corvette, plus the unavailability of some of the one year parts, this model year of the C3 would make it extremely RARE!.

Sort of a C2.5.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:42 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,640 Likes on 2,798 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

A good paint job if you have to pay a professional could put you waaaaayyyyy upside down on a car like this. One of the things I always tell people shopping for a Corvette, frame, birdcage, PAINT. Everything else is fixable.
This one seems to be missing bumpers and it needs paint.
I personally would pass.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:28 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
A good paint job if you have to pay a professional could put you waaaaayyyyy upside down on a car like this. One of the things I always tell people shopping for a Corvette, frame, birdcage, PAINT. Everything else is fixable.
This one seems to be missing bumpers and it needs paint.
I personally would pass.
The seller has "ALL" the parts removed like the bumpers and brackets as the car was being prepped for paint. So I will need to document all
the parts and then compare that to the state of the car. Looks like a long inspection is coming with all the info you and others have shared.
But it's better to be well armed to make a decision than doing the usual emotional purchase with buyer's remorse setting in not long and reality
is a hard taskmaster.

I try to find the good somewhere hidden in the bad. I'm trying to scratch the itch of having something in the garage that I can spend hours with,
and try to make it better, even if it's just painting a part. My time in my garage doing something I love, listening to the music of the 50s and 60s
makes this world and all it's concerns go away. It's back to my youth in my head, but my face and body won't agree to that. So, when the mind
no longer wants to honor my past and tells me it's time for the rocking chair, I can at least say I gave it the best shot I could. And go out with a grin
on my wrinkled face leaving others to face the challenges that lie before them.
Rescue Rogers (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 10:41 AM
Chagjr
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

AZmusclecar, the “68 Vette” you show for me, has already self identified itself as going in the Rest-o-mod direction. Pricing for a car like this can be very negotiable.

This can be the path of least resistance on a project car and a lot of fun.

Your thoughts on what you are considering based on age and time, this looks like a good candidate.

If your car experience is limited where you cannot discern the condition of the car from a cursory inspection, have someone you trust check it out.

I like your thoughts, a slow roll garage ornament project that you can take out for a short thrash to get the juices flowing.

Me personally, I would get the hard top, add a roll bar, and take the car in the race car replica direction. You can simply $ell the stock parts no longer needed for the Rest-O-mod.

Something like this with bumpers and factory headlights.

Last edited by Chagjr; 04-01-2024 at 10:55 AM.
azmusclecar (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:59 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,431 Likes on 3,981 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I need to paint mine eventually...i may do it myself when im closer to retirement...maybe you could paint yours yourself
Old 04-01-2024, 03:59 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 278 Likes on 212 Posts

FYI the 68 hardtop, if you have the original 68 receivers on your rear deck, will not accept the through bolts. You will need to use the same pins that the convertible top uses.

The receivers were changed sometime after 1968.
azmusclecar (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:25 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

I'd like to thank forum member DudePA for his help today assessing some value to the 68. Since he owns one himself, it was good to hear the good, the bad,
and of course there is no ugly. He helped me develop a baseline for the car. Very nice for him to reach out and offer his help. Car is still being considered.
Hope to make a decision by Thursday to drive the 3 hours to see it.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:12 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

My 68 originally had the hard top. I got rid of it. It came from the factory, but didn't fit well. There's a lot of body flex with the 68, so the hard top rattles a lot. Also the pins where the hard top mates to the top of the windshield frame tore up the chrome molding pieces mounted on the windshield frame. Tore open the mounting holes. To replace these chrome pieces, you have to remove the windshield. Also the hard top banging around also managed to chip the driver's side and passenger's side window glasses. Lot's of fun finding OEM 68 vert windows...which I did. On a smooth road, the hard top did reduce interior noise. I was glad to get rid of it.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:31 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Wow....thats a lot of parts huntin and maybe hard findin for this car....thx for the short laundry list.
Also be aware you'll run into similar issues early '69 vs late' 69 cars as well. Early 69s used some '68 carry over parts.

I've had 4' 69s in the garage, the '68 is my favorite and the one I still own. Best of luck.

Last edited by Corey_68; 04-03-2024 at 10:30 AM.
azmusclecar (04-03-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 05:51 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Sad to say once again no joy. A seller trying to maximize profit on a car his neighbor basically gave him and the seller has no idea or let's say mistaken ideas on the cars
worth. Of course I heard about one that Barrett Jackson had that went for a kazillion dollars. And of course the seller could fix the car up for 5K. Wow....he should go into
business. The car drove like crap, after 5 minutes it became irritable to ride in. Way over cammed. And when I told him I didn't want it he was shocked and then pissed
and basically asked me to leave. It is a 15K car and he has had ALL these offers and still wanted 21K. I guess I look stupider than I truly am. Next sucker, step up.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:56 PM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 335 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sorry to hear that.....what's the world coming to....

Quick Reply: What 1 year items will I find I need on a 68??